Latest post Mon, Apr 2 2012 8:27 PM by abramkat. 633 replies.
Page 26 of 43 (634 items) « First ... < Previous 24 25 26 27 28 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 5 2011 5:56 PM In reply to

Re: MC5 interface settings gone?

Hi Mark,

Mark Job:
    If you folks on the forum consider I have unfairly attacked an Avid employee, then I invite you to please go ahead and throw me off of this forum ! I really couldn't give a damn anymore ! I didn't even want to come back, but did so because I was invited to do so.

First of all, calm down and take a deep breath.

Secondly, I think this thread is proof enough that criticism of Avid is welcome on the forum.  All we ask is for the discussion to remain professional.  That means no personal attacks on anyone and no calling for people to be fired.

If you have any questions, feel free to email one of the moderators or Marianna Montague ([email protected]) or Todd Smelser ([email protected]).

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2024.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Feb 5 2011 6:08 PM In reply to

Mark Job:
    You Avid apologists will shoot down and shut down anyone who doesn't cheer lead the corporation.

To the contrary.  I've made my complaints known about the various "faults of Avid". 

Mark Job:
    I invite you to please go ahead and throw me off of this forum ! I really couldn't give a damn anymore !

Why does it have to be an all or nothing situation?  No one is saying you should be kicked off, it was just mentioned that the tone of these Forums is preferred to remain professional.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sat, Feb 5 2011 6:15 PM In reply to

/\ /\

What he said.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sat, Feb 5 2011 6:22 PM In reply to

Mark Job:
    I'm not attacking anyone.

Mark Job:
    You Avid apologists

Not sure who you are referring to here. And who exactly is trying to shut you up here?

I am reacting to a post made from an Avid Employee

We're sort of in the wrong thread then, as that posting is not from this thread.

which I found horribly arrogant

And I begged to differ. No problem, we just have different interpretations of that posting.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 5 2011 6:43 PM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 23 2011
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 124
    • Points 1,495

camoscato:
    All we ask is for the discussion to remain professional.  That means no personal attacks on anyone and no calling for people to be fired.
    ..Look Carl: You're making a false accusation against me, buddy ! I have Not personally attacked anyone here, nor have I called for anyone to be fired ! Show me where I have written such !

M. Job

HP nw 9440 ISV Certified Workstation with nVidia Quaddro FX 1500 M w/512 MB of on board GDDR 3 RAM GPU, 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD, 4... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 5 2011 9:01 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,954
    • Points 70,425

camoscato:
    ...no calling for people to be fired...
    Well, as a matter of fact saying that many of the changes in MC 5 made the software worst than the previous release implies calling for the people behind those changes to be fired: if my customer is not satisfied with my performance I get fired, right or wrong this is how things work, and this is a fact. It's tough and sad, but from the very beginning of this discussion it is clear that jobs are at stake: the jobs of whoever decided to invest in developing unasked for changes, while neglecting many long waited for features, and Mr Frank Capria's job, the man who mistaken "new features at any cost" with "better software"; both the management and Capria's acts are aimed to justify the unjustifiable, like Larry said a few pages earlier, or to save their backs, like I say; so splitting MC 5 criticism from people who should get the sack is quite difficult. It is almost nine months now since the introduction of MC 5, a simple switch to toggle ST off, the most complained about new feature, would have kept the users happy, and we wouldn't be here discussing, while ignoring all of the customers requests for such a long time has irritated many users, isn't it just another communication/relationship deficiency like in the good old pre-new-thinking days? Mistakes happen, but not learning from past mistakes is silly at best. 

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Feb 5 2011 9:07 PM In reply to

luca.mg:
    ...It is almost nine months now since the introduction of MC 5, a simple switch to toggle ST off, the most complained about new feature, would have kept the users happy, and we wouldn't be here discussing, while ignoring all of the customers requests for such a long time has irritated many users, isn't it just another communication/relationship deficiency like in the good old pre-new-thinking days? Mistakes happen, but not learning from past mistakes is silly at best. 

I completely agree with this assessment. Luca is spot on target.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Feb 5 2011 9:45 PM In reply to

Mark Job:
    What is the Pentagon's investment to date in Avid products ? 1.5 Million $ US ?

While I am not at liberty to quote actual figures, I can tell you that the entire Department of Defense has made a very sizable investment in Avid products over the past 15 years, both here in Washington and worldwide in other DoD military facilities, including Iraq and Afghanistan FOBs (Forward Operating Bases). Add to that money already spent, a new and VERY LARGE additional investment to bring our new master DMA (Defense Media Activities) facility online this July (including 31 Nitris DX edit suites) at Ft. Meade Army Base, MD, which will consolidate many currently separate operations under one roof, and you're talking big, big bucks.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Feb 5 2011 10:50 PM In reply to

Wauw... 26 pages...

I've been absent for the past 3 weeks due to a very sad event in my private family life. During my absence it seems I've missed out on an interesting discussion on a subject that I have expressed my opinion on several times before.

First of all I completely agree with Larry's points of view, his intentions with this thread and would like to add my name to the list of those unhappy with the current MC 5 UI. I also share some of Luca's problems with the posts of Frank Capria, who I generally respect as he has been part of MC's development for almost 2 decades. The posts of Todd (BLKDOG) in this thread have AGAIN been as clear as it gets with respect to the questions on how MC will be developed and how our feedback will be implemented. Again Todd thank you for those posts.

But now that I mentioned you Todd, I would like to address this to you. IMHO it is not just about the features in MC5 but also how they are communicated/presented to the (long time) user. While MC5 and the latest MC 5.0.3.7R patch might be proof that "Avid is listening" I think it is also fair to say it is proof that Avid is not listening to those that request an option to completely switch off the smart tool. And here lies a problem.

If I ask somebody something and this person tells me he or she is listening to me, but because of the Sarbanes/Oxley rules can't really answer the question and the reality of things show me that the underlying problem that created my question is only being partially addressed, also after 6 months, then it can become kind of hard to keep full trust in that person as he might be ignoring the problem.  And it has been said before, it is this trust that is on the line with MC5. Both in the daily operation, "is my smart tool still off???", and in where this development path of MC is going, "will there ever be a 99,99% bug-free fully functional version of MC5 before MC 5.5 is released???".

From your response I conclude we are again asked to trust Avid's " bigger picture" on MC. Well I'm sorry... but IMHO that's not good enough if you want to sell a professional NLE to a professional broadcast customer in the current market. 

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sat, Feb 5 2011 10:52 PM In reply to

camoscato:
    no calling for people to be fired.
    History is good at distorting the facts. As the author of the original "calling for people to be fired." I would like to point out it had little or nothing to do with MC5 and everything to do with a condecending attitude from a designer to disgruntled users/owners. I deliberately put the quote I was refering to in the original post.

" marcinelli:

Hope this helps to explain why we're making some of these changes. Thanks for coming along with us as we make the product easier to use for all of our users.

AndrewAction:

If I were head of the New Thinking at Avid and had any team member ignore all the points made in this thread and arrogantly write the above quote then that team member would receive a politely worded (well maybe not polite as it is me) DCM."

My English may not be the best but I still understand my quote above to read ... IF I had been in a position to do so  in the quoted cicumstances "I" would have issued a DCM to the offending team member for his remarks.

Strangley I do not interprate it as calling for someone to be sacked. If some others are provoked into thinking that .....well our whole craft is about being provocative and suggestive so our audience take what THEY want out of what we deliver.

FWIW in hindsight that public statement by the design team member was hardly needed as Avid's first of a series of patch addressing some of the issues was already well underway, IMO showing that they had at least privately been listening.

• Sat, Feb 5 2011 10:58 PM In reply to

Larry Rubin:
    you're talking big, big bucks.
    not to forget the vast time and huge intellectual investments made to keep production staff current with Avid's various UI's.

• Sat, Feb 5 2011 11:08 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:

Larry Rubin:
    you're talking big, big bucks.
    not to forget the vast time and huge intellectual investments made to keep production staff current with Avid's various UI's.

Yes, and the prospect of 25 additional editors potentially getting in my face with their frustrations about the new interface changes, instead of just 6 does not make me look forward to that experience. I'm hedging my bets that Avid will "see the light" and make the appropriate fixes before that plays out. Well, only time will tell. And that time grows short.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Feb 6 2011 1:10 AM In reply to

• Saylur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Laguna Woods CA
    • Posts 485
    • Points 6,120

a while back I had PM'd Larry Rubin & asked him if he was on the MC 5 beta testing team . His answer was NO!!!!!! now you tell me what the hell is avid thinking when a person of his knowledge & background is shunned?  I wonder if Mr Capria had anything to do with this decision? There is a feature article in this months DV magazine called Next-Gen Newsgathering that states "new technology empowers Hearst's field reporters". "Standardizing the newsgathering system allows the stations to share best practices, which is how Adobe CS5 became a Hearst staple..........graphics editors began  using Premiere instead of outputting a sequence & running it down the hall to the AVID SUITE . Seven Hearst stations now use Premiere Pro to edit daily news content".  Read it & weep.  They wont be back. Hey Larry maybe you should take a look? When a supplier takes you for granted, the thought of losing that account may throw the fear of god into them! The competition is chipping away at The Avid. All a person has to do is look at the financial numbers to see the hand writing on the wall.

MC-6.0.5,MB Asus Z87 Expert 1150 ATX,Intel Core i7 4770 3.4 Ghz CPU,32GB Kingston DDR3 Mem.,Samsung 840 250GB SSD,Win 7 Pro SP 1, QT 7.7.3,PNY Quadro K2000... [view my complete system specs]

Regards

Mike

• Sun, Feb 6 2011 1:15 AM In reply to

"... the thought of losing that account may throw the fear of god into them! ..."

You'd be surprised.  For many of us in broadcast, we use not only the Avid editing products, but also their storage, and maybe more importantly, Interplay products, e.g.,  Interplay Indexer, Interplay Transfer, and also broacast specific products, e.g., AirSpeed, and other direct-to-air systems.  The Avid editing apps feed directly into these.  "Dumping" Avid isn't as easy as you'd think.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sun, Feb 6 2011 1:27 AM In reply to

Saylur:
    a while back I had PM'd Larry Rubin & asked him if he was on the MC 5 beta testing team . His answer was NO!!!!!! now you tell me what the hell is avid thinking when a person of his knowledge & background is shunned? 

Mike:

Allow me to clear the air on this. I may not have been asked to participate in the Beta testing of MC 5, but rest assured I was NOT shunned. To be honest, my schedule both at work and in my own hours is such that I would not be able to make the time commitments necessary to do Beta testing correctly. And that would not be at all fair to Avid and to you as well. In that sense, I hold myself to a higher standard. But I would be more than happy to take a release for a test drive after it goes through beta and before it goes to market. That is, as long as I don't have to shell out big bucks to change hardware to do it.

And I will indeed have a look at the Adobe CS5/Hearst story. I would be particularly interested to see how they're moving product around in file based exchange to go live to air with, and what type of apps and database the newsroom writers are using to write and communicate with editors, and what type of shared server/storage networked environment they're working in. If you have any specific links you recommend, please post them.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 26 of 43 (634 items) « First ... < Previous 24 25 26 27 28 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller