Latest post Thu, May 12 2011 12:56 PM by Marianna. 58 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 18 2010 2:46 AM In reply to

Re: Blu-ray Made Easy: A three part guide from Avid editing systems to Sorenson Squeeze to Avid DVD by Sonic

No problem at all - I see what you mean now.  I didn't know what you meant by DVDarchitect at first.

Just curious if this works on older Sonic DVD versions?  This is beginning to sound like the case I had, where I sent off to Sonic (no update on that yet).  The guy could burn using Adobe, and it plays fine - but burn with Sonic 6.1, we get playback errors.  According to him, he said burning on Sonic 5.7 worked before.

• Thu, Mar 18 2010 2:56 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,378
    • Points 233,200
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Blu-ray Made Easy: A three part guide from Avid editing systems to Sorenson Squeeze to Avid DVD by Sonic

Hello Fsancho,

Are you "Burning to disc", "Burning to Volume" or "Burning to file" from AvidDVD?

After that, how are you physically burning your disc?

Is it from AvidDVD, or are you using a 3rd party burning software like Nero?
    In that case are you setting it to UDF 2.5?

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 18 2010 2:57 AM In reply to

yeap, that´s what I meant... sorry, my english is a bit rusty nowadays...

So you say a downgrade should probably make things work? Should I call Avid Customer Service for a 5.7 key and download link? since all the soft I installed here is from a MC4.0.2 software package.

• Thu, Mar 18 2010 3:02 AM In reply to

Hi Douglas, my first attemp was burning to disk through SONIC but an error involved the BD preparation (don´t recall the accurate code) made me change my workflow to first writing a disk image and then burning to disk using that very same image (all of these methods using SONIC of course).

• Thu, Mar 18 2010 3:20 AM In reply to

Before you call up Avid - do you have a dongle, or is it a serial license?  They should have 5.7 on its website, if you have access to the Avid Download Center?

• Thu, Mar 18 2010 3:32 AM In reply to

this particular system was installed with a serial (not a dongle). I do have a serial for SONIC but I thought it wouldn´t work in 5.7 version.

Should I look for Avid Studio Toolkit 5.7? I noticed that the OS description mentions version 5.7 is not compatible with vista, and as I said before, I´m running a Windows Vista Business OS. Should I disregard that warning?

• Thu, Mar 18 2010 6:38 PM In reply to

Hm.. Studio 5.7 I THINK requires the dongle still.  You can still call up Avid, just to double check.  Although the OS is incompatible, for the sake of testing, I'd like to see if 5.7 does the trick.

If 5.7 does indeed play properly, then I can log this case into Sonic as well (with your Samsung BDp1600)

• Fri, May 7 2010 12:23 AM In reply to

To somewhat close the loop on this - Sonic is aware of the problem and have been notified.  They were able to repro the same issue, and got similar results.  I might create a forum soon, to see if there's any other BD players out there not working

Though some suggestions given to me by Sonic:

1. Was the firmware upgraded?

2. Check the BD settings on the BD player? (e.g. is it at 720p, when the disc is actually 1080p?)

Simple things help.  I was told that the Panasonic BMP-BD65P-K will play Avid burned Blu Ray discs (you could go to your local Best Buy/electronics store, to test your blu ray disc, once its burned)

• Fri, May 7 2010 12:24 AM In reply to

In other news - those videos I vowed to post, over a year ago.... are finally up on the front page of this forum (please note these demos were done using MC 3.0, Sorenson 4.5, and Avid DVD by Sonic 5.7, and used with P2 footage) 

• Sun, Jun 27 2010 8:58 AM In reply to

There's something really weird about the tutorials at the top of this thread. You use Squeeze to encode, then force another transcode in Avid DVD. That would defeat the purpose of using Squeeze at all, and it takes unncessary extra time. If you encode BD compliant files in Squeeze, you should set Avid DVD to not transcode but keep-as-is, IMO.

Also, when you export from Avid at 709 levels, you should set the 16-235 option in the Advanced BD settings in Squeeze, otherwise all the blacks will be lifted and the whites will be reduced.

If you export from Avid at RGB levels, you need not check that option, BUT you loose all white details over 235. Also, you would effectively be remapping from 709 to RGB, and then back from RGB to 709 (during encode), which seems like a pointless exercise.

IMO the best way is: export at 709 levels. Encode with Squeeze (with the 16-235 advanced option checked). Author to a volume with Avid DVD. Burn volume with Avid DVD.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 2 2011 11:28 PM In reply to

• Ken Lent
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 18 2007
    • California
    • Posts 129
    • Points 1,375

I am working on a 1080p24 (more precisely, 23.976p) project.  What is the best way to get it onto both a 23.976p Blu-ray and a 23.976p DVD, preferably without adding pulldown?  Can AvidDVD author both of those?

Ken

------------------------------

Core i7 930 PC @ 2.8GHz / 6GB RAM / Win 7 Pro 64bit / MC 5.0.3.5 / Avid DVD 6.1.1 / Squeeze 5.1.1.16 / Encore CS5

Core i7 930 PC 2.8GHz / 18GB RAM / Win10 Pro 64bit / nVidia Quadro K2200 (driver 411.95) / MC 2018.12.9 (Symphony/PF/SS) / BCC AVX 10.0.2 / NewBlue Titler... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Thu, May 12 2011 12:20 PM In reply to

• suggsuk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 23 2010
    • Posts 22
    • Points 280

Douglas

I know this is an old post but I see you advise QT Ref directly to AvidDVD - Have you experienced a washed out colour effect for HD material?

I have burned a Blu-Ray with 2 movies -

1- A 1080i production exported from Liquid to a 11gb Mpeg2 (2years ago)

2- A 1080p production exported as QTref from MC a few weeks ago

The 1080i film is superb quality with vibrant colours etc

The new 1080p (expected to be better) is very clear and smooth as you describe but incredibly 'washed out'

Regards

Neil

• Thu, May 12 2011 12:44 PM In reply to

Have you read my posting about 709 vs RGB levels during export?

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 12 2011 12:56 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,378
    • Points 233,200
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

suggsuk:

Douglas

I know this is an old post but I see you advise QT Ref directly to AvidDVD - Have you experienced a washed out colour effect for HD material?

The closest I come to HD is HDV 1080i.

Job's knows a lot more than I about RGB and 709 levels.
    I have also seen a few others talk in length about them.

A couple of years ago I made the following Video about my own direct - what I saw is what I was getting - assessment. (No technically correct references - just eyes)

But remember this is from 1080i.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
Page 4 of 4 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller