Latest post Thu, Feb 24 2011 3:34 AM by John Moore. 28 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 3 2011 2:05 PM In reply to

Re: Vote for Symphony Control Surface

Nah, they thought we would rather have the smart tool...

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 3 2011 5:19 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,303
    • Points 28,430
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Just so everyone is aware, the EUCON protocol is Mac OS X only. It needs to first be ported to Windows and then added into the editors. This work is taking place but I have no information about if/when support will be added.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Mon, Jan 3 2011 5:34 PM In reply to

Sounds Cool. How us Mac people? Can we have it in Symph sooner? ;)

• Mon, Jan 3 2011 8:06 PM In reply to

It's hard to answer that question without going into the rumour mill, BUT the rumour mill suggests something cool at NAB.

Ra-ey

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer 6 Certified User

Media Composer 6 Certified Professional

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Mon, Jan 3 2011 8:21 PM In reply to

Avid has already released Eucon control with Protools 9 (at least with Mac.) I had assumed it was on the PT9 Windows 7 version as well but maybe not.

• Tue, Jan 11 2011 9:12 AM In reply to

• Abie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Telaviv
    • Posts 268
    • Points 3,310

My Vote too - hurry up - years overdue - I remember looking into this when I bought Symphony 1.0 (about thirteen years ago IIRC)...

Interesting question is will it be available for Symphony only or MC too. Each has a diferent CC tool. So could this be something that re-establishes the diference between MC and Symph that long time users (like me) would feel protects their investment and loyalty to Symphony or will Avid be tempted to sell lots of panels and also stay competitive with FCP Color etc. and perhaps add the Symphony toolset to MC. I would prefer the former, along with a revamp of the Symphony CC tools (power windows, 4k support etc.)

Come on Avid...

14xMC 5.03 on HP xw8200/8400/8600 2xSymphony Nitris DX 5.03 and 6.0 HP Z800/6 or 12 Gb ram/nvidia Quadro 4800 [view my complete system specs]

Abie Edit Studios Telaviv

• Thu, Jan 20 2011 5:21 PM In reply to

• rdeditor
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 100
    • Points 1,335

I'd love to see this too but I won't hold my breath. I don't know what Avid's business plan is but it doesn't seem to include Symphony.

Freelance. Symphony, Symphony Nitris, DS Nitris [view my complete system specs]
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."
  • Fri, Feb 18 2011 8:36 AM In reply to

• Abie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Telaviv
    • Posts 268
    • Points 3,310

Why no Euphonix Artis color controller in 5.5?

%$#%$^&%*&???

At least this would be a reason to upgrade - other than bug fixes of course, I am not about to swap my Nitris DX for an AJA, and don't need script find for On Line.

Again Symphony neglected!

Usually there are one or two bonuses specifically aimed for Symphony users in any new release - but not this time, and we will probably have to pay more than MC users.

14xMC 5.03 on HP xw8200/8400/8600 2xSymphony Nitris DX 5.03 and 6.0 HP Z800/6 or 12 Gb ram/nvidia Quadro 4800 [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Feb 18 2011 11:54 AM In reply to

Had a chance to play with the control surface on the MC 5.5 at BVE yesterday on both Mac and PC.

Seems to work ok. For me the layout is too generic to feel quick and comfortable. You can't really use the panel by feel you have to look down at what you're doing and it's alarge panel so the keyboard has to live out of the way.

The keyborad is the real strnegth in MC and the value of a control surface would seem to be in the color correction and effects areas I'd have thought.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Fri, Feb 18 2011 6:35 PM In reply to

• Abie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Telaviv
    • Posts 268
    • Points 3,310

Maybe they are holding back something for NAB - colour panel in 64-bit Geeked

You gotta stay optimistic in this business

• Sat, Feb 19 2011 2:21 AM In reply to

Abie:

Maybe they are holding back something for NAB - colour panel in 64-bit Geeked

You gotta stay optimistic in this business

I really like to think so...  Fingers crossed!

Ra-ey

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer 6 Certified User

Media Composer 6 Certified Professional

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 3:56 PM In reply to

To be honest from the limited time I had to play with the panels last week I could see it being a particularly useful tool currently.

The play shuttle control doesn't operate like a deck control. You have to select play, stop, jog, shuttle.

In shuttle it doesn't spring back to pause.

The two rows of hard buttons are very offset from the display legends for them (most users couldn't see the relationship)

Basically it seemed impossible to use without looking at what you are doing and it wasn't complete enough to replace the keyboard so you ended up reaching around between them.

I guess if the functionality becomes really great you'll adapt but it wasn't for me. (yet)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 4:06 PM In reply to

• RobertoMFS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 2 2006
    • Some PlAce IN the world
    • Posts 78
    • Points 1,040

+1 for color control surface on Symphony

and

+1 for color control surface on DS

regards

Rob.

2 Unity 16TB, 2 Archion Synergy 32TB, 2 Lanshare LP 8TB, 2 Mediarray LP 8TB, 1 Lanshare EX 2.88TB,1 DS 10.5, 2 Symphony Nitris DX, 6 MC Nitris DX, 5 Media... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 24 2011 3:34 AM In reply to

• John Moore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 3 2006
    • Studio City, CA
    • Posts 397
    • Points 4,465

What you are discribing sound very similar to what cmx called the gizmo and the ISC/GVG/Editshare had as the jogger panel.  You had to hit a button to choose shuttle, var and jog.  It was very cool on ISC and eventually CMX got the gizmo to work okay.  Once you were use to the location of the buttons you didn't have to look down.  But these joggers didn't take up much space like a fader panel would.

Symphony Nitris and Nitris DX 4.x and MCsoft 5.x & 5.5x, MCsoft 6, Artist Color [view my complete system specs]

John Moore Barking Trout Productions bigfish@pacbell.net

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller