Latest post Thu, Feb 3 2011 7:22 AM by BobbyMurcerFan. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 2 2011 10:26 AM

Combing visible on DNxHD output to SD DVD - where am I going wrong?

I've noticed for a while now that if I send QT Ref from a 1080i/50 project (eg. DNxHD 120 or 185 flavour) as QT ref to Sorenson, and then author the DVD in Encore, there is combing noticable in high motion areas on the final DVD. This does not happen with 25i projects.

My workflow as follows:

1) Shoot P2 1080i/50 and import in MC via AMA

2) Mixdown/transcode final sequence to DNxHD

3) Export to Squeeze as QT Ref

4) Apply stock PAL DVD preset in Squeeze

5) Author disk in Encore

The combing is not visible if I send transcoded SD (25i) media to Squeeze instead of HD.

Any idea where I'm going wrong? I'd prefer to send my HD projects to Squeeze as Hd instead of first having to size them down to SD first.

Using Squeeze 7 and MC 5.0.3.7r (Win7)

PS apologies for the ugly-as-sin frame grab...best I could find in a hurry. The highlighted combing is visible on both interlaced and progressive monitors.

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 2 2011 10:34 AM In reply to

Re: Combing visible on DNxHD output to SD DVD - where am I going wrong?

In PAL, is the field order different for HD than SD? If so, then perhaps the stock PAL DVD preset is using the wrong filed order for HD.

Just an idea.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Wed, Feb 2 2011 10:50 AM In reply to

In Pal land it upper field for both SD and HD, except DV25 which is lower field. I've checked the field order in Squeeze and I believe it is correct as upper field. I also don't see any excessive field order problems as you would normally notice when they are swopped around. Only the broad combing effect in rapid motion areas of the picture. I've noticed the same when trying to import DNxHD QT Ref in After Effects.

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 2 2011 10:57 AM In reply to

• Nick
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, May 3 2010
    • Scotland UK
    • Posts 213
    • Points 2,725

I have this problem to. I tend to mixdown to and SD format before exporting as qt ref to avid dvd.

HPZ800, X2 Intel Xeon X5650 Six Core, Nvidia Quadro FX4800, 48GB RAM, Nitris DX, MC 8.5.2 Windows 7 Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 2 2011 11:08 AM In reply to

Yes, it's my workaround too. Pity, would love to skip the SD step..

• Wed, Feb 2 2011 11:49 AM In reply to

CorneScheepers:

In Pal land it upper field for both SD and HD, except DV25 which is lower field. I've checked the field order in Squeeze and I believe it is correct as upper field. I also don't see any excessive field order problems as you would normally notice when they are swopped around. Only the broad combing effect in rapid motion areas of the picture. I've noticed the same when trying to import DNxHD QT Ref in After Effects.

Does this happen just w/ DNxHD HD 50i or does it happen with other types of HD 50i, as well?

(What I'm thinking is is it possible that the programs are somehow not realizing that the footage is HD and deinterlacing it as if it were SD?)

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Wed, Feb 2 2011 12:11 PM In reply to

So far I've only had to shoot 1080i/50 and 720p. It of course does not happen with 720p, so my experience with this is limited to 1080i/50. I've also found that deinterlacing in Squeeze sometimes eliminates the problem. Sometimes, I need to test some more. Are there any suggesttions as to what I can try to fix this?

• Wed, Feb 2 2011 12:16 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

There are a couple of long threads about this, seems to be an Avid Dvd bug, my own workflow is to use my Mac and Bitvice for dvd encodings, AME has also worked well for me in the past

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Feb 2 2011 12:25 PM In reply to

I'm using Adobe Encore for authoring. I also suspect that the problem occurs in Squeeze instead of Encore as the .m2v file that comes out of Squeeze already shows the combing. I've come to the conclusion that DNxHD and Squeeze does not play well together. I'll try with a few other formats out of Avid as soon as the system is free.

• Wed, Feb 2 2011 12:49 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

CorneScheepers:

I'm using Adobe Encore for authoring.

Ok, didn´t notice, sorry

CorneScheepers:

I also suspect that the problem occurs in Squeeze instead of Encore as the .m2v file that comes out of Squeeze already shows the combing.

Just let Encore do the encoding itself, please tell how it works, what version do you use btw, I am using the old CS3 myself

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Feb 2 2011 2:24 PM In reply to

CorneScheepers:

I'm using Adobe Encore for authoring. I also suspect that the problem occurs in Squeeze instead of Encore as the .m2v file that comes out of Squeeze already shows the combing. I've come to the conclusion that DNxHD and Squeeze does not play well together. I'll try with a few other formats out of Avid as soon as the system is free.

Are you creating an interlaced or progressive .m2v file in Squeeze? I'm asking this b/c if the answer is progressive, why not do the deinterlacing inside MC? If the answer is interlaced, then you will see combing if the media player you're using doesn't do deinterlacing properly (which is rather common). I believe VLC Player does a good job of deinterlacing.

I'm assuming your camera does not record DNxHD, so have you tried bringing some of the interlaced footage into a project that uses a non-DNxHD codec? I'm asking this b/c, while entirely possible, it sounds odd that this issue would be caused by DNxHD.

Good Luck.

• Wed, Feb 2 2011 4:31 PM In reply to

BobbyMurcerFan:
    Are you creating an interlaced or progressive .m2v file in Squeeze? I'm asking this b/c if the answer is progressive, why not do the deinterlacing inside MC? If the answer is interlaced, then you will see combing if the media player you're using doesn't do deinterlacing properly (which is rather common).

I'm trying to do interlaced disks to be viewed on interlaced monitors, although I have followed the route of taking interlaced footage out of Avid, and the trying to deinterlace in Squeeze. This is my normal workflow for web-based output.

I've never had much success deinterlacing from within MC, could you perhaps outline the steps for a 1080i project?

BobbyMurcerFan:
    I'm assuming your camera does not record DNxHD, so have you tried bringing some of the interlaced footage into a project that uses a non-DNxHD codec? I'm asking this b/c, while entirely possible, it sounds odd that this issue would be caused by DNxHD.

I shoot P2 and bring into MC via AMA, and transcode to send QT ref out to Squeeze. P2 I believe is DVCPRO100? I'll try to send this out to Squeeze and see what happens.

Thanks for all the replies by the way. What would I do without this forum!

• Thu, Feb 3 2011 7:22 AM In reply to

CorneScheepers:

I've never had much success deinterlacing from within MC, could you perhaps outline the steps for a 1080i project?

I'm infront of 3.1 right now. 5.0 is quite a bit different in this regard, so I'd suggest starting a new thread asking this ?. I just don't want to steer you the wrong way ;).

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller