Latest post Tue, Jan 25 2011 3:39 PM by Zac Hogle. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 25 2011 6:21 AM

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 695
    • Points 10,330

Best format for CD business card distribution

Hello

A client would like to place a video I did for him on a mini CD business card.

My question is what is currently the best file format for this video?

Given that PC's like WMV, Macs like QT and then there is MP4 / H264 format.

Flash may be problematic as a standalone flash player is not universal.

Any suggestions as to what I should encode the file to for a run of 1000 CD business cards?

I am not sure how the file will autoexecute but I think that he is just going to autorun the movie file so that it plays in the default player of the machine.

Thanks

Neil

MC6 machine: Intel Core i7 Asus P8-H67 64 bit Motherboard 1*1Tb SATA drive - partitioned to C (OS and programs) and D (data) drive 1*1TB SATA drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 25 2011 3:39 PM In reply to

• Zac Hogle
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 30 2010
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 788
    • Points 9,745

Re: Best format for CD business card distribution

Hi Neil,

I think your client would be a better person to ask than the forums. It all depends on who he is handing these out to.

In my experience, clients who do work with industrial businesses like to have WMV files as most of the companies are purely PC and aren't allowed to install other players like Quicktime or VLC. However, if the clients are more entertainment or technologically based, then a Quicktime is usually my choice.

If all else fails I will normally go with an H.264 MP4 file, as it's fairly universal. I believe the latest WMP can actually handle these as well. It's a format that most smart phones can handle too, so I feel this covers my bases fairly well if all else fails.

But check with your client to see what the destination is for most of these, he/she will probably know the target market.

Z

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller