Latest post Thu, Jan 27 2011 8:06 AM by Pat Horridge. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 26 2011 4:34 PM

XW8400 Symphony 5.0.3.7 Vista 64 or XP 32?

I'm doing a re-installation of our Symphony system onto an xw8400 crate.

I've been running on an xw9300 with Windows 7 64 and although it seems to work fine the instabilities are a problem.

So to step back onto the supported platform path we're moving to the xw8400 (the last CPU to support our classic nitris hardware)

So the question is XP 32 or Visat 64?

Windows 7 64 seems to bring nothing to Symphony at this stage so I can't see Vista 64 being any better and Vista was at best a fill-in OS.

So I'm leaning toward rock solid and reliable XP 32.

Thoughts?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Wed, Jan 26 2011 4:37 PM In reply to

Re: XW8400 Symphony 5.0.3.7 Vista 64 or XP 32?

Unless you have 8GB's RAM, Vista x64 doesn't add much, and might, in fact, be worse.  However, w/8GB's RAM (or more) & an x64 OS, Symphony will have 4GB's all to itself.  Everyone who has upgraded to 8GB's & x64 reported significant perfance gains.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Jan 26 2011 5:13 PM In reply to

Yeah, what Randall said.  We just upgraded our 8400 to Vista 64 and Symphony 5.0.3 because the shows we are making became too complex to attempt without the extra RAM.  There is a major performance bump with the x64 system and 12 gigs of RAM.

Work - MC v2018.4 on Win7 HP Z440 with TerraBlock and Avid Nexis storage Personal - MC/Symphony v2018.4 on Lenovo W530 Mobile Workstation Storage depends... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 27 2011 8:06 AM In reply to

That was partly why we tried the Win 7 64bit route first.

Unsupported but we know the software works under Win7 64 and allowed us to up the RAM.

So maybe I'll have to go Vista and live with 3 different PC Operating Systems in the facility :-(

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller