Latest post Wed, Dec 3 2008 3:12 PM by luca.mg. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 3 2008 7:51 AM

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 695
    • Points 10,330

Cleaning Database - How long?

Hello

I have shut down MC3 and I get a message "Cleaning Database - e:/drive name"

It has been like this for the last 5-10 minutes or so, should I leave it - should it take this long?

Is my project corrupt?

I am still new to MC3 and doing some learning projects on this while I cross skill from AL7 so this project is hardly complex or long - 2-3 sequences each about 2-5 minutes of arbitrary stuff.

Normally these things signal a crash and require a forced shutdown, I will leave it until a return in a few hours and see where it is at.

Any advice on this would be apreciated.

MC6 machine: Intel Core i7 Asus P8-H67 64 bit Motherboard 1*1Tb SATA drive - partitioned to C (OS and programs) and D (data) drive 1*1TB SATA drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 3 2008 8:00 AM In reply to

Re: Cleaning Database - How long?

If it takes too long, you could force quit, then manually trash the databases on your mediadrives and have the ruibuilt when relaunching MC. However, be careful if there are too many files in each folder. Also, when rebuilding several databases for multiple drives with lots of files, you risk running out of RAM, and you meay want to rebuild the dbases one by one, rather than all at once.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 3 2008 10:33 AM In reply to

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • South Africa
    • Posts 695
    • Points 10,330

Re: Cleaning Database - How long? - Very long!

Thanks for the response - it is appreciated.

I don't have the manuals at hand so I cannot check this but what are these databases and why do they need cleaning? Is it a common occurrence that MC3 hangs on closing down when trying to clean the database?

What types of information do they contain?

What are they used for? They seem to be transient as they can be rebuilt it seem.

MC6 machine: Intel Core i7 Asus P8-H67 64 bit Motherboard 1*1Tb SATA drive - partitioned to C (OS and programs) and D (data) drive 1*1TB SATA drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 3 2008 11:25 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,777
    • Points 62,185

Neil, the databases are at the core of Avid's media management (there's a whole section in the documentation regarding this). The fact that it can be rebuilt suggests that it is used primarily as a means to speed-up access to the media (effectively caching media information and relationships for quick access). One question - the fact that MC takes a long time to quit while rebuilding the database (each time you exit?) seems odd to me - my question is do you have the same media folder mapped to more than one drive letter (by using, for example, the subst command)? This might confuse Avid (I've seen this happen)...

MC 2020.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Wed, Dec 3 2008 11:58 AM In reply to

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • South Africa
    • Posts 695
    • Points 10,330

Thanks BarkinMadd.

Another chapter for me to read up on. I will look at the section.

I dont think I have more than 1 media folder, but I will check. This has only happened once, (the last time I logged out). So I will try again and see if it has become a regular occurrence or if it was a once off thing.

• Wed, Dec 3 2008 12:20 PM In reply to

Hi,

adamsonn:
    This has only happened once, (the last time I logged out). So I will try again and see if it has become a regular occurrence or if it was a once off thing.

I'm not an engineer, but I usually see the "cleaning database" message after I've deleted some stuff, either straight from a bin or from the media tool.  I think (but I do not know for sure) it's just Media Composer's way of taking a new look at what media is still there and what media is gone.  In and of itself, it doesn't indicate there's any trouble.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Dec 3 2008 12:34 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,737
    • Points 67,310

I only get the cleaning database message when exiting the application after deleting clips, it may take a while with many disks and plenty of files.

Symphony 20.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Dec 3 2008 12:52 PM In reply to

camoscato:
    I think (but I do not know for sure) it's just Media Composer's way of taking a new look at what media is still there and what media is gone.  In and of itself, it doesn't indicate there's any trouble

Completely correct. Avid is updating the database to incorporate all changes, additions and deletions to all projects worked on since the application was launched, before closing. This does not indicate any malfunction.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Dec 3 2008 1:19 PM In reply to

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • South Africa
    • Posts 695
    • Points 10,330

So is there a way of doing a database integrity check / database rebuild to ensure that all is okay?

• Wed, Dec 3 2008 1:33 PM In reply to

Yes.

Quit the app, and in the OMFI MediaFiles folder delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database". If you have MXF media, go into each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder and delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Dec 3 2008 2:02 PM In reply to

Hi Neil,

adamsonn:
    So is there a way of doing a database integrity check / database rebuild to ensure that all is okay?

There's no need.  If the system's working like you expect it to, then the databases are fine.  If you're having trouble, then follow Larry's instructions and force the system to rebuild the databases.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Dec 3 2008 3:12 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,737
    • Points 67,310

You may also want to try the "Refresh Media Directories" and "Load Media Database" under the File menu; these operations were made automatically at each autosave on older Avid releases, with hard drives becoming bigger and bigger media databases management has been changed to speed up the autosave. I apologise for my previous post being overlapping with others: You guys posted while I was typing mine, sorry again.

Symphony 20.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller