Latest post Fri, Feb 11 2011 5:19 AM by adamsonn. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 9 2011 7:30 PM

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 695
    • Points 10,330

Can an EDL do this

Hello

I have a sequence of about 100 images on the timeline - all have transitions and other effects applied.

This is essentially a photo build up of an engineering project completed over 2 years.

My problem is that the client may want to replace some pics used in the video with pics they deem to be betters.

I have given them a CD of the pics physically used in the production, but I also want to produce a text document of where and when each picture is used in the production. 

This will allow tjhem to tell me easily where to slot in replacement pictures.

I have tried to produce an EDL of the sequence but the output of the EDL seems to not show the picture clip names in linear sequence (i.e. in the sequence that they appear on the timline) and it does not show the TC, the start / end and duration of each clip.(Well if it does then it does it in a format that is not easily undertsandable by a simple person such as myself)

I have to put in a disclaimer here - I have never had the need to use an EDL, I am not sure if this is what the purpose of an EDL is or if it can do it, but if it can, it will save me tons of time.

Any assistance in getting this clip list output from MC5 would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Neil

MC6 machine: Intel Core i7 Asus P8-H67 64 bit Motherboard 1*1Tb SATA drive - partitioned to C (OS and programs) and D (data) drive 1*1TB SATA drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 9 2011 7:51 PM In reply to

Re: Can an EDL do this

Hi Neil,

An EDL is a way of taking a sequence from one system to another one; in short, it tells the second system where all the shots in the sequence came from and where they go in the sequence.  Depending on the format, an EDL might be a way to accomplish what you want, but you'd need a format that shows the clip names, and I don't know one off the top of my head that does (not saying it doesn't exist, just that I don't know one).

I've also considered the possibility that you could set up a bin display or a sequence report to accomplish the same thing, but I can't find a way to display the clips in sequence order in either one.  Hopefully someone smarter than me will come along soon.

[edited to add] Here's a method that might work:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/45/877421

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2020.10 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Feb 9 2011 7:59 PM In reply to

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • South Africa
    • Posts 695
    • Points 10,330

Hello Carl

Thanks for the response - I have also been looking at the sequence report and I thought I had found the answer, but as you point out it does not display the clips in the sequence order but rather in alphanumeric order.(Pity about this).

I will carry on trying, but once again thanks so much for the response - it is appreciated and has put me onto another track to investigate (excuse the pun) 

Regards

MC6 machine: Intel Core i7 Asus P8-H67 64 bit Motherboard 1*1Tb SATA drive - partitioned to C (OS and programs) and D (data) drive 1*1TB SATA drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 9 2011 8:07 PM In reply to

I would create a DVD of the program with large burned in TC so the client can just ask you to replace the shot from  xx:yy:zz:aa   to xx:yy:bb:aa with this new phot file name xxxx

• Wed, Feb 9 2011 10:49 PM In reply to

• Haze
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 764
    • Points 10,205

I might use the locators tool for this task. 

If you add a locator to each shot you can then open up the locator tool and export a text file.   You can then import this file into Excel (or Open Office) to create a spreadsheet.  The problem with this approach is that it gives you the locator number and timecode only.  In order to include the name of the clip you would either have to add it manually in the comments of the locator or add in manually on the spreadsheet.

Alternatively, you could turn on the images in the locator tool and print the locator bin.  Again, you wouldn't have clip names, but you would have a thumbnail image of each clip at that timecode number.

Both of these approaches are half-baked in the neither automatically includes the clip name.  Perhaps you could figure out a way to merge the clip names from the sequence report with the exported data from the locator tool.

Avid DS 11 | Z800, Symphony 6.5 | HP xw 8600, MC 6.5 | HP Z400, Unity Storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 11 2011 5:19 AM In reply to

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • South Africa
    • Posts 695
    • Points 10,330

Thanks for the assistance and suggestions  - I am still looking at the Creative Cow link and the suggestions provided there but in the meantime the timecode burn in will suffice.

Cheers

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller