Latest post Tue, May 26 2009 9:23 PM by Blue Crow. 197 replies.
Page 5 of 14 (198 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 7 2009 3:35 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,737
    • Points 227,790
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Media Composer 3.5 Released

Dave G. et. al.

Educational users actually have a very sweet deal for an upgrade. If you buy the educational assurance for $124, you get the upgrade to 3.5 and a year of support. A very nice deal.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Sat, Mar 7 2009 9:54 AM In reply to

• daapap
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Germany
    • Posts 535
    • Points 7,075

bucur.marian:

It's 270 EURO now, so yes, this is happening againg Big Smile

not in the german store, it's still 322.-- euros

• Sat, Mar 7 2009 9:59 AM In reply to

• daapap
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Germany
    • Posts 535
    • Points 7,075

bucur.marian:

It's 270 EURO now, so yes, this is happening againg Big Smile

not in the german store, it's still 322.-- euros, i. e. 407 dollars.

• Sat, Mar 7 2009 11:51 AM In reply to

And here another XDCAM user that bought the 3.x version assuming to have full XDCAM support...

I want everybody to understand that I have no problem paying for upgrades. Never had...never did. Principally bug fixes should be free, enhancements not.... but in reality i understand that this is not 100% possible. In this case I'm sure MC 3.5 has features in it, next to the "end to end" XDCAM support, that are good value for approx. 300 dollars or 270 euros. (I have not downloaded the trail yet but will do so soon.)

But with the XDCAM issue i do feel that I have paid for updating form MC 2.1.8 and 4x xpress pro HD 5.1.8 to MC 3 to have full (= end to end) XDCAM support. I never upgraded to 2.7.x and 2.8.x as it was clearly mentioned that XDCAM was not fully supported.

Therefor wouldn't it be fair to release a MC 3.2.0 version that is free for download for MC 3.x users that incorporates the "end to end" XDCAM support?

Then about the 100$ price difference for upgrading from before version 2.7 and after. I paid more to upgrade from Xpress Pro 5.1.8 and MC Adrenaline 2.1.8 to MC 3 then somebody that already was on MC 2.7.x and 2.8.x. Perfectly fine!

But now those that have paid for upgrading their MC 2.7 or 2.8 version to MC 3 are now faced with the money spend on that upgrade is now just without importance when they upgrade to 3.5 and THAT i believe is not fair. 

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sat, Mar 7 2009 10:38 PM In reply to

€322 includes VAT - net cost is €270

Edit 1: MC 8.10 + Symphony + PhraseFind • MacPro 6x3.5GHz/64GB OS10.10.5 • Artist Mix & Color • Aja Io 4K • Edit 2: MC 8.10 • MacPro 2x2.66GHz/48GB... [view my complete system specs]

Rodney Sewell BFS

• Sat, Mar 7 2009 10:54 PM In reply to

• daapap
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Germany
    • Posts 535
    • Points 7,075

RodneyinMunich:

that's true - not only in Bavaria, but also up here in Germany Smile

but uk shop prices include 17.5% vat as well, so there you would pay 190 euros.

• Sat, Mar 7 2009 11:14 PM In reply to

daapap:

RodneyinMunich:

that's true - not only in Bavaria, but also up here in Germany Smile

but uk shop prices include 17.5% vat as well, so there you would pay 190 euros.

You'll probably have trouble getting the VAT back, unless you're a UK registered business but 207 pounds seems a great deal. GBP 207 = €233 (incl British VAT) = US$295, the US Avid tax-free store price

On the continent you pay €322 (incl German VAT), €270 without VAT

So if we're looking for arbritage advantages, I'd say buy British!

Or is this just evidence of another soon-to-occur price reduction?

Edit 1: MC 8.10 + Symphony + PhraseFind • MacPro 6x3.5GHz/64GB OS10.10.5 • Artist Mix & Color • Aja Io 4K • Edit 2: MC 8.10 • MacPro 2x2.66GHz/48GB... [view my complete system specs]

Rodney Sewell BFS

• Sun, Mar 8 2009 12:32 AM In reply to

• Blofelds Cat
    • Not Ranked
    • Australia
    • Posts 31
    • Points 445

Having had a reasonably long history with Avid, commencing with Avid Xpress DV v2.0 and progressing through to Media Composer v3.0 (after paid upgrade from MC v2.7), I very much regret to announce that my period as a loyal Avid customer has come to an end as a direct consequence of the blatant cash grab that is the Media Composer v3.5 paid upgrade.

Oddly enough the last straw was not so much the slap in the face that was the lack of free upgrade path for owners of MC v3.0 as it was the p!ss-poor 'grace' period which Avid, in its gracious mercy, has given owners of MC v3.0 who made their purchase after 1 February 2009  to claim their 'free' upgrade. Given that the announcement of v3.5 wasn't actually made in these forums 'til  3 March 2009, qualifying owners have the exceedingly generous period of 28 days to claim their prize before the 'offer' cuts off. What a cheap-shot!

Now that my employer, the Australian National Broadcaster, has dumped Avid 100%, I have decided to follow suit and will now go with Grass Valley/ Canopus.

Avid, you shot yourselves in the foot irretrievably this time.

Proudly non-Avid qualified - Avid Media Composer 3 - HP Pavilion m7288a - Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.2GHz - 4GB DDR Ram - Gigabyte GeForce 9600GT... [view my complete system specs]

www.ohmss-007.com

home of:

Far Up! Far Out! Far More! - James Bond, On Her Majesty's Secret Service

The Bondles - take a trip down Moneypenny Lane to a world in which The Beatles and James Bond collide with moderately humorous result.

• Sun, Mar 8 2009 1:50 AM In reply to

• Sylvain P
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 1,493
    • Points 17,680

It's up to you to choose if you need to upgrade to 3.5 or wait till 4.0.

If you really need a specific feature, then pay for it and use it for your work. But, if you only need to upgrade to have the latest Avid, then, you know you can simply wait for the next version.

I understand that some can complain when they upgraded to 3.0 to get a specific feature that was not there, but only in 3.5. But if you don't need it, simply wait and it will be a better deal for you.

Like in photography, if you think you have to buy every new model every year, go for it, but you can skip some releases if you don't need it.

Media Composer 2021.5 (Symphony Option), ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel i7 2600k, 16G DDR3-1600, PNY NVIDIA Quadro 2000 (353.82), Windows 10 Pro. BCC 10, Boris... [view my complete system specs]

Sylvain Primeau

Self-employed worker - Les productions Primeau Medias

primeaumedias.com

Radio-Canada/CBC news editor

cbc.ca / ici.radio-canada.ca

• Sun, Mar 8 2009 2:17 AM In reply to

• cuervo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, May 2 2008
    • Santa Fe, NM
    • Posts 1,174
    • Points 15,780

Blofelds Cat:

Now that my employer, the Australian National Broadcaster, has dumped Avid 100%, I have decided to follow suit and will now go with Grass Valley/ Canopus.

Avid, you shot yourselves in the foot irretrievably this time.

Far be it from me to ever sound like I think someone has made a bad choice. Not my intention, nor my desires. But, in this case, I must add my .02 worth. And that's all it is. I have edius 5, been with edius for a while. While this is a very smooth and reliable application, it really doesn't even come close to what avid can offer. I've tried all the PC applications, and one of these days I'll probably give FCP a shot. But, for my experience, needs, and money, you can't touch Avid. Sure it has it's shortcomings. Hell, they ALL do! But, if you beleive that the answer is Grass Valley/Canopus, well, I wish you the best.

SYS1:ASUS Z97, Haswell 4.0GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, Quadro 4200 + GTX1070, Thunderbolt II -DNxIO-FSI CM171 ///SYS2:ASUS Maximus Extreme V, Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

M-Power Independent Video and Film Services, Sony PMW-F5--Sony FS700U--Canon 7d--Odyssey 7Q

• Sun, Mar 8 2009 7:10 AM In reply to

Sylvain P:

If you really need a specific feature, then pay for it and use it for your work. B

The specific feature I need is XDCam HD compatability. That was touted for v3.1 (Avid press release in October 08). Now Avid says that v3.5 can handle XDCam "end-to-end". I'll leave you to draw your conclusions whether that constitutes a billable upgrade or not.

The specific feature that a lot of this thread has dealt with is the plans that Avid has to dump the dongle. The dongle will still work on v3.5. Avid has said it will no longer work when they release v4. Those of us who value the flexibility and independence of the dongle are making a noise to try to get Avid to change its decision.

The other point of discussion here is the price of the upgrade. Many on this thread are upset that Avid (a) makes those who upgraded to v3 pay almost twice as much for v3.1 to v3.5 as those who now upgrade from pre v2.7 to v3.5; and (b) seems to be so very disorganised when it comes to pricing, particularly Euro pricing (now for the second time running).

Blofelds Cat:

As a proud alumnus of the ABC-TV OOT class of 1980, I've known for years that the last good decision the ABC made was to give to me a job Wink

Rodney Sewell BFS

• Sun, Mar 8 2009 7:12 AM In reply to

RodneyinMunich:

Many on this thread are upset that Avid (a) makes those who upgraded to v3 pay almost twice as much for v3.1 to v3.5 as those who now upgrade from pre v2.7 to v3.5

I meant cumulatively, of course. Sorry early Sunday morning...

Rodney Sewell BFS

• Sun, Mar 8 2009 8:32 AM In reply to

• Moses.M
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 9 2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 651
    • Points 8,200

Sylvain P:
    not for thoose fools who wanted to believe in Avid's  marketing tellung us, that 3.0 would handle our XDCAM issues. as we wait impatiently since dec 2007 for true XDCAM support, I'am afraid, if can't choose to wait. almost kind of blackmail.

HP xw8400 - 6GB RAM | W7 64 bit | MC 5.5.2 | Adrenaline with DNxcel Sony Vaio SB1Z1 - 6GB Ram | W7 64 bit | Blackmagic Design Ultra Studio SDI [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 8 2009 9:01 AM In reply to

Moses.M:
    thoose fools who wanted to believe in Avid's  marketing tellung us, that 3.0 would handle our XDCAM issues.

You don't have to choose to believe it, since the new version has a 14-day fully funtional trial version. So if you need XDCAM issues, and you need to know if they have been resolved, download the trial and see if the upgrade is worth it for you.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 8 2009 11:41 AM In reply to

Dear Job (nederlander neem ik aan?)

The discussion here is not about the question if "end to end" XDCAM support is worth 270 euro. I think it is... as simple as that. And if not, most probably other features in 3.5 maybe worth upgrading for that price.

The question is under which advertisements were avid MC versions 3.x and its upgrades presented and sold to all of us. Indeed the fact that avid now has to use the term "end to end" says it all. I think this a marketing error from avid and they should correct this. "Full" XDCAM support was promised in MC 3.x....it was not there!

Also, those investing in RECENT avid updates, for whatever reason, should not pay the same as others. To draw the line only at version 2.7 is, considering MC's upgrade history, just not consistent.

I will happily pay again another 1000 euro for the upgrade to MC 4.0. But what will this upgrade cost if i now upgrade to MC 3.5? If the current price policy stays in place I'd better wait for 6 months for MC 4.0 cause I will pay the same price whether i upgraded or not....

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

Page 5 of 14 (198 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller