Latest post Thu, Jun 30 2011 7:33 PM by nickeditor. 52 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 14 2010 9:12 AM In reply to

Re: Why not MetaFuze for Mac's????

First, RedCine-X and RocketCine-X are two different beasts (great naming scheme there). The second one needs a Red Rocket to run, the first one does not. I don't believe that RedCine-X has all the MXF export capabilities that RocketCine-X has (not sure it works on PC), but it does seem to have some. RocketCine-X is currently Mac-only.

MetaFuze is not just for Red, it also handles Arri D21, DPX, QT and much more.

Avid has been developing MetaFuze on the PC. It's not beta, but still being developed. Version 2.1 is faster yet again than 2.0 was, and both versions are faster than RedRushes ever was (I'm relying on Igor's data here).

Red has been developing RocketCine-X and RedCine-X on Mac, all still in beta by the way. I'm reading about some issues left and right, often followed by responses from both Avid and Red staff. From the Reduser forums, it appears that Red and Avid are constructively working together at developing these tools, both apparently seeing the need to give us users what we need, and not just on one platform.

BobbyMurcerFan:
    Is it at the point now where one should strongly consider using RedCine-X over MetaFuze?
    I know too little about RedCine-X, but if you're on a Mac and need to deal with Red files a lot, then RocketCine-X, from a distance, currently seems to be the most complete workflow solution at this point in time.

So currently, on PC, MetaFuze with or without a Red Rocket is a great solution. On PC, RedCine-X or RocketCine-X seem like a great solution.

From my own experience, the Rocket Card with MetaFuze does not accelerate the process as much as I had hoped/expected/was lead to believe. RocketCine-X, from what I hear, is much more powerful. I'm hoping to be able to set up a Mac RocketCine-X system sometime in the next month.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 14 2010 7:21 PM In reply to

Job,

Thanks for the reply. BTW, I believe RedCine-X has been deamed heir apparent to all of the other Red apps: RocketCine-X, RedCine, RedRushes and RedAlert.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sun, Feb 14 2010 8:09 PM In reply to

I don't think that is true in regard to RocketCine-X, only for the other three. RocketCine-X is Red's only Rocket-based application.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 14 2010 9:10 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,954
    • Points 70,425

Hi all, FWIW: I've had a red job lately edited on a Mac MC, the assistant used the red software (his first time) to convert the files and said it has been a no brainer; I don't miss a MetaFuze for Mac at the moment, one way or another the footage can be ingested by Avid, and that is all that matters.

Since we left off I haven't been able to run MetaFuze on Mac with wine nor with CrossOver (same error message), but the CodeWeavers developers are keen to add support for any given product if they have enough requests; on the other hand, as wine is continuosly updated I'll keep trying to install MetaFuze on top of it from time to time as it really runs beautifully under wine/linux (faster than in Win XP) and it eventually will under wine/OSX someday.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Feb 15 2010 1:47 AM In reply to

Job, I'm actually pretty sure that RedCine-X will run w/ or w/o a Rocket card.

It also seems that RedCine-X is becoming the preferred way to go w/ Red files, perhaps even superseding MetaFuze.

Luca, thanks for the update. Smile

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Mon, Feb 15 2010 7:44 AM In reply to

BobbyMurcerFan:
    Job, I'm actually pretty sure that RedCine-X will run w/ or w/o a Rocket card.

You might be right. It did not at first, but that may have changed of course. Makes sense that it will.

• Sat, Apr 23 2011 2:01 AM In reply to

• ajcatoline
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 31
    • Points 485

When is MAC Metafuse coming?  I refuse to work on a lousy PC and so does every pro editor in Los Angeles.  An AE on a 3D show is using an FCP workflow to get clips into an Avid.  This is ridiculous, Avid, get it together and make MAC METAFUSE!

MacBook Pro 2.4ghz 8-core Intel (2021) Mac Pro Trash Can 3.5 Ghz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 (Ivy Bridge) Blackmagic Ultra Studio 4K Avid MC perpetual 2023... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 23 2011 2:23 AM In reply to

• byahseeker
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 8 2008
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 33
    • Points 395

Stereoscopic and DPX workflows rely entirely on Metafuze capabilities.  I know I'm not alone in saying that I would love to see a DPX import feature in avid.  And the old TIFF - > Imagemagik workflow for dpx using terminal commands is a bit much as well.  Switching bootcamp partitions and/or loading up a PC bay just to use metafuze is counterproductive.  I guess what I'm trying to say is has there been any progress getting metafuze to mac or is this just not in the cards?

Home: Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Ghz Dual core xeon with 8 gigs of ram running Media Composer 3.1.3 Work: 2 x 2.66 6 core Xeon 12 GB 1333 MHZ DDR3. 10.7.3 Mac... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 23 2011 2:42 AM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,585
    • ! Avid Employee
      Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Film and 24p

I would just add that when referring to R3D support, REDCINE X is a much better solution for transcoding than MetaFuze. It uses Avid's AMT for MXF wrapped native DNxHD and RED will always keep it up to date with latest camera, color science, and other features much faster. I would also argue that FCP is in third place when working with native R3D - which it does not do at all.

Michael

24p.com

• Sat, Apr 23 2011 2:51 AM In reply to

• byahseeker
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 8 2008
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 33
    • Points 395

You're definitley right as far as R3D is concerned Metafuze isn't really nescessary anymore.  I know there are P2 based 3d cams and the like which may be the 3d workflow they are using otherwise redcine is your best bet.

Oh and whats AMT?

Home: Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Ghz Dual core xeon with 8 gigs of ram running Media Composer 3.1.3 Work: 2 x 2.66 6 core Xeon 12 GB 1333 MHZ DDR3. 10.7.3 Mac... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 23 2011 3:00 AM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,585
    • ! Avid Employee
      Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Film and 24p

AMT stands for Avid Media Toolkit. It is essentially an SDK for third parties to use to create the MXF wrapper for the DNxHD codec with metadata. In REDCINE, the AAF and MXF/DNxHD files are done via AMT. The RED folks create the ALE file with all the metadata in it as a nice and useful addition.

Michael

24p.com

• Sat, Apr 23 2011 6:52 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 18 2009
    • Australia
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,600

haha! no Metafuze for MAC!

And a decent spec PC will eat a MAC alive anyday! & PC's are cheaper to!

oh yeh & don't forget to upgrade your MAC OS for FCPX and you'll proberly need to upgrade your macbook pro as well.....so much for the cheap $299 price tag for FCPX after buying everything esle you need to run it.

• Sat, Apr 23 2011 7:10 AM In reply to

• ajcatoline
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 31
    • Points 485

Sorry real artists we use MACs, and we just don't want to bother at all with crappy PCs and their illogical lousy Windows OS. Avid started long ago on Mac and why it continues to mess around with PC is beyond me.  Mac needs to be its primary platform.  I hate FCP, and that's not a real solution, but for Godsakes Avid know your market...

MacBook Pro 2.4ghz 8-core Intel (2021) Mac Pro Trash Can 3.5 Ghz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 (Ivy Bridge) Blackmagic Ultra Studio 4K Avid MC perpetual 2023... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 23 2011 8:07 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 18 2009
    • Australia
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,600

well at least your doing one thing right your using MC for that I commend you!

& what ever floats your boat mate, but to me the MAC/PC specs and prices do not compare!

for expample....

for the same price ($2,499) of a the Quad 2.8ghz Mac pro desktop

I can get a i7-970 3.2ghz quad CPU

12gig ram instead of 3gig ram

3TB storage instead of 1TB

Blu-Ray writer instead of standard dual layer writer

etc. etc. as for the OS windows is the most flexible OS ever & easy to use,

years ago I used a G3 MAC (not by choice, had to) on FCP for 2 years it was the most rigid UNflexible platform ever! not so much the OS, but all the software installed on it....a little to 'user friendly' with hardly any options to change or adjust anything! even when I did 'get used of it' it still felt like a daily battle to get things done....god I even hated the way the mouse felt...but I guess sinse the G3 days the MAC would be better now, I remember FCP not being that stable either, at least MC would be stable!

Normal 0 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}

• Sat, Apr 23 2011 10:49 AM In reply to

Let's not make this into yet another pointless platform war.

I'd love to see a Mac MetaFuze, I've proposed it more than once, even though I'm platform agnostic (I use both).

Until the time that this port is available, rather than using FCP, I've chosen to use Bootcamp to run MetaFuze on the Mac. And/or RedCine-X.

Page 3 of 4 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller