Latest post Fri, Oct 8 2010 12:27 PM by AntCaladine. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 24 2010 2:39 PM

Anyone reading P2 cards in certified laptops?

I'm using a certified HP Elitebook 8730w laptop with MC5. Although I can connect to a P2 device through USB and input media into MC this way, I'd like to be able to insert the cards straight into the laptop's PCI Express slot and access media from there, if only to transfer media from the card to a backup drive. Is this possible without a dedicated P2 reader? I've now installed the laterst version of the P2 driver software and I am still unable to access the card - it simply doesn't show in Windows Explorer.

Is anyone successfully doing this with this model of laptop, or any other HP laptop? Will appreciate any help.

Using Windows 7 Pro 64bit. 64bit P2 driver software installed. Trying to access a 32GB E-series P2 card.

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 25 2010 9:37 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,419
    • Points 97,410

Re: Anyone reading P2 cards in certified laptops?

Corne, I'm reasonably certain that P2 cards are PCMCIA devices, and require that (now obsolete) type of slot.

I have a PCMCIA adapter in a spare PCI slot on one of my desktops for just this reason.  I have no trouble reading P2 cards directly on that PC.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 25 2010 11:11 AM In reply to

Thanks jwrl. You're right. I found a possible solution for the laptop: Digigear Expresscard Adapter. Just one more thing than needs to hang off the side of the laptop...one more leg for the octopus Hmm

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 25 2010 9:39 PM In reply to

Hi,

I have a HP NW9440 which worked like a dream with P2 cards.Used it for News edits on the road. Been a while but it worked when i used to slot the P2 card in the  PC Card slot. The material would come up as proxies almost instant. Just had to install the P2 driver from panasonic and go!

*****Stay Tuned***** [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 25 2010 11:06 PM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Maryland
    • Posts 672
    • Points 8,015

I have an HP 8540w with 8 gigs of RAM, I purchased a Rosewill Express Card to Card Bus adaptor RC-608 for P2 files and it works fine.  I  also have a SIIG Express Card/54 CF R/W adaptor card for compact flash cards which I have been using allot lately transferring my 5D files to two hard drives using ShotPut pro.  I'm using this setup in the field and so far it has worked out fine. I also purchased two 1TB G-Drives, I connect one to my eSATA port, one to my fire wire port and I am able to transfer files fairly quickly from the cards to the hard drives. I've also installed Avid MC5 which when I know I'm going to be in the field for awhile I deactivate on my home machine and activate on my laptop.  I had a green screen shoot once and was able to import the files into Avid and demonstrate to the client that the green screen was working.  I also use Avid in the field to sync up my Canon 5D video and audio files using the read audio time code function inside the special dropdowns inside Avid.

HP Z800 2x 3.46GHz Hex Core X5690, 96GB Ram, Windows 10, Samsung SSD 1TB, Avid Mojo DX, Nvidia Quadro K4000, GTX 1080 FTW, DeckLink SDI 4K, Avid MC-2018... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 4 2010 11:33 AM In reply to

Unable to get Expresscard adapter working - where am I going wrong?

I'm trying to use an ST Labs C-380 Expresscard to card bus adapter working on a certified HP 8370w laptop so I can use P2 cards directly without having to connect a camera first. Also see this post >> http://community.avid.com/forums/t/89240.aspx

My local computer store sourced the ST Labs adapter, but it does not work. Win 7 recognises a "PCI to PCI bridge" device in the system tray, but indicates that there are no drivers for the device. I've now checked the ST labs website and there are no dedicated drivers for the adapter and it seems not to require any drivers at all. I can import P2 via MC without any issues, so I assume then that I do have the correct P2 drivers installed.

Any ideas? See system specs below

• Mon, Oct 4 2010 11:47 AM In reply to

Re: Unable to get Expresscard adapter working - where am I going wrong?

I see I just added to my original post...was actually trying to start a new one.

Still, any help will be much appreciated

• Mon, Oct 4 2010 11:51 AM In reply to

Hi,

CorneScheepers:
    I see I just added to my original post...was actually trying to start a new one.

Still, any help will be much appreciated

Actually, that was me (and you should have a PM notification shortly).  I joined your new question to the existing thread to a) save you a ton of "Why are you trying to do this?" questions and b) keep the number of questions on similar subjects down.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Oct 8 2010 11:29 AM In reply to

This little issue is starting to drive me nuts! Angry

Progress thus far:

1) Downloaded current 64bit P2 driver for Win 7

2) Uninstalled all current P2 drivers in order to do clean install

3) Inserted the P2 card into the ST Lab C-380 adaptor

4) Inserted card and adapter into laptop's expresscard slot. Adaptor's green light shines, but system tray reports driver not found for the new device

5) Run P2 installer, selecting "P2 card Cardbus" under P2 devices. Installation finishes succuessfully. Reboot.

6) No joy - P2 card still does not show up in Windows Explorer.

I've now inserted the adapter by itself and it looks as though it is missing a driver. The manufacturer's website states that no driver is neccesary. Device Manager reports that the PCI Serial and PCI Simple Communications Controller has issues and that no drivers can be found. Windows cannot find any other drivers online.

I suspect the following:

1) The P2 driver is installed successfully and I can import P2 into MC using AMA. So the P2 card can't be the issue

2) The adapter requires no driver according to the manufacturer, so Windows must have the driver. Only Windows says it can't find any, in which case the adaptor is crap or not designed to work with my laptop

3) My Windows installation might be missing the neccesary drivers. However, I am running an SDI Mojo and Matrox Mini from the same slot without issues. Is there a generic driver I can try somewhere?

Any ideas? I can't believe that something this simple can be so hard to solve.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated

• Fri, Oct 8 2010 11:50 AM In reply to

Just had an Aha! moment...

Plugged in the Matrox Mini, made sure it was running correctly in MC and then checked Device Manager again. PCI Serial Port and PCI Simple Communications Controller still has yellow triangle next to them. I'm suspecting now that my Windows installation is missing something. Possible?

I've also checked other manufacturers equivalent cards (Rosewill) and non of them require drivers either.

So I'm suspecting an OS issue here. Any other comments?

• Fri, Oct 8 2010 11:57 AM In reply to

• AntCaladine
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 11 2007
    • Stourbridge, UK
    • Posts 378
    • Points 4,785

I had those drivers missing on my 8730 when I downgraded back to vista last month. I think it was related the the ricoh drivers for the card bus slot.

Worth a try?

Most drivers are on the hp website

Ant

2x HP Z8 G4, 96GB ram, Win10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia Quadro P4000 8GB AMC 2020.6 1x HP Z820 16GB ram, Win10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia Quadro 4000 AMC 2020.6 2x Aja... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 8 2010 12:21 PM In reply to

Hi Ant

Just downloaded and installed the Ricoh drivers from HP's 8730w/Win7 64 page. sp45112.exe

No change unfortunately.

Are the indicated PCI Serial Port and Simple Communications Controller related to the expresscard slot at all? I suppose a reinstall of Win7 might be an option, but it something I very much want to a avoid.

• Fri, Oct 8 2010 12:27 PM In reply to

• AntCaladine
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 11 2007
    • Stourbridge, UK
    • Posts 378
    • Points 4,785

Im just uploading some drivers to my ftp, then I'll email you direct.

Dont reinstall!!

2x HP Z8 G4, 96GB ram, Win10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia Quadro P4000 8GB AMC 2020.6 1x HP Z820 16GB ram, Win10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia Quadro 4000 AMC 2020.6 2x Aja... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller