Latest post Wed, Feb 25 2009 8:36 PM by Telegram!. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 24 2009 5:42 PM

P2 from USB from firestore results in 2min clips only.

Can I get "Clips to Bin" to NOT import P2 media in a series 02:18:08 masterclips? The footage would total about 20 minutes and is one camera shooting continuous TC in a multicamera shoot, so it needs to be Grouped to 2 other clips.

The P2 camera was connected to a Firestore and from there is was copied to the USB drive. Upon inpection of the Contents/Video sub-folder, I see a series of 1.9 GB files, which does not bode welll....

What I tried: from the USB drive. I duplicated the entire folder and placed it on a local drive, then disconnected the USB. I opened a new bin and under File/Import P2 chose "Clips to Bin" . the bin was then immediately populated with these 2 minute masterclips. I highlighted them all and chose "Media" import, following the pdf here: http://www.avid.com/p2/P2_Reference.pdf  (I hope I read its instructions correctly) After it finished consolidating, I still have numerous 2 minute masterclips, even though the P2 clips' TC runs continuously.

Is there something where you drag the 1.9GB mxf files into Media Tool and wind up with a long clip for contuinuous TC clips? Is "stiching" MXFs a possibility, as I have heard about with M2t files?

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 24 2009 6:06 PM In reply to

• vvp
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edmonton, Canada
    • Posts 659
    • Points 8,025

Re: P2 from USB from firestore results in 2min clips only.

The firestore (as do the P2 cards) has a file size limit and thats what you are dealing with.  If you take your clips in logical order you will find that all your footage is there when you play them back to back in the timeline.

MC Symphony Nitris DX v.7.0.3 HP Z800 * MC Nitris DX v.7.0.3 HP Z800 * MC v.7.0.3 HP Z800 [view my complete system specs]

So my new wife asks me about my "Avid Forever" tattoo... I told her she's an old girlfriend who was always coming up with new things for me to try...

• Tue, Feb 24 2009 7:20 PM In reply to

Thanks, I see that but I want to Group Clip it along with other material and then it becomes a hassle. It's good to learn that this is a limitation of Firestore and OS.  I guess I'm going to either output the sequence to DVCPro tape or convert to QT dnxhd and re-import.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 25 2009 9:07 AM In reply to

• PPavel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Brno, Czech Republic
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,400

P2 clips can be spanned across files (or multiple P2 cards). The problem is your Firestore HDR is unable to add appropriate metadata to P2 structure.

My solution is to place all the clips for one shot and one camera to one timeline (in proper order). As a source of media use your USB drive or the Firestore recorder. It's the easiest and safest way. If you have more than one P2 folder structure in your USB drive use virtual drives. Make timelines for all the shots and all the cameras from those short clips. Delete parts of timelines and tracks which you don't need. Export timelines as QuickTime reference. Then open new project in which you want to edit your show and import your QT reference files. The advantage is you copy the files only once to your Avid.

If you have already MXF files in Avid MediaFiles folders first delete all of them and then proceed with QT reference.

PP

MC 3.0.5, Mojo, Dell 670, 2x Xeon 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, nVidia Quadro FX4000, Win XP SP2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Feb 25 2009 8:36 PM In reply to

Thanks! PP, that's the explanation I needed to hear. And thanks for your workaround, I'll give it a try.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller