Latest post Wed, Oct 22 2008 12:03 PM by BarkinMadd. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 22 2008 7:46 AM

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Open GL and ATI 2900

I know that you might have probs on this forum helping users with uncertified systems but as I do have a very nice sys, used for advanced uncompressed hd editing for a couple of years with Liquid as editor, I wanted to give it a shot before changing any hardware.

In the BCC Open GL effects, there are a general settings tab, you are asked to do a open GL test and if that fails, there is an option to try at your own risk, I did so and was able to use the filters.

Probs might show up when doing more advanced stuff but, so far, so good, this is only a Sd clip.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Oct 22 2008 8:36 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,384
    • Points 233,290
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Open GL and ATI 2900

mjolnarn:
     I know that you might have probs on this forum helping users with uncertified systems ............

I have yet to see anyone refused help here on this Forum because they have an uncertified system.

I am also running an uncertified system.

But from what I have seen in the 9 short months I have been here:
    There is one flavour of certified system!
    There are hundreds of flavours of uncertified ones. That is where the trouble lies.
    People with certified systems find it easier to help others with certified systems - as there is a close similarity in flavours.
    People with uncertified systems may find that they are the only person in the universe with just that flavour.... and thus they have difficulty in getting help. 

Most people running uncertified systems successfully seem to have stayed as near as possible to the approved hardware.

In my Liquid days I can remember how users were told, nay -  warned -  to stay away from Nvidia cards and stick to ATI cards. Probably the reason why you, yourself, are using an ATI 2900 card.
    In the Avid MC world it is just the opposite. Stick with NVidia and be careful of ATI.

I was using an ATI 2900 when I first installed MC back in February this year.
    It seemed to work. But I still went ahead and changed it for an NVidia Quadro FX 3500, to increase the chance that everything would work as it should.

I am no techie, but from what I understand NVidia treats and copes with Open GL in a much more effective and efficient way than ATI cards do.

I would suggest that no matter how experienced you are in Liquid, learn to walk before you try and run in MC.
    Although you can emulate a typical Liquid workflow in MC, you would be well advised to begin learning the "MC way".  There are loads of tutorials readily available in the Avid Community.

Ranging from very basic to advanced. Take time and watch the basic stuff first. It will pay off in the long run.

Good luck!

Regards,

Douglas

PS. Tomas, du får mycket hjälp här om du visar ödmjukhet och inte försöker se ut som en superhjälte from Liquid. Det här är en annan värld. Ta det lugnt.... och allt kommer att gå bra.......

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 22 2008 9:20 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Douglas, we have had many nice discussions, I might start with answering your little " moderation" written in swedish.

Forums, I think, are as big help desks and very big tutorials, very much info to find and to get.

Before you plan to use a new editor, you should of course visit their forum first and my thread was just written to tell those that might turn around at once thinking that it is impossible for them to both start using a new app and having to get a new system from the start that there might be possibilities for them to try, no guarantees of course but it might just work, don´t turn around in the door at once . 

About learning Mc, my new tool, there are lots of tutorials, some written by you, some written by others, you have the " class on demands" etc etc and also the books and the fast help from within Mc , a lot to read and a lot to learn before you can start learning yourself and also absorbing all the info coming from this forum.

All apps have their own workflows, just to accept and learn I think, no need to fight against it.

I will surely need help from many of the experts in this forum but all the basic questions are already answered many times I think, just to do a search or do some manual studying I think, my questions will surely come when I have learned so much for myself that I am able to both do some more advanced editing but also when I am able to absorb the info given and that might take a while, before the days of the GPS , it was much better to read the map whilst driving your car and learn how to find the way to a target by yourself than to have someone sitting beside you saying " turn right " and  " turn left "

I am also absolutely no superhero Douglas, just a user trying to help other users hoping for to get help myself the day I need it.

I will of course update my hardware when needed but for now, this will do for the training period I think, things might change whilst I´m learning

If my thread is offense in any way, some mod might please tell me, just wanted to tell what I found out .

regs

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Oct 22 2008 9:55 AM In reply to

discussion here is encouraged, as long as it is civilised, applies to the rules etc. So publish your findings. It could be a mod moves the post to another forum (like general discussions) but you will be informed  about that by mail. ANd if you do things that shouldn't be done a mod will take action in some way.

Enjoy the forums! They there for all of us.

Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

• Wed, Oct 22 2008 10:47 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Thanks for that Hans, I´ll do my very best

Tomas 

• Wed, Oct 22 2008 12:03 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,777
    • Points 62,185

I've had success with the ATI 3850 and MC 3. The only obvious problem is that for BCC and Avid FX, the reported available texture memory is incorrect (much lower than actually available). I suspect this will affect the number of OpenGL effects that can simultaneously be applied. As a side, OpenGL in AfterEffects is quite good with this card.

MC 2020.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller