Latest post Wed, Nov 10 2010 6:08 PM by Cagey. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 10 2010 7:29 AM

How do I get smooth constant motion with Pan and Zoom?

Please help me understand the Pan and Zoom effect - I need to slowly zoom a picture without any easing of the start and end motion so that I can apply a dissolve between the two clips. I've now gone through all the settings but there is still an Ease In and Ease Out effect to the motion at the start and end of the clip once it is rendered. In After Effects I used to just set a start and end keyframe for size and render, and then dissolve between the clips in MC to get the required effect. Due to time constraints I'd prefer not to have to send this to AE now. Can anyone help me with the correct settings? I've got In and Out Velocity and Path set to Linear. What should I do to get an immediate and constant zoom without easing?

Using MC 5.0.3 Win7 Pro 64bit

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 10 2010 10:05 AM In reply to

Re: How do I get smooth constant motion with Pan and Zoom?

Hi,

Under Velocity where it says In: Ease In and Out: Ease Out there are drop down menus just to the left of those parameters where you can change it to constant or linear (I'm not in front of a machine, so I'm not certain of the choices, but that's definitely where they are).

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Nov 10 2010 11:57 AM In reply to

Thanks Carl, yes I picked up mistake shortly after posting. Pan and Zoom rocks..I might just kick my After Effects habit!

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 10 2010 4:16 PM In reply to

For pan and zoom it is much better than AE becasue you don't need to render and import, it's just done in the timeline. If you want to rotate you are SOL though.

Media Composer 2019.11 Home-built Windows 10 Pro Asus Z87-A Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor... [view my complete system specs]

"Don't go by my script, they're always wrong." - producer to me while editing

• Wed, Nov 10 2010 4:20 PM In reply to

Scott Carnegie:
    If you want to rotate you are SOL though.
    Need Rotation then change gear and use BCC's Pan and Zoom or Avid FX and your luck returns whilst remaining in Avid.

• Wed, Nov 10 2010 6:08 PM In reply to

• Cagey
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Vista, CA
    • Posts 319
    • Points 3,990

BCC's Pan and Zoom is IMHO a far better choice.  I believe once you try it you will never go back.

BCC Pan And Zoom Tutorial

Keith

MC8.6.1, Z420 Xeon E5-2670, 32GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1080, DIGI002, Win 10 Pro 64-bit [view my complete system specs]

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that get binary, and those that don't.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller