Latest post Thu, Apr 30 2009 6:15 PM by ATX Mike. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 22 2009 9:07 PM

• ATX Mike
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 22 2009
    • Posts 7
    • Points 120

Weird Transcode issue

I've got an avid problem that you might be able to help me with. I'm trying to transcode 720p/59.94 hd vid to  SD 30i NTSC dv25 411.  When I highlight the clip and select the resolution then hit transcode the progress bar flashes on the screen then disapears.  Nothing gets transcoded.  Any thoughts?

• Thu, Apr 23 2009 9:32 PM In reply to

• rhnantell
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 1 2006
    • Posts 15
    • Points 175

Re: Weird Transcode issue

I'm having the same problem, but in reverse (trying to transcode NTSC 30i 15:1 footage to 720p/59.94 DNxHD 145).  In my case, the progress bar doesn't even pop up.  I just hit transcode and then absolutley nothing happens, other then my transcode dialogue box disappearing. 

If my issues are treated differently, let me know and I'll start a new thread for my issue.  Seems for the moment though to be similar enough to be part of this discussion. 

• Thu, Apr 23 2009 9:47 PM In reply to

• ATX Mike
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 120

I found the issue.  Try this:

Go to your tools tab and open the console window.

At the bottom of the window there will be a dialog box.

In the box type this:

AllowCrossRateTranscode

This will allow you to transcode across frame rates.  

This is really stupid and not something most editors would know.  Give it a shot and let me know if it works.

Good luck,

Michael

• Thu, Apr 30 2009 3:16 PM In reply to

• memeboy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 10 2006
    • Toronto
    • Posts 29
    • Points 325

!!!

I've been looking for some sort of solution to transcoding across framerates - I'm going to have to try it out and see how it works out.  Right now I've been stuck with exporting QT-refs from one project and importing them into the target project - a labour that seems excessive in the 21st Century.

Thanks!

EDIT: Crap, just noticed I'm on the Symphony Nitris board - I've got this problem on MC 3.5

3 x MediaComposer 5.3.5; MacOS 10.6.5; 2x 2.66GHz Quad-Core; Nitrus DX Facilis Terrablock 4.6.3 - 3TB [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 30 2009 5:46 PM In reply to

• rhnantell
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 1 2006
    • Posts 15
    • Points 175

Good find Michael.  What a crazy tidbit.  Never would I have ever figured that out. 

Really sucks that transcoded clips do not support decompose, batch capture, etc.  I understand why, but I am mixing so much SD footage into my HD project that I'm a litte nervous about all of this.  If you know of a better workflow, I'd love to hear it. 

• Thu, Apr 30 2009 5:55 PM In reply to

• ATX Mike
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 120

Yeah you'd think they would just add a button to click in the consolidate/transcode window to check if you wanted to perform the operation.  I literally called 7 editors from L.A. to NYC and nobody knew about this.  I did a test project this way and it worked fine BTW.

Michael

• Thu, Apr 30 2009 6:03 PM In reply to

Just curious Mike... did you try this going from 30i or 29.97 to 23.98?  I may want to try that when I get some time.

Work - MC v2018.4 on Win7 HP Z440 with TerraBlock and Avid Nexis storage Personal - MC/Symphony v2018.4 on Lenovo W530 Mobile Workstation Storage depends... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 30 2009 6:15 PM In reply to

• ATX Mike
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 120

It was from 59.94p to 29.97 in a 30i project.  At first I thought it was something I was doing wrong, when I couldn't figure it out I gave up and started exporting the footage as QT movies then re-importing them to the 30i project. This of course was very time consuming, so getting it sorted out was a huge relief, not to mention that I wasn't an idiot who couldn't do a simple transcode ;)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller