Latest post Mon, Apr 2 2012 8:27 PM by abramkat. 633 replies.
Page 13 of 43 (634 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 24 2011 1:42 PM In reply to

• evansmalley
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Kansas City, MO (USA)
    • Posts 500
    • Points 6,400

Re: MC5 Interface Settings Referendum - PLEASE PARTICIPATE!

THANKS DOUGLAS!

THAT was priceless! Worth the agony of the entire thread!

Viva Pentioners!

Avid Media Composer 5.0.4, Windows7 Pro 64 bit sp1, i7-960 Intel processor, 8 gig DDR3 RAM, SSD 64gig boot drive, Samsung F3 1TB D drive, nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 24 2011 1:48 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,896
    • Points 259,770
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

evansmalley:
    THAT was priceless! Worth the agony of the entire thread!

Thank you Evan.

Sometimes you need to take a break from reality, before returning to the fray!

Regards,
    Douglas

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 24 2011 1:56 PM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 23 2011
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 124
    • Points 1,495

drbgaijin:
    Sometimes you need to take a break from reality, before returning to the fray!

….I almost expect Rod Serling to suddenly appear from within the MC application and begin introducing the Smart Tool...

HP nw 9440 ISV Certified Workstation with nVidia Quaddro FX 1500 M w/512 MB of on board GDDR 3 RAM GPU, 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD, 4... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 24 2011 3:58 PM In reply to

• Joe M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 9 2006
    • Southwestern part of US
    • Posts 952
    • Points 12,785

Job ter Burg:

Joe M:
    perhaps, I am missing something - here... or is the "turn off ST" complaint becoming just whining at this point
    First of all, from time to time, ST will toggle itself back on. Second, it takes up real estate on my screen. One of the great things about MC is that its interface is customizable, and you can choose which buttons and functions live where. But the ST was implemented as a non-removable, ever-floating tool. I need those inches for my timeline.

With 5.0.3 my ST doesn't turn or off at will like it use to... 

As for ST taking up monitor real estate... that is true.  ST should be a window.... HOWEVER, MC's idea of a window is not very flexible.... and making ST a seperate window might actually cause more problems than it solves.

Creating a UI like Adobe (or FCP) would be a BIG step toward making MC5 a better and more friendly UI.  In general, Avid needs to do a lot of work with the basic mobility and flexibililty of it's windows, tabs and buttons.  And, if my memory is correct... I believe that is their intent.  Until then, we have what we have... a work in progress called MC5. 

WinXP,ASUS W6T6 WS Rev.,Intel i7 3.2Ghz8X32,6G Corsair DDR3(low lat.),Quatro FX 3800(190.38),Adaptec 5405 RAID 0 SAS-2 Stripes 2x15K RPM Fujitsu 300G ea... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Jan 24 2011 4:58 PM In reply to

• DMV guy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 7 2005
    • Sacramento, CA
    • Posts 26
    • Points 385

Re: MC5 interface settings gone?

I may be a little late to the game, but I'd like to chime in here as well. We've been working on Avid since 1998 back in the ABVB days. We currently have 1 PC based & 3 Mac based Avids running ver. 4.0.2. We're having no problems with this version to speak of.

As the person in my group who hangs out here the most, based on my interpretation of the distress that I've seen, my advice to my group has been to NOT "upgrade" to any flavor of V5 at all. At least not until Avid fixes this mess.  

And believe me, our management knows about FCP. Periodically, we're asked about switching over. Thus far, I / we have been able to fight this off & maintain the status quo with our Avids. But the V5 debacle isn't making this any easier!

Rick

(3) Mac Pro Dual Quad Core with 8 gb memory. MC ver. 4.0.5 (3) Avid VideoRaid ST with 1 tb storage Also linked via Unity Media Network ver. 5.1.3 (16... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 24 2011 5:06 PM In reply to

DMV guy:
    ...my advice to my group has been to NOT "upgrade" to any flavor of V5 at all. At least not until Avid fixes this mess.  

That's exactly the same advice I've given our General Manager here at TPC regarding Newscutter 8.0.2 which is identical to MC 4.0.2. We simply cannot afford to have our workflow affected by freezes and crashes and still make slots for on air live newscasts. What we currently have flows along smooth as silk and I don't want to risk losing that solely for the purpose of "upgrading". And our GM agrees with me.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jan 24 2011 5:29 PM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 23 2011
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 124
    • Points 1,495

DMV guy:
    4.0.2. We're having no problems with this version to speak of.

Hi Rick:

Yup. Version 4.x is quite solid. We are also having no stability or functionality problems with MC at this level. We are having a buggy time with Avid DVD 6.1.1 with Blu-ray Volume Creation for QA purposes, but MC runs smoothly without issue. I'm standing back to see if Avid will fix its mess, but I'm also starting to look over at FCP 7.x more and more. We are running both applications in house. If Apple produces a significantly upgraded version of FCP, then I think many MC users may well abandon it in favour of FCP. I have also been looking at an older (circa 2005) technology from the *B* list line of editors called Velocity with the hardware accelerated Altitude HD PCI - X board. Velocity offers dual stream, real time uncompressed 8 or 10 bit HD editing with up to 7 layers of DVE all in realtime without the need to render. If you do need to render, then it's a hardware render and it's 5 X times realtime speed. It offers capture across a standard Windows Network protocol, and runs on Win XP Pro. Velocity also offers network rendering, which can be very useful. It has its own U320 SCSI Dual Channel on board direct video write to striped arrays of Cheetah 10K or 15K RPM drives, or capture across the standard data bus to other networked PC's HDD's. Version 9.x and 10.x work with Avid MC projects and time lines. Unfortunately, Harris EOL's the product in Dec. 2009. Velocity offers D & D or MC editing paradigms. It's shockingly good, and can be picked up used for a tiny fraction of what a decked out MC system goes for.

HP nw 9440 ISV Certified Workstation with nVidia Quaddro FX 1500 M w/512 MB of on board GDDR 3 RAM GPU, 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD, 4... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 24 2011 6:24 PM In reply to

HamNCheese:
    Users made their claims to the flakiest, most lacking, or hardest to use features of MC, with many chiming in with common complaints (I recall being able to change volume globally for a whole bin of clips was a biggie).  The moderator promised us that yes, this thread was being read by those up above.  To date, I don't believe one of these software issues has been addressed.

Select a bunch of clips in a Bin, right-click and choose Apply Gain.  That's been there since v4 IIRC.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Jan 24 2011 6:53 PM In reply to

• HamNCheese
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 389
    • Points 5,695

Kenton.VanNatten:

Select a bunch of clips in a Bin, right-click and choose Apply Gain.  That's been there since v4 IIRC.

Well I'll be!  I stand corrected.

freelance, I work on a lot of systems [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 24 2011 7:02 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,821
    • Points 63,225

HamNCheese:

Kenton.VanNatten:

Well I'll be!  I stand corrected.

Actually, Avid doesn't do a very good job of advertising the features they've added based on customer requests. Been using MC since 3.0 (a Liquid Migrant, as Douglas calls us) and there have been many new features added with each release - I just can't keep up with them Stick out tongue

MC 2021.6 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2021 | Sapphire 2021 | Mocha Pro 2021 | Titler Pro 7.7 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (21H1) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X (4.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Mon, Jan 24 2011 7:29 PM In reply to

• Saylur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Laguna Woods CA
    • Posts 485
    • Points 6,120

Douglas

What a great use of your volcano tutorial!!!! Big Smile

MC-6.0.5,MB Asus Z87 Expert 1150 ATX,Intel Core i7 4770 3.4 Ghz CPU,32GB Kingston DDR3 Mem.,Samsung 840 250GB SSD,Win 7 Pro SP 1, QT 7.7.3,PNY Quadro K2000... [view my complete system specs]

Regards

Mike

• Mon, Jan 24 2011 11:28 PM In reply to

• Joe M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 9 2006
    • Southwestern part of US
    • Posts 952
    • Points 12,785

Larry Rubin:

Joe:

{Snip}

Joe M:
    And fails to do something as simple as indicate which clips are used in the bin within the sequence without going through a complicated process that makes it useless

Highlight the sequence and choose "select media relatives" from the bin menu. All clips in all bins that are used in that sequence will be highlighted.

Joe M:
    Drag and drop an effect into any clip on a timeline... without any other keystroke needed.

This most certainly is already available, except when combining "nesting" effects onto one clip where an ALT drag is needed.

{snip}

So, there you go. My 10 cents (adjusted for inflation). 

AVID should be able to automatically keep track of what clips are being used in the sequence you are working in.   To find the clips used in a sequence should be as simple as a column in the bin that showed that it was being used... such as an "x" in the column indicating clip useage OR a highlighted in a fashion that doesn't interfere with color coding.  There should not be any clicking of the sequence to reflect the files being used by that sequence in the bin... MC should automatically keep track of what clips are being used in that sequence.

Drag and drop of effects into a clip should be just that (nested or not)... no need for "alt" to drag and drop an effect into a sequence.  Another example of why some say AVID takes 2 keystrokes to achieve what other NLE's do with a single drag and drop.

WinXP,ASUS W6T6 WS Rev.,Intel i7 3.2Ghz8X32,6G Corsair DDR3(low lat.),Quatro FX 3800(190.38),Adaptec 5405 RAID 0 SAS-2 Stripes 2x15K RPM Fujitsu 300G ea... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Jan 24 2011 11:38 PM In reply to

Joe M:

Drag and drop of effects into a clip should be just that (nested or not)... no need for "alt" to drag and drop an effect into a sequence.  Another example of why some say AVID takes 2 keystrokes to achieve what other NLE's do with a single drag and drop.

drbgaijin:

And if it takes 5 keystrokes to do in MC what could be done by 2 keystokes in Liquid......... life may be short,... but a few miliseconds here or there are not very much really...Please don't try to blame MC for the problems you seem to be having adjusting.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jan 25 2011 3:41 AM In reply to

• Fazz Powell
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 3 2006
    • Naples, FL
    • Posts 476
    • Points 6,550

HamNCheese:

Why can't I set the audio globally for a bunch of selected clips?

Select your clips and in the audio mixer go to the hamburger menu and you can adjust/pan everything you've selected.

MC 2020.06 w/Symphony option. BlackMagic DeckLink 12G, HP Z840 Dual 3.2Ghz/8 Core, 1TB SSD, 1TB Cache drive, 128GB Ram, Nvidia RTX2060 Super, BCC2020,... [view my complete system specs]

Dan Powell - Take One Digital Media

• Tue, Jan 25 2011 5:41 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,954
    • Points 70,425

Joe M:
    AVID should be able to automatically keep track of what clips are being used in the sequence you are working in.
    Other than the "Select media relatives" command, You can also put a sequence in its own bin and select "Set bin display" from the bin's hamburger menu, check "Show reference clips", all of the clips used in the sequence will populate the bin, You can display effects/precomputes too.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 13 of 43 (634 items) « First ... < Previous 11 12 13 14 15 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller