Latest post Fri, Apr 9 2010 8:15 PM by Birck66. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 30 2009 10:53 AM

• rmitov
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 14 2007
    • Posts 8
    • Points 110

Confused [*-)] Arriflex D21 workflow

Hi All,

Can anybody tell me please where to find information about the way to work with RAW files from D21 camera with AVID Media Composer. On my client I have to recommend a proper way to do that, but I am not sure if AVID support RAW files. Thank you in addvance!

• Wed, Sep 30 2009 9:46 PM In reply to

Re: Arriflex D21 workflow

Hi rmitov,

Wish I could be of more help, but I have no idea what medium the D21 will record on to, and with what type of metadata. The RAW files, you could probably get them in, somehow, but there would be some form of LUT applied to get the footage into 601 or 709 color space to work with in Avid. And I'm willing to bet that the DP and director will want to have some one-light-type color correction applied in order to get a proper impression of the source material.

Hope others will chime in with more details.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 1 2009 1:21 AM In reply to

Unfortunatelly neither Media Composer nor MetaFuze support D21 RAW files at this time. If you can debayer the files using a third party solution and render the files in a file format Media Composer can read then could do this. Timecode would be an issue as well.

It's an interesting subject, I would like to find out more about it.

Igor Ridanovic

www.HDhead.com

Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Oct 2 2009 7:31 PM In reply to

• clearhead
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 26
    • Points 390

There is a quck time plugin from glue tools which can read ARI raw files natively, it might be possible to transcode to DNXHD wrapped quick time using that but it might be difficult and time consuming.

As far as I know ARI raw has a data rate of about 300MB per second, so working with thze RAW files is not a lightweight challenge. I think the normal method would be to record the RAW signal on a suitable disk recorder and then transfer this off to HDCam SR 444 and make a lower res editing work tape at the same time.

Regards

Trevor Holland
    cut and post TV

• Sun, Oct 18 2009 12:36 AM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,415
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Employee
      Moderator: Film
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Believe it or not... MetaFuze does more than RED!!!!  Wink

Other camera file based formats are being considered and we are working with Arri and other companies to get their formats supported via Metafuze. Stay tuned.

Michael

24p.com

• Fri, Apr 9 2010 8:15 PM In reply to

• Birck66
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 21 2007
    • Posts 17
    • Points 205

And YES... Metafuze 2.1 does support ARRIRAW 12-bit data, native support of the ARRI D21 and 1920 x 816 file format support. One question, does it take the same amount of time to transcode ARRI files as RED files? 

:)

Thanks.

HP Z2 G4 Win10 (1809) Avid Artist | DNxIO 32gig RAM Quadro P1000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller