Latest post Mon, Jul 5 2010 12:26 PM by switthaus. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 2 2010 3:43 AM

• sos1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 2 2010
    • Posts 6
    • Points 115

MC5 Red export?

hi, i upgraded to MC5 so i can work with red footage.

is it true that i cannot make a quicktime reference or any quicktime output from the R3D files without transcoding or consolidating? when i try i get an excption:quicktime reference exports cannot be performed on clips linked via AMA or on sequences containing media linked via AMA.

i upgraded so i didn't have to transcode the R3D files anymore, but i'm feeling like i still need to. is there another way?

thanks!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-Inch, Late 2014), 4 GHz Intel Core i7, memory 32 GB, OS X 10.10.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 2 2010 4:36 PM In reply to

Re: MC5 Red export?

AMA is work in progress. 

Yes, now you don't have to import to edit (but it's still recommended you do) but you will have to transcode in order to output.  Fortunately, you are only transocding the clips in your sequence, instead of all clips on import, so it shouldn't be as bad.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Sat, Jul 3 2010 3:58 PM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,627
    • Points 18,645

Also for preview and approval purposes I have found that doing a video mixdown, then duping your seq and dropping the mixdown in, then QT Ref is quicker than transcoding and easier to keep track of. Video mixdown also negates the need to render any effects.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Sat, Jul 3 2010 5:56 PM In reply to

• sameditor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 2 2009
    • Posts 36
    • Points 535

To be honest I don't see much of a difference between a transcode vs a mixdown. Avid has to go through the same process in order to produce a mixdown. The down side is you don't have a easily editable cut sequence you can tweak if you need to. I'd prefer to transcode sequence (with handles) and then output from there. You don't safe render time because Avid essentially renders the FX as it mix's down.

To speed up the transcode try adjusting the RED settings in media creation (Ctl 5) you should be able to offset quality versus speed.  

MBP 2.66 Intel - 4gb RAM - Intel 80gb SSD - Glyph 1TB FW Raid 1 - MC5.03 - OSX 10.6.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 5 2010 2:12 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,627
    • Points 18,645

sameditor:

To be honest I don't see much of a difference between a transcode vs a mixdown. Avid has to go through the same process in order to produce a mixdown. The down side is you don't have a easily editable cut sequence you can tweak if you need to. I'd prefer to transcode sequence (with handles) and then output from there. You don't safe render time because Avid essentially renders the FX as it mix's down.

To speed up the transcode try adjusting the RED settings in media creation (Ctl 5) you should be able to offset quality versus speed.  

Your mileage may vary but my "real world" tests found that video mixdown was more than twice as fast as an "expert" render of a sequence. Moreover you are guaranteed to have everything in one codec for QT ref. I know rendering all your effects is not the same as transcoding your source clips but if you have to do both that is going to take much longer. Remember I am only talking about getting something out for approval, not a final master.

Also i do not lose my source sequence - i dupe it and go back to it make any changes. Make any changes to a transcoded sequence and you might have to use untranscoded media, your handles might not be long enough etc. There is not an easy way in Avid just to transcode the untranscoded clips yet.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Mon, Jul 5 2010 12:26 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,260
    • Points 30,670

Also onsider that you will probably need to be in "yellow/yellow" draft mode to get acceptable playback of R3d material via AMA.  Like Kevin said, AMA is a work in progress.  Best suited for review and selection than for heavy duty editing right now, but it will get better over time.  But if I am in your shoes now, I review via AMA and transcode selects for the cut.  Good luck.

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller