Latest post Fri, Jun 5 2009 7:55 PM by sweetmadness. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 2 2009 3:25 AM

• sweetmadness
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 2 2009
    • vancouver bc
    • Posts 46
    • Points 665

I didnt remove the previous version before I installed the new one, am i screwed?

I didnt remove the previous version before I installed the new one, am i screwed?  I just read uninstall the previous version prior to installing the updated version.  but i already installed the new version.  everything seemed to go okay so far, i have not tried to open it yet, as i am in the process of upgrading the dongle.

before i do anything else, should I uninstall the upgrade now and go back and try again, or is it too late?

I am running pc with 2 x dual 3.0 xenon processors.

HELP

media composer 3.0 ( upgrading today to 3.1.3.2 Windows XP Pro SP3 dell precision 470 work station 2 x dual Xeon 3.2 ghz processors 4 gb ram quadro fx... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 2 2009 3:32 AM In reply to

• mmullen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 13 2008
    • Haverhill, MA
    • Posts 574
    • Points 6,560

Re: I didnt remove the previous version before I installed the new one, am i screwed?

Sweet,

There are definitly some issues you can run into by not uninstalling the previous version but it is not a do or die type issue.

Go ahead and try running the software.  If you run into issues uninstall and reinstall. Simple as that.

-Matt M.

• Tue, Jun 2 2009 12:06 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,777
    • Points 62,185

Re: I didnt remove the previous version before I installed the new one, am i screwed?

I highly recommend that you uninstall and reinstall MC. If you don't you will always have a shadow of doubt as to the integrity of your system and each time something odd happens, you'll wonder whether or not it is because of the way you installed it.

MC 2020.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Jun 2 2009 12:22 PM In reply to

It depends what versioin you are upgrading from. The Readme can be rather unclear in this regard. FWIU, any version of MC 3.x [or according to some users 3.1.3] can be upgraded to 3.5.x w/o an uninstall.

And it's probably not a good idea to uninstall when you don't have to, because uninstalls in Windows are notoriously incomplete. Which means you can have an amalgamation of old and new floating around on your computer. Best to let the installer do its thing, IMHO.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Tue, Jun 2 2009 12:26 PM In reply to

At versions previous than 3.1.3 MC promt me to uninstall the older version but not the 3.1.3.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(442.92)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2020.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Tue, Jun 2 2009 12:44 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,777
    • Points 62,185

BobbyMurcerFan:

It depends what versioin you are upgrading from. The Readme can be rather unclear in this regard. FWIU, any version of MC 3.x [or according to some users 3.1.3] can be upgraded to 3.5.x w/o an uninstall.

And it's probably not a good idea to uninstall when you don't have to, because uninstalls in Windows are notoriously incomplete. Which means you can have an amalgamation of old and new floating around on your computer. Best to let the installer do its thing, IMHO.

I would follow the readme file. There are also a couple of threads pinned to this forum that are pretty clear about the 3.5.x installation procedure.

As for Windows uninstall - you're correct, it does not always do a proper cleanup, however, if that would be the case with MC then you can be pretty sure that installing on top of an existing installation will also leave garbage behind.

MC 2020.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Jun 2 2009 5:51 PM In reply to

• sweetmadness
    • Not Ranked
    • vancouver bc
    • Posts 46
    • Points 665

thanks for the advice, i will do so

media composer 3.0 ( upgrading today to 3.1.3.2 Windows XP Pro SP3 dell precision 470 work station 2 x dual Xeon 3.2 ghz processors 4 gb ram quadro fx... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 5 2009 12:09 PM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,460
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

I've found it quite unpredictable in the past. Sometimes it will be totally fine (at least in every way that I can tell) to install over the top. Other times it's been completely messed up. It really is a better idea to uninstall first (always do the small programs before Media Composer, it's quicker that way).

If it's not working right for you, you can just install the Franken-version you have created and start again.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Fri, Jun 5 2009 7:53 PM In reply to

• sweetmadness
    • Not Ranked
    • vancouver bc
    • Posts 46
    • Points 665

Okay,

All of these questions are followed by print screens, which show my system prior to uninstalling the software, and these are steps reccomended in the read me file, for after the uninstall and prior to the reinstall. 

(1st print screen)

Just to be sure i need to do this.

I installed the upgrade of MC 3.0 ovetop of the older version of MC 2.7.1

I then uninstalled the new version and reinstalled it without doing or changing anything.

Now that i have read the "read me" file, it says i should

uninstall the current version.  then go to my registry and delete the following folder

hklm/software/avid technology/media composer

hklm/software/avid technology/avx plug-ins

not exaclty clear on how to do this, as i did go into reg edit, and did not see an entry for "hklm"  I did go into hkey-local-machine/software/avid/avid plug-ins.   and then found the files in the sceen shot.

am i supposed to delete all of these?  I of course have not yet unistalled the software, so it will look different when i do this, but i wanted to see if i could find this before i did that.

secondly (2nd print screen)

the folder documents and settings/all users/application data/avid/media composer

there are currently two folders there, both are empty, and i have not uninstalled the current version.  after I uninstall, would i delete these folders entirely or just the contents if there are any contents?

thirdly (3rd print screen)

program files/avid/media composor

do i then take this folder after I uninstall, and empty it content in it entirety.  keep in mind what you are seeing in all of these print screens is prior to uninstalling the sofware.

• Fri, Jun 5 2009 7:55 PM In reply to

• sweetmadness
    • Not Ranked
    • vancouver bc
    • Posts 46
    • Points 665

here is print screen 1, 3 was loaded with the previous comment, and i will do print screen 2 next, as i cant seem to be able to do them all at once

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller