Latest post Mon, Jun 8 2009 1:12 PM by mjolnarn. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 4 2009 10:17 PM

• Lowrider
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 135
    • Points 1,855

Best Practices for Up-Rezzing SD in HD Timeline

What are people finding to be the best workflow for uprezzing SD material in an HD timeline for export to tape and DVD?

Have been advised to:

Transcode SD material with consult command: setresizetype 9

Is this the best way and do you transcode before or after color correction?

MC5, Dell T3400, Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 / 2.66 GHz, 6GB RAM, nVidia Quadro FX570, Windows 7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 5 2009 5:10 PM In reply to

Re: Best Practices for Up-Rezzing SD in HD Timeline

I would use the "BCC UpRez". You'll find it in "BCC Distortion & Perspective". Launch the helpfile from the effect editor, there is a description on how to use the effect. If you have 4:3 SD footage you might need to use a "Pan and Scan" effect, too.

Regards, g_f

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 6 2009 3:12 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,777
    • Points 62,185

It seems that when you import your footage, you must set the 'do not resize' import option. MC will then generate HD material from your SD material but without first resizing the SD image. When you load this into your source monitor you'll see a smaller image surrounded by lots of black :-).

Cut this to your timeline and then apply the BCC Uprez filter as g_f suggested. The BCC Uprez filter lets to tell it the nature of the source material and even lets you stretch to fit. Next there's the quality setting which is where you can really play with just how much work the filter does to uprez your SD footage. Rendering times can be extreme but the results are very good.

After reading your post and g_f's response I decided to try this technique. I have a 480p shot imported with the 'do not resize' option in my bin. I placed it above a 1080p shot of the same material in the timeline. I applied the BCC Uprez to the 480p import and selected the Magic Sharp quality setting. The uprezing was pretty good. I can jump back a forth between the two tracks to see the difference (in full screen mode). Obviously the 1080p is better but the difference is not as great as I would have expected.

The next test for quality was to import the 480p without the 'do not resize' option with my project settings set to NTSC p (SD). This brings it in to MC in its native resolution. I then switch back to the 1920x1080p format setting and drop the 480p import onto a timeline track above the other two (in this mode, MC does dynamic scaling of the 480p shot to fill the 1080p frame). Switching back and forth between the 3 tracks you can see how soft the 480p native import is compared to the other two.

I encourage you to try this for yourself. Make sure you have the quality setting on source/timeline viewers set to green (max quality) so that you can better judge the differences.

Good luck,

Steve

MC 2020.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sat, Jun 6 2009 3:30 PM In reply to

Thanks Steve for insisting on this topic because I made a mistake (can happen, sometimes): I have simply opened a bin from a SD-project in a HD-project. This led to two bad results: the "BCC Uprez" was rather poor and I had to apply a reformat effect. With a SD-Quicktime imported as described in the effects helpfile everything looks pretty damn good!

This led me to my following question: nearly all SD-footage is archived on tapes. How would the perfect up-res workflow look like? Do I really have to capture into a SD-project, then render out QT files, then import into a HD-project? What if the footage is still online in a SD-project?

If someone could tell me more about it I'd be happy.

Regards, g_f

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 6 2009 3:38 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

I made a little tut for this Smile and about importing clips without having them auto upscaled, just export from your Sd timeline as a QT ref and reimport that qt ref back to your project with HD settings and " do not resize smaller images "

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, Jun 7 2009 1:11 PM In reply to

• itmatters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 23 2006
    • Posts 333
    • Points 4,000

I've tried uprez, but I was much happier with the results I got using Squeeze 5 on a recent project.

Check it out if you have it. There are now numerous filter settings including Sharpness, with a preview screen for feedback. Settings take some patience and experimentation, but will render in background which is nice.

thanks all for QTref tips, pursuit of best workflow and excellent website.

• Sun, Jun 7 2009 6:12 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

itmatters:

I've tried uprez, but I was much happier with the results I got using Squeeze 5 on a recent project.

Although Sorensen makes good filters, a sharpening of an already upscaled clip cannot compete with doing upscaling and sharpening of an entire clip from the source file, as you say, there are lots of sharpening filters, upscaling using subpixel fillers and sharpening at the same time is something else and gives you much better results.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, Jun 7 2009 6:36 PM In reply to

• itmatters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 333
    • Points 4,000

mj- I was using a QTref off the SD captured masterclip, (no Avid upscale) and then having Squeeze simultaneously do the upscale and sharpening, etc on it's way to a fast-importable,  16x9 cropped, DNxHD QT. I urge you to try it and compare.

• Sun, Jun 7 2009 7:09 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Could you explain your workflow, it seems that you are using it on single clips projects, I am using mine on multicam edits, how do you get the clips out of and back to Avid, workflow ?

Tomas 

• Sun, Jun 7 2009 8:13 PM In reply to

• itmatters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 333
    • Points 4,000

I am normally in HD 1080i, sometimes needing to add SD from tape and then cropped to fit 16x9.

I switch project type to 30i and capture. Then I export its masterclip as QTref. That gets imported into Squeeze, I use its preset 16x9 crop which can be positioned to taste and rendered into a QT with DNxHD using filters. Imports fast back into Avid and I believe compares favorably with bcc plugin, with less downtime for rendering thanks to multi-tasking.

Not following you on your multicam- maybe rendering bcc fx on isolated shots to HD is best for you.

otoh, you can make QTrefs across long gop edits, after a first doing videomixdown, if necessary.

• Sun, Jun 7 2009 8:33 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Ok, I´ll check your workflow, however I prefer to do it all within Avid to keep it all in better control and i don´t think that avid is rendering so much slower on this machine than Squeeze, also, longer and larger rendering times and files is usually the result of that something is being created in a good way.

Tomas 

• Mon, Jun 8 2009 12:58 PM In reply to

• itmatters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 333
    • Points 4,000

OK. Good luck- I understand that you may want to accomplish everything inside Avid.

I'm not saying Squeeze renders are any slower or faster, just that the results are quite good and it's fast perhaps because you can keep editing while it renders in the background. I think of Squeeze increasingly as a useful 3rd party plugin, conversion of tape-based captures to file-based media is working for me.

• Mon, Jun 8 2009 1:12 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Much of it also depends on what you are exporting to, if you export as SD, like a dvd, you would propably not gain anything with using the Boris Uprez filter, if you are outputting to bluray, there is a big difference I think.

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller