Latest post Thu, Aug 26 2010 4:34 PM by Kenton.VanNatten. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 22 2010 8:57 PM

• jakeheat
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • London
    • Posts 504
    • Points 6,080

Can someone at Avid explain why Smart Tool can't be dissabled?

What was the thinking behind forcing us to change the way we edit? Couldn't you give us the choice? This along with all the other issues mentioned in other posts (the Ctrl key issue, no Timeline Cut and Paste, clip/sequence info issue etc, etc..) this is all adding about an extra 1000 mouse clicks to my day - no joke this could cause RSI. I'm a keyboard editor, i like to spead the load through out my 10 fingers. Let me turn of ST and go back to to using the brilliant machine you guys developed 20 years ago.
    Media Composer 2019.8.0 Dell Precision 5820, 32GB, i9-9920x, Quadro P2000, W10 [view my complete system specs]

@jaketheeditor 

• Sun, Aug 22 2010 9:35 PM In reply to

Re: Can someone at Avid explain why Smart Tool can't be dissabled?

It can be disabled, the PROBLEM is that it can't be turned off. At random times, with no discernible pattern that can be replicated, the smart tool will decide to self re-enable, and it can happen in any mode. And this happens despite manually disabling it by clicking the border around it, and having chosen the disable option in timeline settings. It even happened when I was just maximizing the program from the toolbar. And if you don't notice it, all kinds of sync damage is done to the portions of your timeline beyond what is currently displayed. This wreaks havoc on a multilayer 30 to 60 minute program. Simply put, the smart tool needs an on/off swtich that you can rely on.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Aug 22 2010 10:55 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

I don't know if they'll explain it, but they sure do know by now that there are many users unhappy with it. Whether they do anything about it remains to be seen - but I remain hopeful . .

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Sun, Aug 22 2010 11:14 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,689
    • Points 66,755

Can someone at Avid explain why Smart Tool can't be dissabled?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ a rhetorical question? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Symphony 20.06, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Aug 26 2010 1:33 PM In reply to

• editmk
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • London
    • Posts 247
    • Points 3,390

And you can't double click a clip in trim mode to enter slip edit.

And you can't click in the record monitor and press CTNL I then enter a new start code or name for the sequence!

I have to say I am pretty annoyed at how the super tool has slowed down my workflow. Significantly.

Give users the choice.

www.mikegreen.tv

• Thu, Aug 26 2010 2:07 PM In reply to

• jok71
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 29 2007
    • Posts 39
    • Points 505

editmk:
    And you can't click in the record monitor and press CTNL I then enter a new start code or name for the sequence!

But you can enter a new start TC in the appropriate bin column. I don't think you could do that before. So instead of CTRL-I, just click "find bin" and change the name and/or sequence TC in the bin instead.

MC 2019.12 - Windows 10 Professional - HP Z4 - Quadro P2000 - 32GB RAM - Intensity Pro 4K [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 26 2010 2:18 PM In reply to

• editmk
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • London
    • Posts 247
    • Points 3,390

You could always do that.

See the thing is, I am working away on a sequence and I want to make a duplicate sequence so I keep the old cut. I click on the window and select CNTL+D to duplicate, then I have to find a bin and change the details there where as before I click CNTL+D, ENTER, CNTL+I, Type name, TAB, type start timecode, ENTER.

I would be all for the change if I could see a need for it. Instead CNTL+I brings up an info window. and changing the details has moved to 'Sequence Report', and when I make the changes in there I can't even hit enter to close it. That brings up a dialogue to save the sequence report.

Please could someone at Avid explain why that system had to change? Explain to me how the new system is better. What are the added benefits. I would love to discuss. Please.

www.mikegreen.tv

• Thu, Aug 26 2010 2:21 PM In reply to

• Neil J
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 576
    • Points 7,390

Duplicate the seq from the rec window. Copy is loaded into the rec window. Right click in window - go to Get Sequence Info...

Everything you need is there and has been for a long time.

• Thu, Aug 26 2010 2:54 PM In reply to

This is one of the infuriating changes- You can no longer duplicate the sequence then Click Aplle I and rename it without using the mouse. 

You have to use the "sequence Report"!!?! make changes - using the mouse- Apply changes -using the mouse- and then hit cancel- using the mouse.

Grrrr.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 26 2010 2:59 PM In reply to

"... What was the thinking behind forcing us to change the way we edit? ...."

Well, according to the e-mail I got yesterday, advertising a Webinar , "Edit Faster Using Advasnced Timeline Techniques"... we can now choose how we want to work.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Aug 26 2010 3:58 PM In reply to

• jakeheat
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • London
    • Posts 504
    • Points 6,080

It looks like Avid's trying to get rid of the keyboard.  This has always been MC's great advantage over FCP in that you can get most of your work done without using the mouse - and thus avoid R.S.I.

It's clear from the the direction Avid is taking with version 5 that they have decided to shift MC towards mouse based editing. Still with the new patches, my work is taking several hundred more clicks a day to complete. What is this whole sequence report thing? It's nice to have the option, but it complicates the whole process of changing Sequence Names and Timecodes. Give us back our old info window, far more useful in 95 per cent of my work flow.

Randall L Rike:
    choose how we want to work.

Well, I'd like to work like I did in version 4, and every version before that. As a touch typist I wan't to be given the option of using ST, I don't want it to come on in each session by default.  I don't like using my mouse to trim, it's not accurate enough for me, I can watch a clip and know exactly how many frames I need to loose, I've been editing for over 20 years now and can punch in commands on the keyboard faster than the Avid can execute them (except on a Meridian system!). Come on Avid there was nothing wrong with your editing interface, it was the effects, audio, colour.... controls you needed to bring up to date.  Still not convince with how you've implemented the stereo tracks...

Media Composer 2019.8.0 Dell Precision 5820, 32GB, i9-9920x, Quadro P2000, W10 [view my complete system specs]

@jaketheeditor 

• Thu, Aug 26 2010 4:34 PM In reply to

FYI:  The 5.0.3.1 patch that was released the other day included a ReadME that outlined a lot of changes

Here are some:

"You can specify the behavior of the segment tools in the Timeline palette to allow only one segment tool to be enabled at a time. Previously, you could only use the default behavior, which allowed both segment tools to be enabled at once."

"If you copied a marked section of a sequence in the Timeline with no segment tool selected in the Smart tool, and then pasted the material into the sequence, the action enabled the segment tool or tools you had last selected. This has been fixed. If you disable both segment tools and perform a copy and paste operation, the application does not enable any segment tools and the paste is based on the default segment tool selection."

"Some methods for selecting segments for slip or slide trimming by lassoing segments in the Timeline did not work. This has been fixed so that the lasso operations available in Avid Media Composer and Symphony earlier than v5.0, and in Avid NewsCutter earlier than v9.0, have been restored."

"If you copied a marked section of a sequence in the Timeline with no segment tool selected in the Smart tool, and then pasted the material into the sequence, the action enabled the segment tool or tools you had last selected. This has been fixed. If you disable both segment tools and perform a copy and paste operation, the application does not enable any segment tools and the paste is based on the default segment tool selection."

I applaud designers and developers for hearing our concerns and acting swiftly.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller