Latest post Mon, Mar 10 2014 11:35 PM by Marty. 160 replies.
Page 8 of 11 (161 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 5 2012 12:11 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

Re: Please fix slow waveform redraw !!!!!!!!

FunkyDragon:

Timeline settings - draw waveforms In-Out.  mark around your sync point (hopefully a clapper, or corresponding timecode) and there are the section of waveforms you need,  they draw really quickly. 

Try that and see if it helps your workflow.

That's pretty clunky, Funky...

Plus the minute you forget to do this the whole Avid is likely to lock up while the waveform redraws and no amount of hitting CTRL + . will stop it...

This needs fixing about 3 version ago. If you don't work on long multicam timelines you don't know the pain. It is especially slow on long GOP media like MPEG 2 and H264.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 8:08 PM In reply to

• Ken Lent
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 18 2007
    • California
    • Posts 129
    • Points 1,375

You can save half your redraw time by selecting Timeline-Hamburger-Menu-->Audio-Data-->Allow-Per-Track-Settings, and then only displaying waveforms on the left channels.  This has the added benefit that you will actually be able to read the clip text on the right channel timeline clips, and if you put markers in the right channel, you will see those markers, too.

But even half slow is still way too slow, so I will also be glad to see a fix that gets the waveforms drawn more quickly!

Core i7 930 PC 2.8GHz / 18GB RAM / Win10 Pro 64bit / nVidia Quadro K2200 (driver 411.95) / MC 2018.12.9 (Symphony/PF/SS) / BCC AVX 10.0.2 / NewBlue Titler... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 6 2012 10:23 AM In reply to

Mondo:

That's pretty clunky, Funky...

Plus the minute you forget to do this the whole Avid is likely to lock up while the waveform redraws and no amount of hitting CTRL + . will stop it...

This needs fixing about 3 version ago. If you don't work on long multicam timelines you don't know the pain. It is especially slow on long GOP media like MPEG 2 and H264.

Nice rhyme, but how is that clunky? It's a one-time user setting.  I use it ALL the time. 

And now that you can enable waveforms on individual tracks, that makes it much more convenient.  I find that waveforms on the ENTIRE sequence ALL THE TIME to be clunky, on ALL applications.  I want to see just the section I'm looking at and not just a black bar across all my audio tracks.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Fri, Jul 6 2012 11:01 AM In reply to

• halo_bone
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 25 2009
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,735

Seeing what you are about to edit, right where you want to edit it, at a glance (waveforms) without having to turn on and off individual tracks just because the redraw processing is a decade old isn't clunky.

If you have your keyframing on it's actually not solid black, it puts the waveform draw more 'in the background' but still visible.  Though, it's still not nearly as visually clean as it should be (see any other editing application or sound editing application).

Anyway, if it redrew properly (i.e. not a problem to instantly process (or on import), and doesn't slow the system at all when doing something like zooming, and only happens one time ever remembering the draw) and it's appearance was cleaner, you wouldn't need a button taking up space on every track just to turn waveform on and off, which performance issues is probably why that was added.

To each his own I guess, but waveform doesn't get in the way at all in other apps in my opinion; it's a modern tool that is crucial to my ability to edit as efficiently as possible.  Just lacking in this program, in more than 1 way.

desky: Win10 (2x)8cXeons 72GB mc8.4.5 // lappy: Win10 i7 16GB mc8.4.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 6 2012 11:40 AM In reply to

this highlights how utterly broken the avid product feature request protocol is. This feature has been requested for 17 years. It resurfaces then dies then comes back to life.

slow waveform redraw is the most annoying thing about avid. Much worse than anything else. why after 17 years has it not been fixed, really avid we deserve the truth, just what is going on here?

• Fri, Jul 6 2012 1:09 PM In reply to

• halo_bone
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,735

Couldn't agree more.  The feature request forum is a terrible joke & seriously one of the bigger reasons I've drifted my edit bays away from MC.  You can't boast "we're listening" and then have a feature request system for your customers on a user-to-user forum that you aren't even responsive to.

Marianna can't do everything (unfortunately). Cool

desky: Win10 (2x)8cXeons 72GB mc8.4.5 // lappy: Win10 i7 16GB mc8.4.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 6 2012 2:16 PM In reply to

Thanks mate.

to be fair. i asked for 64 bit on this forum and some time later it happened. 

for me, its got to be avid. but i do wish they would fix the slow waveform redraw.

• Fri, Jul 6 2012 2:40 PM In reply to

please Marianna could you just keep on task, whoever can fix this, till its done?

just go see them everyday.

that would, for me at least, be plenty.

• Fri, Jul 6 2012 4:01 PM In reply to

halo_bone:

Couldn't agree more.  The feature request forum is a terrible joke & seriously one of the bigger reasons I've drifted my edit bays away from MC.  You can't boast "we're listening" and then have a feature request system for your customers on a user-to-user forum that you aren't even responsive to.

I disagree.  in the last 4 years across 3 major revisions of software they've delivered MANY user requested features.

Only some of which include:

Software only MC

Lower the cost

Better R3D workflows

quicker adoption for newer codecs and formats (AVC Intra, R3D, ProRez, XDCamEX)

Stereoscopic 3D Editing

HD RGB 444 1:1 support

the use of control surfaces for color correction

Cheaper I/O

lower the cost

Allowance of using ProTools hardware

5.1/7.1 Surround mixing in app

64 bit

lower the cost

Software Only Symphony

HD RGB 4:4:4 DNxHD

Fix the Smart Tool

make simple training videos

better integration with Quicktime

Better integration with 3rd party software

better integration with 3rd party hardware...

So yes. there are some long-standing feature requests that are still outstanding, but I bet if it were easy, it would have already been done.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Mon, Jul 9 2012 7:12 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

FunkyDragon:

I disagree.  in the last 4 years across 3 major revisions of software they've delivered MANY user requested features.

Software only MC

Lower the cost

Better R3D workflows

Stereoscopic 3D Editing

Cheaper I/O

lower the cost

64 bit

lower the cost

Software Only Symphony

Fix the Smart Tool

So yes. there are some long-standing feature requests that are still outstanding, but I bet if it were easy, it would have already been done.

Let's just encourage the engineers to get it fixed so it writes once and writes fast - it may not be a problem for you and that's fine but it's obviously an issue for a lot of very experienced Avid editors who feel the end result is substandard. Especially when you compare it to the many fine points you've raised above.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Mon, Jul 9 2012 8:11 AM In reply to

• Bill
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 2 2011
    • Posts 65
    • Points 1,010

FunkyDragon:

halo_bone:

Software only MC

Lower the cost

Better R3D workflows

Stereoscopic 3D Editing

Cheaper I/O

lower the cost

64 bit

lower the cost

Software Only Symphony

Fix the Smart Tool

Sure.

Just not sure if these were addressed due to user requests.

Let us stop here and don't start theorizing what would happen if these features were not implemented.

Pls don't try to make me feel guilty because i ask to fix a - how many years old? - problem.

My main problem is that there is no communication from Avid. I would like to hear that "the issue will be fixed by <DATE>".

Also, it is becoming a 'standard' to release regular software upgrades. Usually bug/security fixes.

I would love if Avid could implement this.

Cheers,

Bill

MC 8.4, HP Z800 - X5675@3.07 GHz, RAM: 48GB, Quadro FX 3800, Dual Apple Cine HD 30" displays, 120 GB SSD system drive, RAID: 8TB 7200 RPM, Win 7/64... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 9 2012 8:50 AM In reply to

• halo_bone
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,735

Sure.

Let us stop here and don't start theorizing what would happen if these features were not implemented.

Pls don't try to make me feel guilty because i ask to fix a - how many years old? - problem.

My main problem is that there is no communication from Avid. I would like to hear that "the issue will be fixed by <DATE>".

Also, it is becoming a 'standard' to release regular software upgrades. Usually bug/security fixes.

Cheers,

Bill

Exactly.  Practically none of that stuff actually addresses day to day bugs and features requests here.  A lot of them are poor & after-thought integrations, too.

Communication and more practical fixes in a FAR more timely manner please :).

Fix the system first.

• Mon, Jul 9 2012 1:23 PM In reply to

Bill:

Sure.

Cheers,

Bill

Oh, I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty.  I'm just saying that a point was made that the feature request forum was useless, and I disagree with that piont, as evidenced by the response that many of the updates from 3.0 and Up were user feedback generated.

Secondly, they CANNOT announce a date on fixes and updates, as this conflicts with regulations set for publicly traded companies. Sarbanes-Oxley.  Also, if development slips from that published date then this "promised" date becomes a broken promise and affects the relationship between the end-user and the developer. 

That can *effect acceptance deals based on specific features and fixes, which then affects the bottom line of the company.  So, if they are working on it, Marianna may be able to tell you that, but what she cannot say is when it will be fixed or in what specific release it will be.

*EDIT** Avid Also releases regular updates.  they may not be very frequent, but they do it. (usually every 3 months or so) they go through MANY rounds of testing because they need to work with ISIS, Unity, Interplay, AirSpeed, ProTools, and other Avid softwares... not to mention 3rd party applications and now 3rd Party I/O.  they need to do this for Media Composer, Symphony and NewsCutter.  AND they have to do it on 2 OS branches and make sure that farture parity is up to date for both platforms.

They even update earlier revisions of software, even back to the 4.0.x branch. 

so saying that they don't do it is not only unfair, it's just not true.

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Wed, Jul 11 2012 11:03 PM In reply to

• stevecohen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 3 2006
    • Venice, California
    • Posts 500
    • Points 5,535

Getting back to the Waveform redraw issue --

Here's a suggestion for something that might be a lot easier than revamping the whole waveform architecture but which would still help a lot.

I just opened a 2 hour DNX 220 clip with 10 audio tracks. Waveforms are turned on. BIG MISTAKE.

I've been waiting for about 10 minutes so far and about half of 1 audio track has drawn on the screen. It will probably take more than an hour before I can see my whole timeline.

But that's not the problem. The problem is that I can't interrupt the waveform redraw. So I can't use the Media Composer until the whole timeline and all 10 tracks have finished. Command-period does nothing (sometimes that works, but not now). Hitting waveforms on/off from the keyboard does nothing (sometimes that works, too). The machine has not crashed. It is simply drawing waveforms.

Making waveform redraw **consistently interruptable ** would be a big win.

Steve

• Wed, Jul 11 2012 11:18 PM In reply to

stevecohen:
    Making waveform redraw **consistently interruptable ** would be a big win.

I completely agree, but in the meantime, with a timeline that long and that many audio tracks, I would suggest using "show marked waveforms" in your timeline settings to restrict the TL real estate that waveforms are plotted in. Should be much faster getting back to editing.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 8 of 11 (161 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller