Latest post Fri, Feb 20 2009 4:10 PM by Telegram!. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 10 2009 3:05 PM

DVCPro P2 media "clone to tape with matching TC"?

Can P2 media (DVCPro) be "cloned to Tape with matching timecode".  The gear available is Avid MC DX Nitris and the Panasonic AJ-1400 with firewire. In this case, the P2 files were recorded 59.94 onto Firestore and then transferred onto a USB drive. I can lay them out on an Avid Sequence with breaks that correspond to their timecodes, then digital cut via firewire however I am wondering if there is a simpler, more tape efficient way.

Thanks,

Tele

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 10 2009 4:06 PM In reply to

• PPavel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Brno, Czech Republic
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,400

Re: DVCPro P2 media "clone to tape with matching TC"?

There is a Archive To Tape function in the Clip menu. As being file based I never tested it.

PP

MC 3.0.5, Mojo, Dell 670, 2x Xeon 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, nVidia Quadro FX4000, Win XP SP2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Feb 10 2009 5:21 PM In reply to

Thanks, P. I will take a look at it again, but I've never liked that tool. Also, I am looking for an easier way to losslessly clone P2 files to DVCPro tape so that I can get away from file-based alltogether. Ideally, I am hoping to re-capture from my tape clone so that I will not need to archive any file-based media at all. The main reason I want to preserve original TC is because it is part of a multicamera shoot.

p.s. I have concerns that my DVCPro Digital Cut out to tape via firewire is losing quality because the timeline's quality indicator changes from full GREEn to GREEN/YELLOW. Is this normal for DVCPro/firewire playouts?

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 10 2009 10:28 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,716
    • Points 67,035

Green green/yellow mode should only affect monitoring not the output to tape.

Symphony 20.06, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Feb 10 2009 10:58 PM In reply to

Good to know. Thanks, luca.

• Tue, Feb 10 2009 11:00 PM In reply to

• vvp
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Edmonton, Canada
    • Posts 659
    • Points 8,025

We are using Quantum's SDLT 600A to back everything up ... and restore whenever we need to resurrect anything.  Preserves everything and costs less than a deck.  LINK

MC Symphony Nitris DX v.7.0.3 HP Z800 * MC Nitris DX v.7.0.3 HP Z800 * MC v.7.0.3 HP Z800 [view my complete system specs]

So my new wife asks me about my "Avid Forever" tattoo... I told her she's an old girlfriend who was always coming up with new things for me to try...

• Tue, Feb 10 2009 11:56 PM In reply to

• vvp
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Edmonton, Canada
    • Posts 659
    • Points 8,025

Another alternative, Blu-ray.  LINK

MC Symphony Nitris DX v.7.0.3 HP Z800 * MC Nitris DX v.7.0.3 HP Z800 * MC v.7.0.3 HP Z800 [view my complete system specs]

So my new wife asks me about my "Avid Forever" tattoo... I told her she's an old girlfriend who was always coming up with new things for me to try...

• Wed, Feb 11 2009 3:00 PM In reply to

Thanks vvp, I will look into these options with interest. I see it mentioned here, too:

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/Drivers/PBTS/papers/P2-WP.pdf

At present, we only get small amounts of file-based media as we are using tape and xdcamhd for the most part.

as for cloning, I know that certain DV vtrs can be connected thru firewire and make clones with TC. I am just wondering if the DX hardware can spit out imported P2 media with its TC along for the ride and in turn can the AJ-Hd1400 record a bunch of clips back to back even with TC jumps- essentially making a tape version that can be captured using DNxHD. Otherwise, it seems we are dealing with Transcodes and file backups and right now there are no blue rays or quantums around.  My gut tells me it can't happen, but I'd love to learn it's possible.

• Wed, Feb 11 2009 3:15 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,726
    • Points 44,715

We use your method at times here.  Depending on the jumps between TC breaks you could just stop the Record deck and go to the next clip, crash record and go.

I believe you can set the 1400 to get code via the Firewire path.  This would be essential to this method.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Wed, Feb 11 2009 4:45 PM In reply to

Thanks, Jef. The crash record is an option, but I'm hoping to get a very simple workflow with little babysitting on the record deck.

I have not had any luck finding a 1400 setting that can Regen TC from an incoming firewire stream. I need to scour the manual and I've reached out for help- so I'll let you know if I learn anything.

Every crash record I've done is generating TC other than the P2 media's. I have the deck set to External. What gives me hope is that I noticed an Avid deck Setting called "Firewire Timecode Stream", but I'm not able to find any description in MC Help, so I don't know what that's intended for. Any idea?

• Wed, Feb 11 2009 5:10 PM In reply to

• vvp
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Edmonton, Canada
    • Posts 659
    • Points 8,025

Telegram!:

Thanks, Jef. The crash record is an option, but I'm hoping to get a very simple workflow with little babysitting on the record deck.

I have not had any luck finding a 1400 setting that can Regen TC from an incoming firewire stream. I need to scour the manual and I've reached out for help- so I'll let you know if I learn anything.

Every crash record I've done is generating TC other than the P2 media's. I have the deck set to External. What gives me hope is that I noticed an Avid deck Setting called "Firewire Timecode Stream", but I'm not able to find any description in MC Help, so I don't know what that's intended for. Any idea?

Telegram! Could you not do an assemble edit from your Avid and set the TC in the timeline to match your P2 media?

• Wed, Feb 11 2009 5:43 PM In reply to

Yes, I've been able to do that. The situation is that there are some TC breaks which essentially leave a great deal of Filler between clips on the timeline. But yes, that's a workable solution when all the P2 media starts and stops without jumps.

• Fri, Feb 20 2009 4:10 PM In reply to

Jef and others,

I have a related question about "cloning" P2. I just want to confirm that my workflow, if you want to call it that, is indeed lossless.

I start with a USB drive with P2 media. P2 stuff gets imported into an Avid bin, and without consolidating those masterclips, I place them on the timeline. Next, I set the Digital Cut tool to DVCPro and output to DVCPro tape thru the firewire/1394 connection in AJ-HD1400. Will my DVCPro tape now be the same quality as the P2 media?

Next, I turn around and Capture the DVCPro tape into Avid using SDI, capturing with DNXHD145 codec. Question: Is the DNxHD media captured from my clone tape going to be the same quality as a DNxHD 145 transcode from the original P2 media?

And generally, if I transcode P2 media, will it take a quality hit and if so, how much at DNxHD145?

thanks for any guidance

p.s. my next question will be about timecode slippage (9 frames) and if it is possible to get 100% frame accuracy between DVCPro clone tape and original P2 (using Panasonic AJ-HD1400 as described)

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller