Latest post Wed, Feb 9 2011 7:02 PM by adamsonn. 39 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 8 2011 7:02 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Re: What animation/graphic programs are Avid editors using?

adamsonn:

As a lot of people have provided links to the Avid FX  / Boris Red tutorials - I will refrain from doing so as well.

But suffice to say the tutorials provide a lot of value as there are a number of concepts in them that can be used in other projects.

Also, just to clarify; Although a lot of the BCC filters are available in both Avid MC and Avid FX, I need to state that I do most of my compositing and FX work inside the Avid FX standalone application / interface and not through BCC -

In fact I run Avid FX on a seperate machine to MC5 and export my titles and FX etc as animated movs with alpha channel. 

By doing this I can concentrate on the physical editing in MC and the titling etc in Avid FX.

I am reaching a point now where even simple titles that used to be done in Photoshop or AvidMarquee / Titler are now done in Avid FX.

As I am not familiar with AE I cannot comment on if it is better than Avid FX, but each time I think I should buy the CS5 suite - my wallet snaps shut and a little voice (possibly my wife) asks "what for? You have never not been able to do something in the tools you have - spend the money on something else".

Neil

I think that this was a very nice post Neil, thanks a lot for sharing your experiences and thoughts

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Feb 8 2011 7:16 PM In reply to

The enthusiastic recommendations...and the paucity of my wallet...has convinced me to try Avid FX/Boris Red before spending the money on After Effects. 

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Tue, Feb 8 2011 9:54 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,432
    • Points 61,250
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Good choice, imho. I'm a bit disappointed with Adobe...the pricing is high and their upgrade policy requires frequent action in order to avoid losing the opportunity to upgrade. ...and there are other programs out there that are equal or better for less money. CorelDRAW!, for example, is better than Illustrator, imho.

Mac Pro, 64GB Ram. 1TB SSD system drive, 250Gb SSD external (media) drive. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.12.1. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 8 2011 10:11 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 748
    • Points 11,365

It just depends on how fancy you want to get. AvidFX/Boris are fine for many things, but they will never be able to match the options and depth of After Effects. I work for a small Corporate Video group, and so I am also the resident animation guy. AvidFx & Boris are not capable of doing about 90% of the animations I do. AvidFX / Boris are simply not very advanced tools by comparison, and we do a disservice to great tools if we pretend otherwise.

But I realise that most editors out there are not doing advanced animation on a regular basis. It's simply a matter of the right tools for your needs.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Tue, Feb 8 2011 10:42 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,457
    • Points 234,105
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Terry Snyder:

The enthusiastic recommendations...and the paucity of my wallet...has convinced me to try Avid FX/Boris Red before spending the money on After Effects. 

Terry,

Here is a link to the latest news from Boris.
    As you can see, even After Effects gets some of its versatility from being able to use Boris plug-ins.

http://www.dv.com/article/102414

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 8 2011 10:51 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,457
    • Points 234,105
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Atomike:
    AvidFX / Boris are simply not very advanced tools by comparison, and we do a disservice to great tools if we pretend otherwise.

Mike,

As I said early in this thread: After Effects has a lot more than Boris has. But I also pointed out that as many pros, like yourself, have already been using AE and know it inside out, they have never had the need to explore Boris in any depth.
    It is also a little unfair to Boris products to relegate them.
    I have not used AE very much at all. Now I have begun to be proficient enough with the Boris family and I know from experience that there is a width and a depth in Boris that many have never seen.

Regards,

Douglas

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 8 2011 11:12 PM In reply to

drbgaijin:
    Terry,

Here is a link to the latest news from Boris.

Thanks, Douglas.   And I'm looking forward to seeing your next set of tutorials.   Since I already have AvidFX (which came with my MC 4), I'll give it a shot at learning it.   Even if I do end up going with After Effects, I'm sure the experience with learning one FX program will translate into a faster learning curve on other FX programs.  

I also appreciate everyone's feedback on this thread.   That's what I like about these forums.   I can post a question and get educated opinions from Avid users before going out and spending $$$ on a new piece of software.

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Tue, Feb 8 2011 11:24 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,432
    • Points 61,250
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

I'll say this. I needed to create a convincing light painting effect and i explored doing it in After Effects. I also consulted Boris about it... my liason resulted in Boris doing a tutorial on it (see my previous link on Boris FX tutorials). At least in this one case (not speaking on others), Boris FX offered a superior workflow...far less complex than AE. I also recently watched a presentation on improving Avid work using BCC. The presenter commented that he finds Boris FX to be adequate for the majority of his work. Having said all that, we all know that After Effects is more powerful and also more complex...and it is the industry standard for good reason.

Mac Pro, 64GB Ram. 1TB SSD system drive, 250Gb SSD external (media) drive. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.12.1. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 8 2011 11:29 PM In reply to

Just wanted to throw in my vote for After Effects. Like any comprehensive program, the more time you spend with it, the more you can do with it. Pretty limitless. And lots of help out there via Google. Get lots of RAM, say 16GB with four cores of CPU and your renders and previews will go fast. I just discovered that and it's amazing compared to the wait times I had before.

MC 7.0.2 iMac 4Ghz Intel Core i7 OSX 10.10.3, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, AMD radeon R9 M295X 4096MB, Retina 5k 27" + Dell 24", Flanders Scientific LM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 9 2011 7:02 PM In reply to

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 695
    • Points 10,330

Hello

Irrespective of the tool you use - make sure that you invest the time and the effort into learning it properly.

(At this point I would say that despite the number of hours I have spent in Avid FX, I am still only a beginner, and I stare in awe at what a skilled and knowledgable Avid FX operator can do )

Some of the sample rolls I have seen done by skilled people on these tools (Blufftitler included) are fantastic,

but you have to know how! (And what you want)

Yet, so many times I have seen people jump from 1 tool to the next because 'it cannot be done with this application'

PS- We should have forum challenges to present the funkiest things done in the last week / month etc. So often this forum is filled with technical discussions, but where/how do we share our creative discussions?

MC6 machine: Intel Core i7 Asus P8-H67 64 bit Motherboard 1*1Tb SATA drive - partitioned to C (OS and programs) and D (data) drive 1*1TB SATA drive... [view my complete system specs]
Page 3 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller