Latest post Mon, Feb 28 2011 4:42 PM by TCurren. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 18 2011 7:03 PM

• Abie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Telaviv
    • Posts 268
    • Points 3,310

Symphony 5.5 - too quiet in here

Several days since the launch of a new version and not ONE  comment in here. Underwhelmed...

Most release have at least something for Symphony - this time nothing, but as usual we will probably be forced to pay more for an upgrade than MC 5.5 [:'(]

Although I have seen nothing about pricing yet.

14xMC 5.03 on HP xw8200/8400/8600 2xSymphony Nitris DX 5.03 and 6.0 HP Z800/6 or 12 Gb ram/nvidia Quadro 4800 [view my complete system specs]

Abie Edit Studios Telaviv

• Fri, Feb 18 2011 7:28 PM In reply to

Re: Symphony 5.5 - too quiet in here

Abie:
    Most release have at least something for Symphony

Really? Which ones?

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 18 2011 7:29 PM In reply to

Abie, the new versions have been ANNOUNCED. They will not be RELEASED until March 8th. Please don't jump the gun.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Feb 18 2011 8:02 PM In reply to

Larry,

How is this jumping the gun? Version 5.5 has been announced. What Symphony-specific features are being mentioned?

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 18 2011 8:03 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 200
    • Points 2,485

Whenever a new version of Symphony comes out they just repeat the Advanced Color Correction and Universal Mastering like they are new features. They also mention it being a turnkey system. The upgrades in the past have always been more $$ than MC even though you're not getting anything really new or different than MC. Kind of a bummer... Wish they would develop Symphony more.  

Does anybody know the upgrade price of Symphony from 5.0 to 5.5?

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.9, 32GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 24TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Fri, Feb 18 2011 9:20 PM In reply to

Abie:

Several days since the launch of a new version and not ONE  comment in here. Underwhelmed...

Emphasis in the quote is mine.

A launch of a product is when it is released and made available for sale to the public, and nothing regarding 5.5 has been "launched" at this time. For that reason I believe Abie's comment above is premature. We, the moderators, have not yet received the field test links we always get to test downloading, installing and initial performance before the switch is thrown at the download center. Other than the beta testers, no one has MC 5.5 to test drive and make comments on, and we know that the beta testers are bound by an NDA. Yes, so far, no mention of Symphony has been made, but that doesn't preclude developments along that line between now and the projected launch date of March 8th. If past performance is any indication, new versions of MC, Newscutter and Symphony are released simultaneously. 

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Feb 18 2011 10:36 PM In reply to

FYI, I can now tell you that there will indeed be a Symphony 5.5.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Feb 19 2011 7:36 AM In reply to

Larry Rubin:

Larry, of course there will be. And Symphony 5.5 showed up on the website this week simultaneously with MC 5.5. In fact, you almost seem to think there would have been a chance that Symphony would have been discontinued. Didn't cross my mind.

What bothers us is that Symphony - according to the information Avid is providing right there on their website - has no new or improved features other than what MC is getting....yet again.

Even more so, this is one of the features that is listed on the Avid website as being 'new' in SYMPHONY 5.5:

Capture and monitor audio in Media Composer projects using Pro Tools hardware

For the record: if you read the FAQ's, PT hardware only works in software-only or IEE1394 mode. So that means an absolute no-go for that hardware on Symphony, as Symphony won't launch without a Nitris (DX) attached. So a Media Composer-only feature is advertised on this Symphony product page. Adding insult to injury.

You seem to want to tell us to hold on for an actual announcement, but Symphony 5.5 has already been announced. If (and that's a Big IF) Symphony 5.5 has any new features that they have NOT announced yet (I for one am not holding my breath), then that would be yet another example of VERY bad customer communications.

Finally, if it's going to be anything like previous releases, a Symphony 5.5 upgrade will be around 80% more expensive than the MC upgrade, and that's without receiving anything more for those bucks (less in fact!). Bottom line, it means having to pay in order to KEEP the two features that Symph still holds over MC. Much like the support contracts for Symph are more expensive than support contracts for MC. Symph owners have put up with that for some time now.

Time to decide what the roadmap for Symphony will be.

• Sat, Feb 19 2011 2:43 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 706
    • Points 8,850

Am I going nuts or is this 'new feature', one that has been available in earlier versions of Avid software?

I remember a number of years ago using a Digidesign 02 mixing desk with Avid Xpress Pro (5.8) and that worked perfectly with a Mojo SDI attached. If the 02 was switched on when you started Xpress Pro it would capture and play out through the 02. If it was switched off and re-started then it reverted to using the Mojo inputs/outputs. It certainly wasn't necessary to disconnect the Mojo or switch to IEE1394. I assumed that all versions of MC and Symphony behaved in a similar way, but I guess this cannot be the case.

I know not many people used the 02 hooked up to MC. Mostly it was used in the old Avid Studio setup, which had Xpress Pro and Protools co-installed.

Job ter Burg:

Larry Rubin:

Larry, of course there will be. And Symphony 5.5 showed up on the website this week simultaneously with MC 5.5. In fact, you almost seem to think there would have been a chance that Symphony would have been discontinued. Didn't cross my mind.

What bothers us is that Symphony - according to the information Avid is providing right there on their website - has no new or improved features other than what MC is getting....yet again.

Even more so, this is one of the features that is listed on the Avid website as being 'new' in SYMPHONY 5.5:

Capture and monitor audio in Media Composer projects using Pro Tools hardware

For the record: if you read the FAQ's, PT hardware only works in software-only or IEE1394 mode. So that means an absolute no-go for that hardware on Symphony, as Symphony won't launch without a Nitris (DX) attached. So a Media Composer-only feature is advertised on this Symphony product page. Adding insult to injury.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 19 2011 8:59 PM In reply to

Bruno M:
    Am I going nuts or is this 'new feature', one that has been available in earlier versions of Avid software?

There was support for the 002, I think there's still some for Command|8, never for the entire line of products, let alone MBoxes. It appears to be a move to a more open structure. And I applaud that. Back in the ABVB and Meridien days, Avid used (rebranded) Digidesign boxes for the audio part of the I/O (442, 888). That ended with Adrenaline. I regretted that, especially since Adrenaline came with fewer audio I/O than the 888 had (even though the 888 was an old, old box, limited to 16bit, and Avid should have exchanged it at the same time they abandoned ABVB).

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 12:49 PM In reply to

Does anyone know if V5.5 does any Classic Nitris of Adrenaline firmware updating?

Thanks

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Feb 24 2011 12:10 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,555

Pat Horridge:

Does anyone know if V5.5 does any Classic Nitris of Adrenaline firmware updating?

Thanks

I doubt it since there has been no firmware updates from around 2.7.2 and for this hardware it is literally the EOL.

Just on the Pro Tools hardware issue, Adrenaline has always worked with Digi 002 since MC became software only and the flamethrower files were unified between Pro Tools and MC. It works very well with MC, providing an added control surface benefit unequalled currently with even Nitris but unlike the Mojos it will not allow Arenaline to be used as video output for Pro Tools.

MC with Symphony option, 2020.9, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 25 2011 12:52 PM In reply to

That's good as it will allow me to move our Symphony to 5.5 and still have the dual boot DS 10.3.1 option.

Last leg for this set up and an unsupported configuration of course. Loath to lose 10.3.1 because it's so rock solid. The freelance editors who come in to use it always comment on how stable it is against the newer builds they also work on.

Of course that may just be my fantastic system support and care :-)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Fri, Feb 25 2011 12:54 PM In reply to

Mercer:
    the flamethrower files were unified between Pro Tools and MC.

I think MC5 and PT9 saw the un-unification of those.

• Fri, Feb 25 2011 3:39 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,555

Job ter Burg:

Mercer:
    the flamethrower files were unified between Pro Tools and MC.

I think MC5 and PT9 saw the un-unification of those.

No this is not correct I have been using Mojo with MC and Pro Tools with the same DNA flamethrower drivers since Pro Tools 7.3.1 and MC 2.7.2 and this is when the firmware updates ended and they are certainly unified on MC5 and Pro Tools 8 that I am now using.

Maybe you mean the audio drivers? Which is good news if they are the same.

MC with Symphony option, 2020.9, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller