Latest post Mon, Dec 12 2011 5:13 AM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 49 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:40 PM In reply to

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials?

Wil, That is the best solution.

But now imagine you are working in a production company with lets say 10 to 20 edits with shared unity storage where freelance editors work 16 hours a day in shifts on multiple projects in which, pictures, graphics and titles come from multiple sources some by email, ftp, CD/DVD, USB sticks, hard disks, mobile phones, etc.. and some "low budget" productions want to use youtube material.

You can't be checking on all avid's 16 hours a day at the same time. Trying to forbid people the use of internet or external media is the same as telling people not to eat, drink and smoke in the editing or drive too fast on the road. It's a matter of professionalism of the production teams and editors to be carefull and check. But from experience I can tell you that some don't care or are not aware of the dangers.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Nov 16 2010 7:23 PM In reply to

Are there any settings that are worth checking or changing in Microsoft Security Essentials to make sure Media Composer can playback and edit without interference?

Avid Media Composer 5 Avid Symphony 6 Windows 7 Pro, NVIDIA Quadro FX1800, Asus Xonar D2 Audio. PDW-700 XDCAM Cameras (Mostly shooting HD422 (50... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 16 2010 7:36 PM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Chicago
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,515

Stephen Montgomery:

Are there any settings that are worth checking or changing in Microsoft Security Essentials to make sure Media Composer can playback and edit without interference?

I'm using the default settings for MSE and haven't had any issues. :)

Self-built -- Always current MC version with AJA KONA 1 card OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, System: X99 Motherboard, Core i7-6850K, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 16 2010 7:36 PM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,515

[oops, double post]

Self-built -- Always current MC version with AJA KONA 1 card OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, System: X99 Motherboard, Core i7-6850K, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 17 2010 9:23 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,555

malefunktion:

Yeah, it is good if Windows is running as few processes as possible, but it's not the be all and end all. A well maintained, clean system can run extremely well regardless of the processes.

I'm running 40 processes and most of them are related to keyboard/mouse drivers, AVG, Zonealarm, RAID management drivers, MySQL server (for my web development), IIS (for serving my web development) etc...

Despite having stuff that others may consider "bloat" lurking around, they are all tools and services I need regularly, and my system is as spritely as it has ever been.

Of all the threads I've read here recently some of the postings in this one have astounded me! I don't mean to criticize anyone but it is truly fascinating how others set up there systems.

40 services! Wow! Some of those may be essential to what you do but you do not need them all running at the same time plus there is a lot of 'bloat' in there that is purely windows and very uneccessary (like Messenger, Themes and Windows Time etc etc.). You cannot need web development tools at the same time as editing on Avid. I am also truly amazed people are editing whilst online running AV software or none at all!!!

It is simple to set up 2 or more hardware profiles where at least 1 is completely off the net. You can assign both services and hardware to run or not under different profiles. At boot I have a choice of 'No Network' or 'Network'. For No Network I have 12 (15 when running Avid) services running and every bit of network hardware disabled. For Network I have 21 services running. The system really flies and is very very stable. I am not saying other's systems are not working well, I am sure they are, but you will notice a difference if you streamline services and hardware. Network cards and AV software continually works in the background hogging resources.

Secondly I just cannot believe anyone in this day and age would be connected to the net and not have some kind of AV defence. You do not need to visit malicious websites to be vulnerable. The cyber warfare raging over the net can catch your machine unawares: you can be an unwitting piggyback host without realising it.

I too use AVG, I don't know about other software, I am sure there is better but I have never been let down by it. Again although growing and tenacious it is relatively easy to completely disable it in an offline hardware profile. There are 2 services to disable and 6 Non-Plug and Play Drivers in Device Manager (you must show hidden Devices). I even have the tray icon disabled and accessible as a desktop icon for when I need it. Even when it is running I disable all automatic updates in it and manually update each time I connect to the net.

I have a lot of other stuff tweaked as well such as disabling DEP, Group Policy configs, disablling all startups in Msconfig (except MMERefresh for the Digi 002) etc. etc.

I know not everyone could be bothered with having to reboot to get on the net but I just don't want to be online while editing (Avid works quite well when connected although, just not as good).

MC with Symphony option, 2020.9, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 17 2010 9:47 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

And I, on the other hand, never touch my OS, have never seen any reason to do it, I think that the clone of Vista that I am using currently is the origin OEM install from 2006 with all the WU made before installing all my editing apps, I never touch it, it just works.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Nov 17 2010 9:51 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,555

mjolnarn:

And I, on the other hand, never touch my OS, have never seen any reason to do it, I think that the clone of Vista that I am using currently is the origin OEM install from 2006 with all the WU made before installing all my editing apps, I never touch it, it just works.

If it works that is a wise thing to do I would agree. But if you are really familiar with the inner workings of Windows you can squeeze a LOT of extra performance AND security enhancement.

But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is not sure of what they are doing, you can seriously upset a working system that way.

MC with Symphony option, 2020.9, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 17 2010 10:09 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Mercer:

mjolnarn:

If it works that is a wise thing to do I would agree. But if you are really familiar with the inner workings of Windows you can squeeze a LOT of extra performance AND security enhancement.

But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is not sure of what they are doing, you can seriously upset a working system that way.

You can spend whole days of finetuning systems if you like to, I am not so unfamiliar with those procedures, used to do it in earlier days, with nowadays systems, there are really no need to do it, the time you might poosibly win in faster rendering speeds will get lost in tuning your systems, grey boring MS standard works for me and gives me time for both rendering and coffee brakes

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Nov 17 2010 10:19 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,555

mjolnarn:
    You can spend whole days of finetuning systems if you like to, I am not so unfamiliar with those procedures, used to do it in earlier days, with nowadays systems, there are really no need to do it, the time you might poosibly win in faster rendering speeds will get lost in tuning your systems, grey boring MS standard works for me and gives me time for both rendering and coffee brakes

I'm not sure what the point is you're making. I agree with you that if it works well you can leave well alone but I have only had to tweak my system once, I don't spend additional time doing this and the benefits have been extremely worth it for me. You have a different philosophy I already understand that.

When you are working at the extreme in a 32 bit programme like Avid with HD at full rez and plugin like Boris etc etc. there are still benefits to squeeze and hone your setup on even the fastest systems and especially on Vista. Your mileage varies though and I appreciate that.

• Wed, Nov 17 2010 11:19 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Mercer:

mjolnarn:

I'm not sure what the point is you're making.

The point is that there are only one certified finetuning thing that is Avid certified and that tuning systems for yourself very often leads to problems, those probs doesn´t need to show up right now but after a patch or application update you might get mysterical probs not able to explain, might take some time to find out what causes them.

If you want to use a modified OS that is Ok with me but I would never recommend users to be editing on modified OS, especially if their income is depending on a system that lways are working 100 % with customers waiting on the other side of the door.

Mercer:

When you are working at the extreme in a 32 bit programme like Avid with HD at full rez and plugin like Boris etc etc. there are still benefits to squeeze

Haven´t seen that, at least not with the later versions of Boris, a nice Cpu multicore usage at about 80 % when rendering certain filters, some filters however are still not able to use multicore usage depending on other things that I not am allowed to tell, the reasons to it is however not hardware or OS related

Tomas 

• Wed, Nov 17 2010 11:26 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,555

mjolnarn:
    The point is that there are only one certified finetuning thing that is Avid certified and that tuning systems for yourself very often leads to problems, those probs doesn´t need to show up right now but after a patch or application update you might get mysterical probs not able to explain, might take some time to find out what causes them.

There is nothing I do that conflicts with Avid certification and I always run EdPrep as a final measure. After many years of building and configuring broadcast Avid Post in network environements I have built up a working method and tools that work for me, it is part of my job.

I don't know why you keep on when I have agreed with your other scenario but I'll stand by everything I've said as I know it works for me with demonstrable results. I have said you can improve on a system not that it will never work well if you don't and I absolutely agree it is best not to mess if are not sure of what you are doing.

Beyond that we're going round in circles so I'll leave it there. Peace and respectSmile

• Wed, Nov 17 2010 11:40 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Mercer:

Beyond that we're going round in circles so I'll leave it there. Peace and respectSmile

Peace and respect and grey and boring Avid and MS standard for me Smile

Tomas 

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 1:45 PM In reply to

I would like to revisit the topic of this thread.

I've done some test with AVG free 2011 and while previous versions did not drastically affect performance it seems this time AVG made the program more heavy then desired.

How are other users experiences with MSE? I'm especially interested in those using it in combination with Unity or ISIS.

If anybody at Avid is listening... Is there a chance that MSE will be certified at some point?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 3:11 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,737
    • Points 67,310

Don't know if this helps but for web connected Avid workstations Avast is much lighter on the system and it catches more party crashers than AVG; as for Unity we keep it off the web and use a separate machine for surfing the net and checking against virus external drives that we then use to move stuff to the Avids on Unity.

Symphony 20.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 3:28 PM In reply to

We use Sophos enterprise for our corporate AV etc protection. Really good. Mac and PC centralised control of protection level and reporting. It also deals with adware and suspicious behaviour. You can authorise any flagged applications as allowed.

But I use MS essentials at hoem and really like it's integration with windows.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 3 of 4 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller