Latest post Tue, Jun 9 2009 3:42 PM by Haze. 42 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 6 2009 2:56 PM

Why Does MC Keep Old Precomputes After Exiting?

I can understand keeping previous precomputes during an editing session for Undo. But upon exiting, why doesn't MC cleanup old effects precomputes?

I know the Media Tool will show some imported graphics as precomputes, and you don't want these to be deleted. But the system clearly knows which old precomputes are related to effects. Certainly these could be safely removed upon exiting?

Or am I missing something here? ... wouldn't be the first time, LOL. 

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sat, Jun 6 2009 3:00 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

Re: Why Does MC Keep Old Precomputes After Exiting?

This would be a great feature - especially in audiosuite where you have to render and tweak, render and tweak . .

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Sat, Jun 6 2009 3:04 PM In reply to

You can clean renders in out and then render new effects.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(442.92)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2020.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Sat, Jun 6 2009 3:13 PM In reply to

sverkalo:

You can clean renders in out and then render new effects.

Do you mean the "Clip -> Clear Renders..." function? Wouldn't this make it even worse having to render everything again and creating new (duplicated) precomputes?

When exiting bigger projects I have seen a desciption field saying "Cleaning Database". So I thought MC would 'forget' and delete unneeded precomputes. Am I wrong? If so, this is definitely worth a feature request!

my $0.2, g_f

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 6 2009 3:26 PM In reply to

I believe that old precomputes of effects that have since been rendered again just hang around.

I tested this by opening the Media Tool and listing precomputes. It showed eight precomputes for an effect. I tweaked the effect, re-rendered it, and low and behold, there were now nine precomputes for the effect. I exited MC and re-opened it, and the nine precomputes were still there.

Again, perhaps I'm missing something, or my methodology for checking how old precomputes are handled is flawed?

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sat, Jun 6 2009 3:33 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,777
    • Points 62,185

You can use the 'select unreferenced media' using the media tool - just make note that it only selects unreferenced based on open bins. There's also a select unrendered titles...

Not sure if this will help and sometimes it does remove things I was hoping to keep...

MC 2020.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sat, Jun 6 2009 3:55 PM In reply to

Thanks. I do know how to delete them. What I don't know is why are they there.

What purpose could they possibly serve once I've closed a project and chosen to exit MC?

• Sat, Jun 6 2009 4:37 PM In reply to

Bobby:

You could put your sequence in it's own bin and then in "set bin display", uncheck everything except "show rendered effects". You could then delete those files and re-render your timeline. You would then only have those re-renders on the system.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jun 6 2009 6:47 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,777
    • Points 62,185

BobbyMurcerFan:

Thanks. I do know how to delete them. What I don't know is why are they there.

What purpose could they possibly serve once I've closed a project and chosen to exit MC?

I don't understand your question then. How is MC supposed to know you don't want the precomputes - they're rendered effects, etc. that you will most likely want the next time you view a timeline. The best MC can do is to determine which precomputes are no longer referenced by any clip across all projects - rather than making this automatic (which is dangerous, I suppose) they provide you with the tools to manage this yourself (admittedly, the tools could be better).

MC 2020.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sat, Jun 6 2009 7:00 PM In reply to

Steve, I believe he is talking about the superceded pre-computes of rendered effects that are left over each time you tweak a particular effect, audio or video, and re-render it. All of those superceded renders stay on the system until you run the media tool and delete them, along with master clips and media files.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jun 6 2009 7:54 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,777
    • Points 62,185

I see. Avid's documentation explains that they leave these so that you can undo your changes and revert to the previous rendereed effect. As I mentioned, they could automatically remove these once you exit MC (since clearly they are no longer referenced) but perhaps Avid felt that this would be too dangerous?

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sat, Jun 6 2009 8:06 PM In reply to

Given 32 levels of undo, I believe you're right. And now with drive space limitations becoming less and less of an issue as time goes on, it doesn't seem to be a big problem for most people, so perhaps that's why Avid leaves it alone. It's the approach of "it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jun 6 2009 8:15 PM In reply to

"... than to need it and not have it ..."

But, as mentioned above, once the session has ended by exiting MC, they are no longer part of an Undo List.  They are just taking up space.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sat, Jun 6 2009 8:21 PM In reply to

Randall L Rike:

But, as mentioned above, once the session has ended by exiting MC, they are no longer part of an Undo List.  They are just taking up space.

Agreed, so an option "delete superceded renders?" on exit would be in order. The user decides.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jun 6 2009 8:42 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

Larry Rubin:

Agreed, so an option "delete superceded renders?" on exit would be in order. The user decides.

Exactly. I hope someone from Avid sees this, since it's not on the feature request forum.

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller