Latest post Mon, Apr 2 2012 8:27 PM by abramkat. 633 replies.
Page 10 of 43 (634 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 22 2011 1:24 PM In reply to

• evansmalley
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Kansas City, MO (USA)
    • Posts 500
    • Points 6,400

Re: MC5 Interface Settings Referendum - PLEASE PARTICIPATE!

You bet, Larry! Just wanted to point it out... I think we've heard about all we're going to from Avid about this- (took a while... oy!) But for me, this thread's about baked enough!

I just want to be communicated with by my company with transparency, and without allowing it to put us users in the dark on an odd pretense. I'm too old to be polite!- or gullable. Avid used to have a bad rep for bad responsiveness- and that relates directly to hearing editors' specific needs for fixing the UI.

OK- I'm done. Thanks Larry, Douglas, Kenton and all you other excellent constructive pros who have helped lend weight to everyone's frustrations with MC5! You are well-known for positivity and constructiveness- and so when YOU complain, someone HAS to listen!

I think we've probably heard all the response we will. Now I'm just hoping Avid will get to the fixes...

Avid Media Composer 5.0.4, Windows7 Pro 64 bit sp1, i7-960 Intel processor, 8 gig DDR3 RAM, SSD 64gig boot drive, Samsung F3 1TB D drive, nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 22 2011 1:29 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:

sverkalo:
    Not a crash. And I have many times After FX opened at the same time.
    In a HD project tried dropping a BCC 3D (Or Avid FX) effect on top of a Timewarp whilst foolishly having the timeline display in full green George? 

I can guarantee to get errors often leading to needing a Program restart like that. (8GB's RAM in an 8600 running W7 64 and MC5 .0.3.7R)

Didn't tried this one Andrew.

If this is a 8600GS card, it could be the problem though.

Desktop

Asus Ζ690 TUF Gaming WiFi D4|i5 12600K|Corsair 128G DDR4|Asus 3060 12GB|Samsung 980 500GB(OS)|2X1TB Samsung 980 RAID 0|W11 Pro

Laptop 

MSI Katana GF76 11UE (i7 11800H|Nvidia 3060|Crucial 64G DDR4)|W11 Pro

NLE

DR Studio 19|MC 2024.2

VDIM

• Sat, Jan 22 2011 1:59 PM In reply to

Larry,

I really appreciate your advice. And not just from this post. You give a LOT of excellent advice on the forums. I have not given up on Media Composer. I'm taking my bearings. Media Composer would not be the industry leader if it wasn't any good. Howvever, MC5 isn't for me, at least the way it is now. My next step will be to try MC4.

Thanks again,

Roger

Larry Rubin:

Roger,

Speaking as one who is using the Newscutter equivalent of MC 4, I say go right ahead and install MC 4 and test it out. It is more stable, reliable and the GUI is more flexible and customizable. And you can indeed establish and maintain the momentum I spoke of earlier in this thread. Hopefully, it will change your overall opinion about Media Composer as a whole. And then, when the dust settles and the storm over MC 5 dissipates, an upgrade may be in order, if you believe the new features are a necessary enhancement to your particular workflow. Don't give up.

MC 6.0.4,Gateway FX6800, i7 920 Processor, Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Win 7 Pro 64 SP1), 6gb Ram, GeForce GT 710 (2gb), 2 JVC HM170U Camcorders, 1 Canon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 22 2011 2:16 PM In reply to

• Haze
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 764
    • Points 10,245

I agree that the big problems with MC 5 need to be addressed soon.  That said, there a some improvements that I appreciate.  Every version prior to MC 5 had a delay when launching the audio mixer tool.  Now the mix tool comes up immediately, no delay whatsoever.  I'm not sure what they did to tweak the code to make it faster, but it's fast and I appreciate the change.  Every editor wants a responsive NLE - a tool that reacts as fast as they do.  This small change to the mixer made MC more responsive.  Unfortunately, changes to the effect editor (advanced keyframes only) and the addition of the smart tool have made the process of editing slower.  

Avid DS 11 | Z800, Symphony 6.5 | HP xw 8600, MC 6.5 | HP Z400, Unity Storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 22 2011 7:16 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,821
    • Points 63,225

sverkalo:

AndrewAction:

sverkalo:
    In a HD project tried dropping a BCC 3D (Or Avid FX) effect on top of a Timewarp whilst foolishly having the timeline display in full green George? 

I can guarantee to get errors often leading to needing a Program restart like that. (8GB's RAM in an 8600 running W7 64 and MC5 .0.3.7R)

Hi guys - I can reproduce this - maybe we should move this to its own thread?

MC 2021.6 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2021 | Sapphire 2021 | Mocha Pro 2021 | Titler Pro 7.7 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (21H1) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X (4.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sat, Jan 22 2011 7:33 PM In reply to

BarkinMadd:

sverkalo:

AndrewAction:

sverkalo:

Hi guys - I can reproduce this - maybe we should move this to its own thread?

Yes, please do. Thanks, Steve.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jan 22 2011 7:52 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Dallas TX
    • Posts 2,216
    • Points 23,845

all these problems seem to have escalated since the new thinking came on board . if they spent half of much time talking to there users as they spend making up all this crap about not being able to say anything the sales staff sure say alot about there features (of course they dont say they work ) this line of we cant talk about any future specs. is pure bs and they know it !!!  if a new chevy's engine froze up when you made a left turn  it would be recalled and fixed... and  they dont tell a bunch of chevy users to tell everybody it will be fixed sometime

and then charge for a new car when they fix it and call it an upgrade  camaro 2.3.0.4.0.3r

all this talk about mc 6 being the fix all dont buy it.. they should not even speak about mc 6 untill mc 5 works as of now  avid has got the last dime out of my company it is going to get  I have many choices and I am going to look at them  and not to mention all this we had a great namm I was at namm for 4 days  and there booth was an protools booth marked avid  and was not very busy at all there was more buzz around the snack bars new burrito.. i went up to the avid shirted person at the booth and ask some questions about mc 5 and the issues related to it and they knew nothing about it at all and seemed to be shocked that anybody is having problems  but they were sure quick to tell me how great there other products were but could not answer any questions at all about there  name sake editing platform ...

if they ignore us we will go away be assured of that

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Sat, Jan 22 2011 8:02 PM In reply to

Tom Pearson:
    I was at namm for 4 days  and there booth was an protools booth marked avid  and was not very busy at all there was more buzz around the snack bars new burrito.. i went up to the avid shirted person at the booth and ask some questions about mc 5 and the issues related to it and they knew nothing about it

The Protools person at the musicians' conference didn't know anything about Media Composer.  Why does that surprise you?  Would you go to NAB and ask the guy at the Adobe Premeire booth about Photoshop?

Media Composer 2024.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Jan 22 2011 8:06 PM In reply to

Tom Pearson:
    this line of we cant talk about any future specs. is pure bs and they know it !!!

While I personally would also like to see more openness from Avid about their product development as would many other users, we must keep in mind that Avid is not privately owned. It is a publicly traded company, and as such has a board of directors who represent the stockholders. Avid must answer to that board, and are bound by it regarding what they can and cannot say in public venues. Now, if there is someone out there who shares our passion about what developments and changes we desire and has pockets deep enough to become the sole majority stockholder, maybe we would see a change in dialog. Any takers on that to become Mr. (or Ms.) 51%? I doubt it.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jan 22 2011 8:50 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,954
    • Points 70,425

Tom Pearson:
    all this talk about mc 6 being the fix all dont buy it.. they should not even speak about mc 6 untill mc 5 works
    This is my point too, I'm glad to know that that Avid is listening and it's working for us, but I don't want to pay for an upgrade to have the fixes to the current version.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Jan 22 2011 9:49 PM In reply to

• evansmalley
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Kansas City, MO (USA)
    • Posts 500
    • Points 6,400

Dang it! I wanted to be done with this thread. But that just won't move Avid forward... Larry- I think the world of you- but must disagree about that whole premise, (of not being ABLE to be responsive to customers) and say so. If I was so willing to accept such corporate BS, I just couldn't feel right- I still have to be responsible to my wife that I spent $500 on a product that is unuseable from a company that isn't CLEARLY, LOUDLY promising to MAKE it work. Sorry!

Tom's right about this one, I think. 

And here's a little allegory to- damn!- extend this thread! damn! And hopefully show something about cooperation with a company that I NEED to succeed... hope you's all get a kick out of it!  (Just trying to have some fun... I'm really tired of all this!!!) But still can't use MC5!

OK... Once upon a Time... the Emperor was wearing a Speedo in the boardroom... oh, it was a fine, highly-touted Speedo, to be sure. EVERYONE tried to be mum about their weirded-out-ness with it. Just then, two Priests and a Rabbit walk into the joint. Well, the Rabbit turns to the first Priest and says, "What the heck? That Emperor is hiding his assets behind a very thin veil!" Well, everyone KNOWS that Rabbits are vastly inferior to Priests when it comes to "behind the Veil" stuff... So that goes nowhere, of course. The End.

Ok, done!

Avid Media Composer 5.0.4, Windows7 Pro 64 bit sp1, i7-960 Intel processor, 8 gig DDR3 RAM, SSD 64gig boot drive, Samsung F3 1TB D drive, nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 23 2011 12:40 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,460
    • Points 98,575

evansmalley:
    Larry- I think the world of you- but must disagree about that whole premise, (of not being ABLE to be responsive to customers) and say so. If I was so willing to accept such corporate BS, I just couldn't feel right
    Unfortunately it isn't BS, Evan.

In the '80s there were a series of product announcements made by major companies intended as "spoilers" for opposition products.  They even had their own category name - "phantomware".  This described a product that existed only in concept form and may or may not ever be developed.  Most weren't.

This practice has been largely stopped by forbidding announcements of product prior to that product being in late development.

Further, if a listed company announces the features of a product in development prematurely they are not acting in the interests of their shareholders.  Doing so tends to drive sales down, since a good percentage of the intended market will defer purchase decisions.  This affects the company's bottom line and directly hurts their shareholders.

Companies can get round this to a degree by announcing that a new product is in development, but refraining from identifying its features in any detail.  This still has the ability to impact sales, but tends not to the same degree.  If your turnover is still sufficient for you to stay afloat this can ultimately even have a net positive effect.  You are seen to be cutting edge.

While such a path may work for major software companies, for a niche company like Avid it's unlikely to be effective.

So the (non-fiscal) bottom line is, this constraint is genuine and isn't just BS.  The best that a company like Avid can do is to say that they are working on a fix and are being responsive to their customers.  Both of these things Avid has done.

My point is that this thread is more useful if it identifies workflow problems with MC5 rather than attacks corporate issues that Avid really can't change.

So.  I don't like Smart Tools at all, I think that the stereo audio implementation while necessary is half thought out at best, and AMA's handling of large projects is poor and sluggish.  AMA also appears somewhat buggy - for example witness its ability to randomly "forget" that media is on-line from session to session.  Whether that is an Avid issue or a third-party developer problem I don't know.

The other software issues that have been raised in this thread don't impact on my workflow, so it would be pointless of me to comment on them.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 23 2011 2:33 AM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 23 2011
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 124
    • Points 1,495

Dear Friends:

I left this forum last year primarily for the reason that I didn't believe Avid was really listening anymore to the suggestions and common pleas for changes in the way they did business with us the customers. In particular - me ! I have stopped dead in my tracks at MC version 4.0.5.13 and will go no further. The so called "enhancements made to the MC interface in version 5.x have scared me away from upgrading at this point. I will now wait and see what happens with version 6.x before making a final decision as to wether or not I will walk away forever. To be frank, it's not looking good to me.

I very much liked MC as it was, and as I slowly grew to learn it's editing paradigm, I realized it was a superior cutting tool. However, I ask you to bear with me as I unburden my soul regarding some of the very troubling aspects of trying to communicate with the company and a rather powerful and overwhelming attitude I get from contacts with Avid.

1. The overwhelming and nauseatingly arrogant attitude of the Avid company as expressed by its personnel i have come in contact with both personally and with the posts made on this forum. If you can only gleam on thing from my post, then I hope it is this one point - *I strongly consider the company's premise is actually running 180 degrees in the wrong direction in how it responds to the needs of its clients. Specifically, it is not for Avid to dictate to its customers the direction it will go and for us to just, "hang on and enjoy the ride !" Rather, it is for Avid to *listen* to what the end user who purchases the product wants and needs, or else the customer will walk away.

2. Avid communicates with a palpable attitude as if it is their own product, and not ours, therefore we come second. Avid Media Composer is *my* NLE, because I paid for it ! Media Composer is the tool I use to make my living ! When I ask for a fix to a functionality year after year, and I am blown off and made to feel like I'm wearing overalls and I'm 3 feet tall, then this corporate attitude really speaks loudly to me ! I am not interested in sitting back and enjoying the ride ! I am sickened by the continued attitude of Avid knows best. 

3. It is too darn hard to get stuff in and out of MC ! I run a small boutique production & post house in Montreal since June of 1998 A.D. and what Avid has done to my business because of the HDV travesty has caused me to pay out over $15,000.00 extra in equipment simply because Avid refuses to turn on the TC switch during HDV capture over FireWire for Canon 24F material ! Did you folks know the only way you can capture Canon 24F HDV is by crash recording ? What this means to our little organization is we cannot get the HDV cassette source timecode into MC !

* Our work around is a $6000.00 Solid State Digital Recorder which captures in camera HDV VTR playback output via the camera's HD-SDI socket into a Flash XDR CF card recorder. The CF Card Recorder records in Sony's XDCAM HD 4:2:2 codec, then we take the CF cards and import those into MC and in this way we can insure the client's source TC gets into MC along with the audio and video. BTW, AMA for Sony XDCAM HD 4:2:2 simply does not work if your clips are on CF cards ! It does work if your clips are on the Sony camera discs ! Why the heck is that ?!

4. Avid DVD by Sonic 6.1.1 is an abortion ! It is so intermittently buggy that I have to open and close the program several times in order to stop it from re-encoding my Sorensen Squeezed *Elementary Blu-ray VC-1 and AC3 audio files* once I bring them into the application for standard authoring procedure. Can we fix that please ? This messes up my workflow horribly !

** Something which should never have happened: About two months back Avid held a symposium here in Montreal @ C.E.V., which is the official reseller for Avid in our city. The crowd was made up mostly of small post houses and boutique production companies like ours which typically employ 1 to 3 employees max ! These small companies are sub-contracted out to the local TV networks. There were about 75 Avid users in the room I counted specifically. The Avid rep addressed us as a whole along with a technician from Avid US who was demonstrating Media Composer 5.x and the ISIS 5000 system. About ten minutes into the presentation walked a well known editor (Who lurks on this forum) who is the *star* editor for the largest commercial national television network in Canada. This editor, who I know quite well, came in and sat down with his producer, and from this point onward and including after the end of the presentation and meeting, the Avid personnel who were conducting the symposium only looked at and addressed them as if they were the only people in the room !

Let me tell you good folks on this forum and the possible Avid folks who may be reading this thread, I talked to allot of my fellow editors at that Avid symposium, and many folks felt totally alienated, personally insulted, and were barely able to contain their personal disgust. I made a point of waiting, and waiting, and waiting to talk to Avid personnel pleading for my one little HDV support request, and they didn't want to know about it ! They just told me to send them and email and walked away ! Wow ! I want to take this opportunity to say to Avid you have not treated me fairly, or with respect over the years, and I like MC and I will continue to use it daily, but I refuse to upgrade and I refuse to further support this product any further.

If you are going to support only enterprise clients like NBC, then OK. But if you claim to want to also support the smaller clients like me, then you need to know you are failing miserably to do so and we are not being listened to !

*** I think it is like this: There is a bad sort of internal corporate culture, which has grown up and been allowed to flourish  at Avid, and this needs to be dealt with soon.

Respectfully,

Mark Andrew Job

ICT Productions & Post Montreal.

HP nw 9440 ISV Certified Workstation with nVidia Quaddro FX 1500 M w/512 MB of on board GDDR 3 RAM GPU, 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD, 4... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 23 2011 3:44 AM In reply to

• Saylur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Laguna Woods CA
    • Posts 485
    • Points 6,120

Evansmalley & Mark Job have said it best, Customers are tired of Avid hiding behind the corporate B. S. from lawyers &  management with a million reasons "Why Not".  No

MC-6.0.5,MB Asus Z87 Expert 1150 ATX,Intel Core i7 4770 3.4 Ghz CPU,32GB Kingston DDR3 Mem.,Samsung 840 250GB SSD,Win 7 Pro SP 1, QT 7.7.3,PNY Quadro K2000... [view my complete system specs]

Regards

Mike

• Sun, Jan 23 2011 8:17 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,954
    • Points 70,425

jwrl:
    My point is that this thread is more useful if it identifies workflow problems with MC5 rather than attacks corporate issues that Avid really can't change.
    That's very sensible, but my point is: will I have to pay an upgrade fee to have a straighten-up MC5? Charging customers for fixing DESIGN MISTAKES would be unfair, Avid please, charge the rocket scientist(s) who conceived the so called smart tool and the CTRL key and interface "improvements" instead.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 10 of 43 (634 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller