Latest post Sun, Oct 24 2010 7:02 PM by Marty. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 22 2010 12:23 AM

• dtich
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

trim mode behaviour: bug/change??

mc 5.0.3, mac os 10.6.4

entering trim mode selects the nearest parallel edits and enters symmetric trim... heretofore, at this point, i could double click on a segment and go into slip mode with internal rollers, or option double click for external rollers... and hold shift to add tracks.. now however it seems that double clicking just exits trim mode???  

is this others' experience as well?  is that how it is now supposed to work??  this is totally no good for me, this was a very common maneuver i performed to slip and slide tracks and now it doesn't work that way.  

is there a pref for this, can i get that behaviour back??

also, i am not in any way inclined to use the 'smart tool' or whatever it's called that mimics fcp timeline editing.  in fact, i'd really like to remove that pane (the far left) from the timeline altogether-- is that a pref??  i can't seem to find one that would hide it.  every now and again i accidentally find myself in this 'smart tool' mode and it's a real pain, and dangerous-- changes get made without you even knowing.  

i really really wish that when avid changes basic tool behaviour they would give us the option of adopting it or leaving it how it was.  legacy mode, as it were... or whatever.  i mean, i use avid, not fcp, and so why do i want it to work like fcp all of the sudden??

interested in others' experience with this.... are people simply 'getting used' to this new mode, or is it troublesome?

• Fri, Oct 22 2010 9:11 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,130

Re: trim mode behaviour: bug/change??

Well there's definitely some changes to trim behaviour ;-)

I'm finding that when I select to trim assymettrically (shift click to add trim sides on different tracks) then click back on the first trim to make it the watch point... I'm now in slip mode on that segment only - so that's the answer to what used to be double click on the segment.

My solution is to now select the watch point with a 'control' click (on PC). My mind knows it, my muscles are having trouble getting to grips with it.

As for ST prefs - I have it set to 'always switch off when clicking TC track' , 'only allow one type of segment tool' , and really only use it for keyframing (which I now have to explicitly turn on with a keystroke, but I'm getting used to that).

There are some occasions, despite 'linking' *always* being off, where an associated audio track moves with a video segment move, also I do *occasionally* get some sync error appearing, despite sync locks always being on (you know, V1 is 12 frames out of sync throughout all of a sudden). Can't fathom what it is I'm doing there.

I've got this programme broken into reels, so it's not too tricky to fix.

Can't answer to turning off the ST entirely - but I need the keyframing. 

iMac 5K on High Sierra MC 2020.5, HP z420 MC 2020.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 22 2010 10:58 AM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 943
    • Points 11,035

I agree, the new aysemmetric trim makes my work slower.
    you have to deselect the side you want to trim instead of select the side and now you have to doubleclick very slow to make the trim the watch point and avoid the slip mode. I don't get the reason why it was changed....

Also look here:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/85315/482370.aspx#482370

and here:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/85138/482176.aspx#482176

cheers

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Fri, Oct 22 2010 9:43 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,130

Bloersch:

you have to deselect the side you want to trim instead of select the side and now you have to doubleclick very slow to make the trim the watch point and avoid the slip mode. 

Try control clicking rather than the slow double click (probably opt click on a mac, but who knows...)

iMac 5K on High Sierra MC 2020.5, HP z420 MC 2020.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 22 2010 10:58 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 943
    • Points 11,035

TrevorA:
    Try control clicking rather than the slow double click

Ah, that's very helpful! Thank you.

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Sun, Oct 24 2010 6:15 PM In reply to

• jok71
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 29 2007
    • Posts 39
    • Points 505

TrevorA:
    Try control clicking rather than the slow double click

I don't think you need any modifiers at all to move the watch point, at least not on Mac. Try just a simple click.

MC 2019.12 - Windows 10 Professional - HP Z4 - Quadro P2000 - 32GB RAM - Intensity Pro 4K [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 24 2010 7:02 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 943
    • Points 11,035

Great, a simple click also works to select the watch point.

So what feels wrong now is that you can select the dual-roller trim with shift when you want to perform an asymmetric trim. And I think you couldn't do that in older versions.
    Because if you want to trim the other side you need two steps - select dual roller trim > deselect the side you don't want to trim.
    And after using MC5 for some months that still feels strange to me, because in older versions you simply selected the other side you want to trim with one click (holding shift).
    And the dual-roller trim doesn't make sense because you can't move anything when that is selected.

So I guess it's a bug that appeared because of the new overwrite / ripple trim modes ?!? 
    Or maybe it's a new function and someone can explain that?

cheers

www.film-editing.de

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller