Latest post Wed, Jul 15 2009 7:36 PM by BLKDOG. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 9 2009 7:22 PM

Relinking problems with AMA feature in MC 3.5

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on here, but i've been searching and haven't found an answer yet. I've been loading all my EX-1 footage using the "link to AMA feature" and then transcoding the footage onto my unity partitions at 15:1s to save hard drive space. When i try and relink to the external HD that the original EX-1 folders are on, it just doesn't work. I've tried all the different relink options and none of them have yielded any results. Is there something i may be doing wrong, or a step i'm missing?

Any help would be great!!

Thanks!

Bryan

• Thu, Jul 9 2009 8:03 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,436
    • Points 30,240
    • ! Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS & NEXIS EDGE
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: Relinking problems with AMA feature in MC 3.5

Are the EX cards currently indexed by AMA? If not its simply a matter of using the Link to AMA command again on the Virtual EX folders which will reindex the cards adding them to the media database so they can be linked to.

In the relink command All Drives must selected. AMA volumes act different from media drives. If a drive is selected in this dialog, the Media Composer will only look for an Avid MediaFiles folder on that drive.

With AMA the Media Composer is using the UMID – Unique Material Identifier as the source for the clips. Each clip has an unique source so it doesn’t matter where the media is moved to, it will relink.

If you haven’t yet, take a look at the Guide on AMA on the XDCAM landing page: http://www.avid.com/xdcam/

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Thu, Jul 9 2009 8:16 PM In reply to

Ok cool, i will try that method and let you know if it fixed my problem. Will this also work when i decompose the sequence for the online?

Thanks again bob!

Bryan

• Thu, Jul 9 2009 8:22 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,436
    • Points 30,240
    • ! Avid Employee

It will work with a decompose but see no reason to decompose file based media. Decomposing a sequence is for a tape based project when only the media used in the sequence is batch digitized.

When the AMA folders are reindexed and the clips relinked, the entire source clips will link. At this point the high res media can be consolidated to local storage.

• Thu, Jul 9 2009 8:25 PM In reply to

Well, we decompose for the upres because the show is mixed format dvcprohd and ex-1 footage, mainly dvcprohd, we've only been using the ex-1 as a third camera in necessary scenes, But from what you're telling me about the relink it shouldn't be a problem hopefully

Thanks!

• Thu, Jul 9 2009 8:27 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,436
    • Points 30,240
    • ! Avid Employee

Only decompose Captured Clips and there won't be an issue at all.

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 7:32 PM In reply to

Bob's on a well-deserved vacation, but I don't want to start a new thread and perhaps one of the other tech wizards has got an answer for this one:

I upgraded to the new MC 3.5.4 yesterday.  I received the email alert and thought that it ought to address some of the

bugs related to AMA in the new version.  Well, perhaps I've encountered a new one.

I've got an XDCAM project going, with some AMA linked clips.  They've been working fine, been able to cut with

them and other, consolidated XDCAM clips.  But now, some of the AMA clips are showing up OFFLINE in the timeline.

I've tried relinking, and I even brought in the clips all over again via the AMA link.  So here's the puzzle:

THE CLIPS SHOW UP IN THE SOURCE WINDOW - they're ONLINE, they're LINKED, they play - but when recut them

into the TIMELINE, (to replace the OFFLINE version of the same clip) they're OFFLINE.  What gives?  ONLINE in the

SOURCE side, OFFLINE in the TIMELINE?  Any help will be appreciated.

Otherwise, by the way, the newupdate seems pretty awesome.  Already noticed a performance boost in speed.  Pretty great.

- Thanks,

AP

How hard is that?

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 7:36 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,739
    • Points 227,800
    • ! Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

There is another thread ongoing about this. It appears that 3.5.4 has a problem with AMA media on a track other than V1. We are aware of it and are addressing the problem.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller