Latest post Sun, Mar 18 2012 6:45 PM by SteveK. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 14 2011 9:56 AM

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 695
    • Points 10,330

Avid FX (Boris Red) vs. After Effects

Hello

I have increasingly been turning to Avid FX for my FX work (titling / some compositing and other related work) -

I am not talking about BCC or even launching Avid FX from within MC5, but instead I run a version of Avid FX on a separate machine and I import footage/pics and other assets into Avid FX, create my clips and export them as QT Animation clips (with alpha) to a shared directory and then bring those into MC5.

Not the most elegant of ways of doing things, but I find that I can free up render times on my MC5 machine and edit whilst the FX clips export out of Avid FX. (This allows me to use 2 machines effectively) 

As I become more proficient with Avid FX, I find it more and more useful and having only used AE a long time ago (on a probably even then old version), I was wondering how Avid FX (Boris Red) stacked up against After Effects or even other FX / compositing applications (actually I dont use a lot of compositing).

I dont want this to be a MC5 vs. FCP discussion but in terms of preferences, usefulness and usability, any comments or suggestions would be read with interest. (Specifically with reagrds to more optimised workflows)

Regards

MC6 machine: Intel Core i7 Asus P8-H67 64 bit Motherboard 1*1Tb SATA drive - partitioned to C (OS and programs) and D (data) drive 1*1TB SATA drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 14 2011 10:20 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,457
    • Points 234,105
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Avid FX (Boris Red) vs. After Effects

Neil,

I never got into AE when I began with editing on computers. It was too expensive for me back then.
    So I never learned it as I grew into the world of editing.
    But many users grew up with AE alongside their NLEs.
    Those editors can do wonders with AE and there is really no need for them to start learning Boris RED etc.
    Also, at least in the old days, Boris had a very convoluted workflow.

As I grew into editing I came across the Boris range. Cheaper than getting into than AE. So I started with Bris Grafitti and Boris FX while I was still on Pinnacle Liquid.
    Recently, with MC I have been doing more and more with the Boris range (AvidFX and BCC)
    For myself, I can say that all I want to do and more is possible from within the Boris range.
    I have AE CS4 nowadays.... it was in the Suite with Dreamweaver/Photoshop and Indesign (which were the reasons I had for buying CS4) I never open AE.... for me the learning curve would be too much. I am more at home with Boris/AvidFX.

That I think sums it up. If you started with AE then you should stick with it. If you started with Boris then stick with it.

I am pretty sure that AE is a more powerful application with many many more possibilities than Boris.
    But there are only a certain number of things any mortal needs to do with those applications.
    If AE can do 1,000,000 different things and Boris can only do 10,000 - so what? I am never going to need 10,000 anyway.........

Just my ramblings on the 2.
    It is not an AE vs Boris question. It all depends on what you want to do and what you are most at home with.
    Boris can do very many things that most MC users are unaware of.... mainly because they grew up with AE alongside MC, and had no need to get into Boris.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 14 2011 10:46 AM In reply to

I would say it's what ever you feel more at home with but having said that a bit like the difference between Liquid and Media Composer with regards to on-line tutorials, Liquid had few and MC has a lot so there are mountains of AE tutorials and a handful of Boris RED (Avid FX) tutorials, so learning AE is probably easier if starting from scratch and you have the money to buy AE.

As Douglas said AE is probably more capable than Avid FX is the correct hands, but for me at least I would say Avid FX is probably more than I require and while I'd never say I was a dab hand at Boris, I can muddle through without too many issues.

Dean

Media Composer 6.5.3 - QT 7.7.4 - Gigabyte X58R-UD3R - Core i7 930 - Quadro FX1800 (310.90) - 12GB RAM - Win 7 64 bit SP1- 150GB OS - 300GB Data - 2x1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 14 2011 11:14 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,457
    • Points 234,105
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Dean Murray:
    the difference between Liquid and Media Composer with regards to on-line tutorials, Liquid had few and MC has a lot so there are mountains of AE tutorials and a handful of Boris RED (Avid FX) tutorials, so learning AE is probably easier if starting from scratch and you have the money to buy AE.

Dean,

I made a few tutorials for MC, and now I am in the process of doing a "few" for AvidFX and BCC . . . . . . . Geeked

Regards,
    Douglas

• Fri, Jan 14 2011 1:52 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,457
    • Points 234,105
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

adamsonn:
    I am not talking about BCC or even launching Avid FX from within MC5, but instead I run a version of Avid FX on a separate machine and I import footage/pics and other assets into Avid FX, create my clips and export them as QT Animation clips (with alpha) to a shared directory and then bring those into MC5.

Niel,
    That was an interesting concept.
    I just spent an hour playing around with the idea......... but using the Avid FX Engine icon that is installed on the desktop as you install AvidFX.
    I have opened AvidFX that way a few times before as a standalone application.
    During the hours play, I exported parts of my MC timeline as QT refs and then imported them into AvidFX standalone.
    Did quite a lot of stuff I had never dreamed of previously and then quick imported the results back into MC.

I see material for even more tutorials here....... Thanks for the idea Yes

Regards,
    Douglas

• Fri, Jan 14 2011 2:18 PM In reply to

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 695
    • Points 10,330

Hello Douglas

Always happyto help - sharing ideas is what makes us better.

For some reason I do prefer working in the Avid FX standalone application rather than through MC5 - I am not sure why - maybe it is purely a load sharing thing between computers or something like that because sometimes using Avid FX from within MC5 can be very easy as well.

Media is readily available from within MC e.g: I recently saw a tutorial about making a cube in MC5 using AvidFX as an effect - all you need to do is put 6 layers of video on 6 tracks in MC5, apply the effect on the top track and  then add a cube in AvidFX and allocate each track as aface of the cube and then done!

It is remarkably easy, so the integration between the apps is a bonus at times.

But working standalone also means not having to render in MC5 and there are occasional stability concerns as well.

I suppose as you said earlier it all depends on personal preferences.

Cheers

MC6 machine: Intel Core i7 Asus P8-H67 64 bit Motherboard 1*1Tb SATA drive - partitioned to C (OS and programs) and D (data) drive 1*1TB SATA drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 16 2011 7:15 PM In reply to

drbgaijin:

I made a few tutorials for MC, and now I am in the process of doing a "few" for AvidFX and BCC . . . . . . . Geeked

Great news Douglas, I look forward to seeing and more importantly picking up some useful tips from them.

Dean

Media Composer 6.5.3 - QT 7.7.4 - Gigabyte X58R-UD3R - Core i7 930 - Quadro FX1800 (310.90) - 12GB RAM - Win 7 64 bit SP1- 150GB OS - 300GB Data - 2x1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 17 2011 1:28 AM In reply to

• sam the sham
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Apple Valley, Ca
    • Posts 924
    • Points 11,790

Just to add to your post Douglas made a test preview of a series he is doing on the BCC 3D Objects. In particular the BCC Extruded Text filter.

He has it on his Screencast site at

http://www.screencast.com/t/Eo8DQyZcizy

MC 6.0.3.1 thank you very much, FCP X v.10.2.3, MAC Pro, 2 @ Intel Quad-Core Xeon 2.4 GHz,(Westmere),12gb 1066mhz DDR3 ram, ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB. 3@ 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 18 2011 9:08 PM In reply to

• Haze
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 764
    • Points 10,205

I would use AE if that's an option.  Not because it better, but because it's not tied to Avid and knowing how to use AE has more value in the marketplace than knowing Avid FX.  I've never seen a job posting that called for knowledge of Avid FX.  Also, if Avid continues its course and flys the plane into the side of a mountain your parachute won't have holes in it.

Avid DS 11 | Z800, Symphony 6.5 | HP xw 8600, MC 6.5 | HP Z400, Unity Storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 18 2011 9:16 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,421
    • Points 97,440

I like having Avid Fx as a fallback, quick-and-dirty tool.  I use AE when I have a  real compositing need.  Apart from anything else, as Haze alluded, AE is an industry standard compositor, Avid Fx is not.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 18 2011 9:34 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,457
    • Points 234,105
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

jwrl:
    I like having Avid Fx as a fallback, quick-and-dirty tool.  I use AE when I have a  real compositing need.  Apart from anything else, as Haze alluded, AE is an industry standard compositor, Avid Fx is not.

I completely agree with Haze and John if we are talking about the many MC users who are working for larger organisations or are out job hunting. That is a very large and important group of users.

However we have to consider that nowadays there is an ever increasing group coming from the one-man facility and serious hobbyist areas. Those users may not have the budget to purchase an Adobe Creative Suite. Whereas they may find that Avid's productivity pack is within their reach.
    For that growing group taking the time to learn how to use AvidFX and its many possibilities can be rewarding and economical.

AvidFX or After Effects? Very much will depend on your situation as a user of MC.

Regards,
    Douglas

• Wed, Jan 18 2012 1:20 AM In reply to

Since we are learning After Effects in College, would I be able to apply what I learned in Adobe After Effects to Boris FX?

Should I try to work later with AVID Motion Grapics?

MC Version: 2018.2 System: PC windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Workstation ATX mid Tower case, MSI Z87-G45 MBoard, 650 watt,Crucial M500 250GB SSD, Intel i7-4770K... [view my complete system specs]

MC 8.4.5     Built Workstation-Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit,/ Intel® CoreTM i7-4770K processor/ NVIDIA Quadro K2000D 2GB/16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz /MSI Z87-G45 Mother Board/650 Watt Power/ Super Multi Blue Writer (LG BH12LS38)/ AVID C-400 for audio interface  Pro Tools MP

• Wed, Jan 18 2012 4:21 PM In reply to

there both pretty similiar concepts. Ive found my knowlege in SE has helped me grasp Avid Fx alot better andwhere i would immediately go to AE for any compsoting, titles, etc, some of that can now be done in Avid FX

• Wed, Jan 18 2012 4:35 PM In reply to

Thanks is Avid Motion Graphics capable of doing what after effects is doing? I understand it can do true 3-d where my instrutor says AF can not do true 3-D modeling.

AVID Motion Graphics.
    http://www.avid.com/US/products/Motion-Graphics

MC Version: 2018.2 System: PC windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Workstation ATX mid Tower case, MSI Z87-G45 MBoard, 650 watt,Crucial M500 250GB SSD, Intel i7-4770K... [view my complete system specs]

MC 8.4.5     Built Workstation-Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit,/ Intel® CoreTM i7-4770K processor/ NVIDIA Quadro K2000D 2GB/16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz /MSI Z87-G45 Mother Board/650 Watt Power/ Super Multi Blue Writer (LG BH12LS38)/ AVID C-400 for audio interface  Pro Tools MP

• Thu, Jan 19 2012 4:26 AM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

One great thing I have noticed with Boris/Avid FX is that the representitive from Boris over in the other part of the forum, I believe it is called Complete your Suite, is really great about doing quick tutorials for people who ask questions on how to do things with Avid FX.  That kind of customer service is awesome in my opinion and really helps a lot when you are trying to figure out/learn how to use the software application.

Camilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller