Latest post Thu, Apr 21 2011 9:43 AM by Geoffs. 135 replies.
Page 7 of 10 (136 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 27 2010 11:28 AM In reply to

• ChrisH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 4 2008
    • London
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,410

Re: MC5 Bin Memory - Excessive?

Thanks Larry.

Work: Freelance, so usually a recent-ish Media Composer and ISIS/Unity Home: MC8.x, OS 10.10.5, 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core i7, Flash HDD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 15 2010 2:45 PM In reply to

• Domingo01
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 15 2010
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Hello Larry.

Any update on this issue? I have 4 Mac stations with the same problems here, Mojo DX and MXO2 mini. Clients are getting mad.

thanks

alex

• Mon, Nov 15 2010 3:07 PM In reply to

Sorry Domingo, but I have not received any responses to my requests for updates on various outstanding issues. I wish I could give you better news.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Nov 18 2010 10:53 PM In reply to

• Eric Mueller
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 1 2010
    • Chicago, IL
    • Posts 82
    • Points 950

Another v.5 victim here.  It's been four months since this thread began... very discouraging.

MC 6.0.3, Mojo DX, Mac OS 10.8.2, dual-Quad 2.26ghz (early 2009), NVIDIA GeForce GT 120, 24GB RAM, internal 3TB RAID 0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 19 2010 12:52 PM In reply to

• Adam MC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 19 2010
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

Hi,

In my case creating titles with Marquee increases bin memory about 2-3% per title.

If it reach 100% up, only restart the MC helps.

Avid MC 5.0.3, Mac Pro "Nahalem" 8 cores 2.26 GHz 10 GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 16 2011 12:05 PM In reply to

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has got any closer to discovering the root of the problem regarding the memory leak?

I'm running MC5.0 with Matrox 02 Mini. (Down-graded from 5.0.3 to see if it would be more stable)

Did a test by creating a new project and straight away memory was up to 21% with nothing in the project. I have since disconnected the Matrox, and memory does seem to be more stable, although I haven't really put it through its paces as yet. I've essentially only been cutting down long interviews and subtitling using Marquee AutoTitler, so not really doing any heavy editing. Projects are 720/25p.

System specs... MacPro 5,1/ 2x2.24 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/ 8GB RAM./ ATI RADEON HD 5770.

• Wed, Feb 16 2011 12:17 PM In reply to

• ChrisH
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,410

Nothing yet, but if you're willing to shell out another 150-odd quid/bucks the problem might be sorted for version 5.5. Or it might not! Who knows?

Work: Freelance, so usually a recent-ish Media Composer and ISIS/Unity Home: MC8.x, OS 10.10.5, 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core i7, Flash HDD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 16 2011 12:32 PM In reply to

• Howard
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 23 2007
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 116
    • Points 1,585

ChrisH:

Nothing yet, but if you're willing to shell out another 150-odd quid/bucks the problem might be sorted for version 5.5. Or it might not! Who knows?

In view of the amount of money and man-hours that have been lost due to the unacceptable problems with v5, I honestly feel that Avid, in good faith, should make v5.5 a FREE update as compensation for this loss, and hopefully recover a lot of lost faith in the product!

HPZ400, 16GBRam. MCv8.3.1 [view my complete system specs]

Howard Kramer

Avid Editor / System Support Engineer

AV Intelligence - Auckland, New Zealand

• Wed, Feb 16 2011 12:36 PM In reply to

I'm waiting for a copy of the readme for MC 5.5 to see what if any bugs were addressed and fixed.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Feb 16 2011 12:45 PM In reply to

• ChrisH
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,410

That's a nice thought and should be expected with any decent business model with even a moderate level of customer service, but I'd bet the cost to upgrade that no-one is listening to you. They just want your money, which stings a bit more when you pump thousands of your own money in updates. Should have downloaded a cracked copy. As for the next studio feature, it's difficult to convince producers that Avid is bullet proof when I can't even convince myself. All the problems I see in Final Cut have somehow surfaced here.

• Wed, Feb 16 2011 1:08 PM In reply to

• Howard
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 23 2007
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 116
    • Points 1,585

ChrisH:

That's a nice thought and should be expected with any decent business model with even a moderate level of customer service, but I'd bet the cost to upgrade that no-one is listening to you. They just want your money, which stings a bit more when you pump thousands of your own money in updates. Should have downloaded a cracked copy. As for the next studio feature, it's difficult to convince producers that Avid is bullet proof when I can't even convince myself. All the problems I see in Final Cut have somehow surfaced here.

I'm totally with you here Chris. Over the past year, Avid have been arrogant and have not listened to their valued customers and their very valid concerns over v5. One of my clients is probably losing up to 5 man-hours a day over 10 suites because of memory caused crashes and continual rebooting. I don't expect any of my dozens of Avid clients rushing out to buy v 5.5 as they have been badly burnt and don't have any confidence in new releases. In fact, v4 has become very popular as the edit platform with maybe one v5 for AMA ingest only!

Once again, I fear that 5.5 is released for NAB publicity and not for the benefits of serious users.

Lets wait for MC v5.5, 5.5.1, 5.5.2, 5.5.3.........etc ad nauseum, and see if its worth the upgrade. I think we might just wait it out until a 64bit multiprocessor capable version is released and try to recover all the lost time and money!

HPZ400, 16GBRam. MCv8.3.1 [view my complete system specs]

Howard Kramer

Avid Editor / System Support Engineer

AV Intelligence - Auckland, New Zealand

• Wed, Feb 16 2011 8:20 PM In reply to

• Chrisedit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 22 2010
    • Posts 24
    • Points 350

This is a huge issue and needs to be resolved immediately.  After all the years AVID has been around this should be an issue that should have never come up.  How can they expect editors to work, purchase and speak highly of the product if you have to restart the program numerous times during a session.  This does not look good esp. when clients are in the bay.  Now they want to charge for an upgrade to 5.5 when that haven't even released a stable version for those of us who paid for 5.0.  They have also made many complicated changes to the program without making options for those editors who have been on the AVID for years, such as advanced key framing, getting into slip mode, advanced audio editing, etc.

• Wed, Feb 16 2011 8:27 PM In reply to

Whats really interesting is the same hardware setup running MC V5.0.3.7

One running Windows XP 32bit and one running Windows 7 64bit and the windows 7 machine will slow to a crawl after half a days work while the XP machine still runs fine.

Both are bieng used in Avid 101 classes so doing similar amount of work.

We've discovered all 3 of our Windows 7 64bit systems need a mid afternoon re-boot to remain stable.

Not agreat advert for Avid when the client asks why.

No real answer you can give them.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 4:18 PM In reply to

• mkeady
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 29 2006
    • London
    • Posts 31
    • Points 395

Another Avid user with the same issue that has been the bane of mine and my editors life for the past few weeks!

I am running 5.03 Adrenaline and there is quite a difference in memory loss from the box being turned off and on.

My editor is running same Avid version but using Matrox box and has been having far more crahse than I have. She keeps far more bins open than I do and works pretty fast. Haven't been able to test her system yet.

Media Composer 5.5.3 Adrenaline Mac OSX 10.6.8 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Feb 28 2011 4:23 PM In reply to

Is anyone here running the 5.0.3.8 patch file? If so, can you confirm whether or not this problem still exists with 5.0.3.8? Thanks in advance.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 7 of 10 (136 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller