Latest post Thu, Feb 10 2011 8:10 PM by Digital_Pete. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 2 2011 2:04 AM

• Mike Stewart
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 16 2009
    • Toronto
    • Posts 62
    • Points 1,000

Matrox MX02 MINI

I just bought one of these and it's fantastic.

Great picture, super easy to use and $450 new.

Pretty sweet, haven't found a downside yet.

Model Name: Mac Pro Model Identifier: MacPro3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core i7 GTX 680 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 2 2011 2:50 AM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,085

Re: Matrox MX02 MINI

Agreed. I've retired my Adrenaline box. And with the Max option, it even accelerates H.264 encoding. Nice piece of gear.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 2 2011 10:13 AM In reply to

I agree, the best money I spent last year. I'm on a laptop-based system and the portability is great. Plays with all my Adobe apps too. Smart move Avid. More please.

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 3 2011 7:13 PM In reply to

• ronn
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • San Diego
    • Posts 1,012
    • Points 12,640

24p would be nice.

Media Composer 2020.4 with Intensity Pro 4K, Dell i5680, Win-10 64. 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX1060, Sony FS7, FS5, EX1, A6300, Ninja Assassin, Harley Dyna LowRider... [view my complete system specs]

Ronn Kilby

San Diego

• Thu, Feb 3 2011 7:37 PM In reply to

"... I've retired my Adrenaline box ..."

Chris, how are you capturing or outputting baseband?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Feb 3 2011 7:46 PM In reply to

• Mike Stewart
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 16 2009
    • Toronto
    • Posts 62
    • Points 1,000

Randall L Rike:

"... I've retired my Adrenaline box ..."

Chris, how are you capturing or outputting baseband?

Do people still "capture"? Everything I'm doing lately comes in on cards/drives...

Model Name: Mac Pro Model Identifier: MacPro3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core i7 GTX 680 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 3 2011 7:56 PM In reply to

"Tapeless" is a myth.  There's still cameras that use tape.  Gosh, and you even have your archival copy at the same time.  But, yes, File-Based is rapidly increasing.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Thu, Feb 3 2011 8:42 PM In reply to

• stwb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 27 2010
    • USA
    • Posts 158
    • Points 2,030

conleec:
    And with the Max option, it even accelerates H.264 encoding

Are you actually getting accelerated H.264 encoding in MC with the MX02 Mini w/Max? According to the specs, it is HD monitoring only in MC and accelerated encoding in CS5.

-Steve

• Thu, Feb 3 2011 8:46 PM In reply to

Randall L Rike:
    File-Based is rapidly incraesing.
    As is the discontent with file based as a long term answer for any production that may ever be more than a one off.

Having first started to backup PT sessions and Avid projects to removeable harddrives in '94  most of them are now on drives that I have not been able to get compatible hardware for in the last 5 years. Anyone remember "clicked clack" Jazz drives with SCSI connectors? I have to keep a Pentium 1 running NT 3.5 to access those.

• Thu, Feb 3 2011 8:50 PM In reply to

Archival protocaol suggests that all backups be restored on a periodic basis to test & ensure they are still alive & kicking.  I would add, that is also a good time to relocate the backup to a newer medium, that will be current for a few years.  Of course, if the originals were tape .....

(wwld)

• Thu, Feb 3 2011 8:55 PM In reply to

• ronn
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • San Diego
    • Posts 1,012
    • Points 12,640

"Of course, if the originals were tape ...."

And the tape came in contact with a big old magnet...

Media Composer 2020.4 with Intensity Pro 4K, Dell i5680, Win-10 64. 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX1060, Sony FS7, FS5, EX1, A6300, Ninja Assassin, Harley Dyna LowRider... [view my complete system specs]

Ronn Kilby

San Diego

• Thu, Feb 3 2011 9:04 PM In reply to

Randall L Rike:
    Archival protocaol suggests that all backups be restored on a periodic basis to test & ensure they are still alive & kicking. 
    Sure! Yet another "TIME" cost rarely factored in by file based proponents Wink

I spent 5 days over the holiday season moving and checking 5TB's of old project media to new SATA drives. ALL of that was SD and I still have the tapes to go with it. Imagine 2 or 3 years woth of HD projects all with 2 (3 for safety) complete backups of HD projects with no tapes as a fall back position.

"And the tape came in contact with a big old magnet..." Your magnetic personality never did affect the tapes Ronn Big Smile

• Thu, Feb 3 2011 9:06 PM In reply to

"... As is the discontent with file based ..."

When onling a tape-based project, you only recapture the necessary frames plus handles.  When onlining a file-based project, the process of Batch Importing (reimporting) captures the "entire" original source clip in full rez, not just the frames needed.  This mostly benefits those who sell storage.  Luckily, between ISIS, Unity, and Isilon ... we have lots of storage.

(wwld)

• Wed, Feb 9 2011 6:03 PM In reply to

• videoguy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plainview, NY
    • Posts 481
    • Points 6,680

YES! You can utilize the MAX technology if you are on a Mac. Unfortunately for now Windows users will not get the big benefit of MAX. On the Mac side their is quite a windfall. From our Top 10 products of 2010 article:

* The Matrox Vetura Capture utility allows you to quickly and easily capture QuickTime files using popular CODECs installed on your editing system. If you use Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, you can capture to the Matrox MPEG2 I-frame full raster (1920 x 1080) HD CODEC or to other popular Adobe-supported CODECs. If you're editing with Apple Final Cut Pro, you can capture to ProRes and other popular Final Cut Pro CODECs. Finally, if you're using Avid Media Composer, you can capture directly to Avid DNxHD .mov files or other popular Avid-supported CODECs.

* The Matrox MXO2 Mini with Max delivers even more features! If you're editing on a Windows PC with Adobe CS5, the Matrox MAX technology will give you additional real-time playback performance with the Adobe Mercury Playback Engine. The Matrox MXO2 Mini with MAX will also give Avid editors using a Mac the ability to encode directly from the Media Composer timeline to H.264 for Blu-ray Disc or high-definition multimedia video.

Gary

BTW - MC5 was tied for the #1 spot on this years list (w/ CS5) and MXO2 Mini came in 3rd. So it's quite the "winning" combination!

Media Composer 3.5 ASUS P6X58D-E w/ Intel i7 980 Hex-core, 24GB RAM, PNY Quadro4000, Win7, SATA Boot drive, G-Speed eS for video [view my complete system specs]

Videoguys.com 800 323-2325 http://www.videoguys.com We are the Digital Video Editing & DVD Production Experts

• Wed, Feb 9 2011 6:43 PM In reply to

• stwb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 27 2010
    • USA
    • Posts 158
    • Points 2,030

Oh. ok sure, that makes sense - if it's used with a Mac. Just a little confusing since this thread is in the Avid Media Composer - PC forum.

-Steve

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller