Latest post Mon, Jun 8 2009 11:40 PM by FunkyDragon. 42 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 5 2009 11:37 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,777
    • Points 62,185

Re: Blacklisted Effects

Stick out tongue

MC 2020.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Fri, Jun 5 2009 11:39 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,460
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

We normally use a 4-6 second voice over before each 'cut' to let the audience know what's coming. As for the sound effect, I find a gunshot, clap or finger snap works well.

Consider the render time before making heavy use of cuts.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Fri, Jun 5 2009 11:49 AM In reply to

• editzz01
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 23 2005
    • Montreal
    • Posts 770
    • Points 9,225

Now, you mentionned no dips to black, can I flash to white ???

Also, for treatment, since we are going retro, can I use smear ? How about sparkles on logos ??? What about large drop shadows and page turns ???? I am so confused.....thankfully I can still use 60 frame dissolves.

Thanks for the tips on cuts....I hadn't even thought of using them as I wasn't sure how....I did try them, but found that the color on the two clips didn't match....would a flip from one to the other hide this color match ?

Work system Symphony Nitris classic 3.5.1 Vista business 64 12GB ram 10 TB Avid media drive Home system Media Coposer 3.5.1 Dual 3.2 Xeon 2.0MB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 5 2009 12:40 PM In reply to

Outlawing dissolves is probably next - think about it as similar to what would happen if the powers that be declared that sugar and caffeine are now controlled substances. Now THERE'S a scary thought!

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jun 5 2009 1:29 PM In reply to

ianeditz:
    Park up between 2 segments on your timeline and then from the effects pallette drag and drop any transitional effect to the junction and then change the duration to 0 frames and voila you have a cut. If you set the duration to 1 frame you can get a cut reminiscent of a sticky tape steenbeck join.

I tried this, and I couldn't get it to work AT ALL.  I wound up just putting the two clips together one right after the other without any effects.  It looks like crap, but my producer (he's really old; like 26 or 28 or something) thought it looked "retro enough, with a nice organic feel to it" so we left it. 

Anyway, I CAN'T BELIEVE that Avid, which is supposed to be the WORLD'S GREATEST EDITOR doesn't have the cut effect included with it.  Maybe it's one of those plug ins that you have to pay extra for, but this just shows that Avid IS NOT LISTENING to the creative talent in the independent, educational, broadcast or post markets, and is obviously NOT INTERESTED in keeping these markets, and only cares about the CCTV market.  If this is NEW THINKING, I am not impressed, and I'm giving serious SERIOUS thought to abandoning Avid forever and editing with whatever nonlinear editing software came with my cell phone.

Unless they promise to keep the dongle.  Then I'll stay.

adios,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Jun 5 2009 3:42 PM In reply to

• Paris MkVI
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Norfolk, VA USA
    • Posts 415
    • Points 5,010

I will fall back on inserting random shots of car chases and explosions instead of using any of these transitions.

Car chases and explosions make all videos better, anyway.

MCA 2.8.3 on Dell 490 • 4GB Ram • Quadro FX3500 Driver 6.14.10.9185 • Avid rs146 x 2 striped as one • 2 internal 500 GB SATA drives. Edit monitor: Sony... [view my complete system specs]

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. (Proverbs 15:1 NIV)

• Fri, Jun 5 2009 3:43 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 37,770

camoscato:
    I looked through the whole effect palette and I couldn't find any "cuts" anywhere.

Sorry Carl, you have to use BCC for that, at least it comes free with MC. It is buried in their transitions folder. I never understood why Avid wouldn't include this natively so we didn't have to render them all. Maybe if the broadcasters asked for it....

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Fri, Jun 5 2009 4:30 PM In reply to

Well, the true pros use Quicktime Pro to cut, you nO0bs! That's why it's called PRO!!! GET IT? And its from APPLE!!! They are the creative leader since 1968! Simply drop QT-files into Quicktime (that's why they are called QUICKTIME-MOVS!!! Not AVID-MOVS), one after another, in the order you want to cut it like a pro, and there you go! No "add cut" needed, no plugz and so on. OMG, so easy and you don't get it...

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 5 2009 5:16 PM In reply to

• ianeditz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 15 2009
    • Posts 48
    • Points 745

To help my cuts I use some pre-recorded profanities that I keep in a bin. I drop the level down to -OO though so that they are effectively silent.

No one can hear them but I know they are there, wo betide the dubbing mixer who strips them off and dilutes my sequences.

Ian

• Fri, Jun 5 2009 6:19 PM In reply to

What I really wanted to say for a long time now: HAVE A NICE WEEKEND, DEAR COLLEAGUES! Cool 

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 5 2009 6:43 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

camoscato:
    I'm giving serious SERIOUS thought to abandoning Avid forever

I tried the cut, got it to work, and I didn't like it at all! HOW DO I GET RID OF IT? When I remove the "cut" effect, it still looks the same! You woulld think they'd get it right in Final CUT Pro, but Nooooooo.

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Fri, Jun 5 2009 6:55 PM In reply to

• ianeditz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 15 2009
    • Posts 48
    • Points 745

Have you mapped the "remove cut" function to your keyboard?

If not perhaps this is where you are going wrong.

Ian

• Sat, Jun 6 2009 12:05 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

I use an edge wipe and shorten it down to zero frames for a cut.  That's better than the BCC approach, because you can make the edges soft!

And g-f, just try and do that with your crappy QUICKTIME-MOVs!!!  Apple just call it PRO because it's a good brand name!  Real professionals know that already!!!

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 6 2009 3:03 PM In reply to

if you export at a lower resolution from QT PRO (!!!) you get a softer 'look', too, smarty. Geeked

jwrl:
    Apple just call it PRO because it's a good brand name!

If it is 'just' a good brand-name: why doesn't Avid call its MC MC PRO? He?

• Sat, Jun 6 2009 3:40 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 37,770

general_failure:
    If it is 'just' a good brand-name: why doesn't Avid call its MC MC PRO? He?

Avid once had a professional product, Xpress Pro. There aren't enough professionals using Avid products to drive sales, seems they all settle for Avid's other lower end products like MC and DS.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller