Latest post Tue, Feb 14 2017 2:07 AM by Jason524. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 19 2009 11:38 PM

• wmcole
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 589
    • Points 7,820

BUG: MC "Zoomed" Timeline Can Not Stop Playback

This bug appears to have been introduced in MC 3.1x releases as I did not notice it before then.  It has survived complete re-format of hard drives, re-installation of Win XP (SP2) and MC 3.1, - 3.1.3.  I (and hopefully Avid) would appreciate feedback to see if this bug is common, rare, or limited just to my system (xw8000, QuadroFX 1100, 4 GB RAM, U320 0.5 TB media storage, RAID 0).  It would also be interesting if someone could run this test on a 3.5 system to see if this phenomenon still exist there as well.

1. In the Timeline window quick menu, check the "Wrap Around" option.

2. Magnify the timeline ("zoom in") until the timeline wraps to at least a second line.

3. Start playback from any point in the timeline using either transport control buttons or keyboard shortcuts.

4. Attempt to stop playback before the playhead reaches the end of the timeline.

Step 4 will fail.

Repeat the above WITHOUT the wrap around option selected, magnifying the timeline until the entire lenght does not show in the timeline window. Again, step 4 will fail UNTIL the timeline scrolls to the point where the end of the sequence is visible in the timline window.

Further, all user I/O is locked out whether via mouse-clicks or keyboard equivalents until the timeline finishes playing.  If the timeline is long enough, this can force you to take more lunch breaks then you planned for or even a day off (waiting for playback to finish so you can once again start editing.)  This is a serious hit to productivity and needs to be addressed SOONER rather than LATER.

HP z840 dual 8-core; PCI slot 3, Creative SB X-Fi audio card; 32 GB Ram; 4 x 1 TB RAID 5 internal SATA Western Digital Caviar Green Media drives (appears... [view my complete system specs]

-----

wmc

• Wed, May 20 2009 2:23 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: BUG: MC "Zoomed" Timeline Can Not Stop Playback

Bill, what are you using for an I/O device? Mouse? Trackball? Tablet?

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, May 21 2009 10:43 PM In reply to

• wmcole
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 589
    • Points 7,820

Hi,

LogicKeyboard (PS2 connector), Wacom Intuos III (one USB connection), Mojo DNA (original).  When encountering the problem I am usually working from keyboard short-cut keys, but the Intuos mouse and pen also fail to stop playback.

HP z840 dual 8-core; PCI slot 3, Creative SB X-Fi audio card; 32 GB Ram; 4 x 1 TB RAID 5 internal SATA Western Digital Caviar Green Media drives (appears... [view my complete system specs]

-----

wmc

• Thu, May 21 2009 11:11 PM In reply to

Hi,

you might find the solution in this thread, although I have not tested toggling the "Zoom"-option and I had the problem also when I had no "wrapped around" timeline.

Regards, g_f

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 22 2009 2:24 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

That thread may say the same thing (Didn't look) but make sure you are not running the latest Wacom drivers. They cause behavior like this.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, May 22 2009 11:11 PM In reply to

BLKDOG:
    That thread may say the same thing (Didn't look)

...maybe you should have had a look! Stick out tongue Yes, it basically says "don't use the newest wacom drivers", but also I have tested several versions and and posted back which was the latest that worked for me.

Regards, g_f

Dell Precision m6400, Intel QX9300 2,5GHz Quadcore, nVidia QuadroFX 3700@1GB, 4GB RAM, M-Box2, MC 3.5.1 Software Only, ProTools LE 8cs2, WindowsXP 32bit... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 23 2009 11:49 AM In reply to

• wmcole
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 589
    • Points 7,820

Yep!  That did the trick (rolling back to 6.08-4a Intuos diver).  

The only reason I had installed the later one (AND did a complete HD format and system re-install /re-build) at about the time 3.1 shipped was due to Adobe "tech support" (term used VERY LOOSELY) trying to tell me that is what I needed to do to solve a problem with their buggy CS4 apps.  It didn't, of course.  The problem with their software was that they mis-state their system requirements for CS4 and since it was optimized for Vist 64, it has some difficulties with a number of XP systems.  But at least now MC 3.1.3 is behaving better...

Thanks.

-----

wmc

• Sat, May 23 2009 2:24 PM In reply to

wmcole:
    Yep!  That did the trick

Good to know it worked for you, too!

wmcole:
    Adobe "tech support" (term used VERY LOOSELY)

Yeah, you can have nice time struggling with them...

Regards, g_f

• Sat, May 23 2009 4:39 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,777
    • Points 62,185

I recently purchased an Intuos 4 tablet - unfortunately I'm stuck with the new drivers. To get around this, I unplug the tablet when doing most of my work in MC and only plug it in to do work that requires the tabet. A real pain.

MC 2020.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Thu, Jun 11 2009 12:16 PM In reply to

• numaspeed
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 11 2009
    • Posts 3
    • Points 30

There is one workaround for you. I used it before getting to this handy Thread. (I am working with an intuos3)

If using windows you can stop Avid from Playback by pressing the Windows Desktop Button on the

Taskbar.

After this you can see your normal Desktop.

Now pressing with right click onto the Avid Tab on the Tasbar is going to force Avid to stop.

Than do a left click onto the Avid Tab to let the Avid window appear again.

At some time you will have to do this procedure more than one time.

Sounds creepy, but it could be a way for you using your intuos4 until the next hopefully

working driver is going to be published.

• Fri, Jun 12 2009 4:23 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,777
    • Points 62,185

Yes - I've used this workaround to break the playback - that's what I'll do when I must use the tablet from within MC.

Cheers

MC 2020.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Jun 16 2009 7:28 PM In reply to

• numaspeed
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 11 2009
    • Posts 3
    • Points 30

I got an official answer from wacom support about this issue:

vielen Dank für Ihre E-Mail vom 12.06.2009.

Es tut mir leid, daß ich da keine spezielle Lösung habe. Ob ein älterer Treiber da einen Unterschied machen würde, kann ich nicht sagen. Die Ursache ist mit Sicherheit in einer zumindest ungewöhnlichen Mausabfrage in Avid zu suchen. Das Tablett macht ja für Avid nichts anderes als für andere Programme auch. Soweit ich weiss, sollte es kein Problem sein, wenn man zur Steuerung bei Abspielen zur normalen Maus statt zum Tablett greift. Man könnte natürlich auch den Dienst TabletServiceWacom anhalten, solange man damit arbeitet.

It does not seem that they concern about the bug because it is AVID related only and caused by a "weird" avid mouse request... (Wacom support: "..for sure..")

Next step: Somebody call the Avid support!!

• Tue, Jun 16 2009 10:33 PM In reply to

I will translate the message from Wacom since it is quite interesting and everybody should have the chance to read it:

"Thank you very much for your e-Mail from June 12th 2009.

I am sorry that I don't have a special solution for you. I can't tell you if an older driver would make any difference. The reason for this behaviour is definitely an unusual mouse implementation in Avid, to say the least. The tablet does nothing else to Avid as it does to other software applications. [The following sentence does not make sense, gramatically, even in German, g_f] As far as I know it should not be a problem to use a normal mouse to play back in Avid instead of using the tablet. Of course you could also stop the service "TabletServiceWacom", as long as you are working with it (it = playback)."

This e-Mail is unsatisfying, to say the least, dear Sir or Madam:

1. "I can't tell you if an older driver would make any difference."

But I can tell you that it works with older version of the Wacom driver. So something must have changed in their implementation of the tablat as a HID (Human Interface Device)!

2. "The reason for this behaviour is definitely an unusual mouse implementation in Avid"

pushing the responsibility away from yourself or your company is not the behaviour that satisfies customers! And Wacom is the tablet manufacturer, they should show a different attitude towards their (professional) customers who need their products to make a living!

and most important are the last two sentences:

3. "As far as I know it should not be a problem to use a normal mouse to play back in Avid instead of using the tablet. Of course you could also stop the service "TabletServiceWacom", as long as you are working with it"

This shows me that this support person really has no clue of what he or she is talking about. No, a normal mouse attached additionally to your tablet is no cure, since the Wacom driver and service are still running! And stopping a service everytime I want to play back a sequence when I work in a NLE is not a solution either! You know what my job is? Watching & hearing! That does include playback! As long as I work "with it" is all I do my whole work-day! I don't need a tablet for rendering or to look good but to work! I hate it, when people are trying to be smart but really don't care about my needs and are not able to imagine what my work is like. Even if it is Avid's implementation of mouses in MC which is the culprit (which I doubt, at the moment) this answer is just awful!

Please, Avid, sort that out for us. 

Regards, g_f

• Tue, Jun 16 2009 11:10 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

It's difficult for Avid to do anything about this as it is definitely a change in the driver from WACOM.

All versions of the Avid software that I've loaded with this driver displays the same behavior (Well, at least back to 3.0). Also, loading previous Wacom drivers fixes the problem.

So, there's not a lot we can really do here. I'm going to pow-wow with Marianna to see if our 3rd party liaisons have any contacts at Wacom but, beyond alerting them to the issue, it's really out of our hands.

• Tue, Jun 16 2009 11:16 PM In reply to

BLKDOG:
    . I'm going to pow-wow with Marianna to see if our 3rd party liaisons have any contacts at Wacom

Thanks a lot, that's what I meant when saying "Please help us". I know you can't solve that for us or force them to do something. But since they don't listen to us, maybe they will listen to Avid officials.

Thanks again and kind regards, g_f

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller