Latest post Sun, Mar 22 2009 1:20 PM by mjolnarn. 69 replies.
Page 2 of 5 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 8 2008 4:27 PM In reply to

Re: Newbie question - AVI Files

The differences are because of differences in Avid software versions. Neil, you are using the latest version. Color levels: they are in the "File Pixel to Video mappingbox" RGB (computer and 601 SD and 709 HD. I guess fast now is as fast as you can get it. Speed is also depenant on disk speed, bus speed, processor speed etc.

Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

• Wed, Oct 8 2008 4:47 PM In reply to

YesOkay, glad it's an improvement. Are you saying that it's taking you 3-5 mins per 13GB file? If so, then that's good stuff! It's basically a file copy, so it's down to hard drive speeds at that point and whether you're importing from the file from one drive to itself or to another in the form of a media drive or array.

I haven't been able to get my hands on MC 3.0 as yet, but since you've mentioned image size already along with file field ordering I imagine that in MC 3.0 the "Pixel to Video Mapping" is now the term for color space. (MC 3.0 users feel free to chime in here).

Pop that on 601/709 like you've done and that's all you can do.

Like I said, if the import process specifically says "Fast Import" rather than "Converting Video" then you're sorted.

MSI Neo-2 Platinum Nforce3 Ultra (Bios Rev 1.0D) Athlon64 X2 4200+ (Overclocked to 2 x 2.4GHz) AMD Cool'N'Quiet CPU Throttling 2GB Corsair PC3200... [view my complete system specs]

"When the waters are at their calmest, that's when folk most want to skim their pebbles." - Me

"Be water my friend." - Bruce Lee

• Wed, Oct 8 2008 5:21 PM In reply to

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 695
    • Points 10,330

Thanks for the update -

This fast import is a major improvement so I will stick to that for now.

Just another question on this - does MC3 create a new file of the original AVI file?

If so then is it okay to move the original files offline given that disk space can become an issue.

I see a folder called "OMFI metafiles" on my video drive contains a number of files with the original name of the AVI file plus a few unique extensions and they are each 2096 KB excpet the last one which is smaller - seems to be splitting the original file into files  with a max of 2Gb segments?

I know that I should be testing all this myself in MC3, but I have got 42 hours of DVD to edit for a client in AL7.2 (8 training DVD's) and I have decided that I need to finish this before I get my teeth into MC3 properly.

Playing doesn't pay the bills!

MC6 machine: Intel Core i7 Asus P8-H67 64 bit Motherboard 1*1Tb SATA drive - partitioned to C (OS and programs) and D (data) drive 1*1TB SATA drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 8 2008 5:28 PM In reply to

MC will create new media from the imported data, so you can - after import - safely move the original file away for disk usage purposes.

The OMFI folder is correct because OMFI files are split into 2GB chunks and for OMFI files this is normal practice.

MXF being newer, doesn't follow the same procedure and can easily exceed 2GB chunks. I've got files in an MXF folder right now ranging between 6GB and 12.5GB.

It shouldn't be too much of a worry unless you start to reach the OMFI folder threshold (can't remember exactly how many files that is).

To play it safe with so much data, you may be better off importing into an MXF wrapper instead of OMFI. (Easily set in the Media Creation settings).

I've pretty much shifted my default usage across to MXF now for all media and it's all good.

MSI Neo-2 Platinum Nforce3 Ultra (Bios Rev 1.0D) Athlon64 X2 4200+ (Overclocked to 2 x 2.4GHz) AMD Cool'N'Quiet CPU Throttling 2GB Corsair PC3200... [view my complete system specs]

"When the waters are at their calmest, that's when folk most want to skim their pebbles." - Me

• Wed, Oct 8 2008 5:49 PM In reply to

• adamsonn
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • South Africa
    • Posts 695
    • Points 10,330

Thanks for your info Malefunktion  - it is really appreciated

I have a strong suspicion I may be on this forum quite a bit for the next while.

In the meantime I will change the settings to  MXF and then I better get back to the AL7.2 edit suite and finish this job.

Once again thanks to all who replied on this, your help has been fantastic.

MC6 machine: Intel Core i7 Asus P8-H67 64 bit Motherboard 1*1Tb SATA drive - partitioned to C (OS and programs) and D (data) drive 1*1TB SATA drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 8 2008 6:17 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

malefunktion:

I've only ever worked with HDV 1080i50 footage from a Sony Z1E and it was a pleasant experience at that. I wish I had access to more HDV type material to check the nature of the "Fast Import" process with it.

Very much thanks for all your help Steve, as you wanted some HDV testmedia I have added some to my webserver for downloading.

This is a 50 secs file created by Liquid for exporting directly to tape so that should be exactly the same properties as whats on the tape, at least that is the info given to us by Avid-Pinnacle and this  is about the same content when Liquid has captured the media, it is only video, the wav files are the same I think so no need for working with them and the size is about 160 mb each.

And to Neil, yes this is going to be exciting, a new challenge, I feel very much like one of all the newbees that I so often have wished welcome to the Liquid forum.....

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Oct 8 2008 10:04 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

One addition to the step by step.  The original says:

malefunktion:
    2.) Set your Media Creation settings to correct type: DV 25 420 for PAL DV, DV 25 411 for NTSC DV (typically) and use either MXF or OMF, choice is yours.

I would suggest:

2.) Set your Media Creation settings to correct type: DVcam and mini-DV PAL should be 420, DVCpro 25 PAL and any DV 25 format in NTSC should be set to 411.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 9 2008 12:04 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,777
    • Points 44,590
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Neil,

If you're getting your material from a DV or HDV camera, just capture directly into MC via Firewire.  If you already have a lot of footage captured with Liquid, then it may or may not be faster to import it to MC.  I've never had a fast import of DV material taken from Liquid.  If you're getting that to work, congratulations.  I've fused analog footage I captured with Liquid so I could import it into MC but it takes a lot of time.  That's what led me to get some cheap analog I/O for MC.  I think you've read about that on my forum.  If not, I got a new Canopus ADVC-110 for less than $200 and I got a used Mojo for less than $400.  Both convert analog-to-DV and DV-to-analog and work great with MC3.

Everything once it's in MC is going to be either OMF or MXF (except HDV which can only be MXF).  Yes, MC creates new files during import.  You cannot escape the conversions going on when importing into MC.  You can only escape that by capturing with MC as far as I know.  But, as I mentioned earlier, you can get footage into MC via Firewire without any further time consumption or conversion.  That includes capture from any Firewire device whether it's a camera or one of the Canopus devices or a Mojo.

Scott

• Thu, Oct 9 2008 9:32 AM In reply to

jwrl:

One addition to the step by step.  The original says:

malefunktion:
    2.) Set your Media Creation settings to correct type: DV 25 420 for PAL DV, DV 25 411 for NTSC DV (typically) and use either MXF or OMF, choice is yours.

I would suggest:

2.) Set your Media Creation settings to correct type: DVcam and mini-DV PAL should be 420, DVCpro 25 PAL and any DV 25 format in NTSC should be set to 411.

Yeah, that works. I was rush-typing the steps as I was about to head out at the time. But just to be clear, isn't DVCpro supposed to be DV50?

Okay, I checked. I wasn't even aware DVCpro came in a 25mb/s variant. Always figured it was 50mb/s. Though it appears as you say that DVCpro25 is 4:1:1 sampling, whereas DVCpro50 is 4:2:2.

Guess I learned something new as well. Yes 

• Thu, Oct 9 2008 9:47 AM In reply to

smyers63:
    I've never had a fast import of DV material taken from Liquid.  If you're getting that to work, congratulations.

You cannot escape the conversions going on when importing into MC.  You can only escape that by capturing with MC as far as I know.

Really that's the point of the thread really. To show that folk from Liquid can "Fast Import" DV-compliant AVI files directly into MC without any conversion, just a rewrapping.

Have you tried the steps mentioned earlier with some of your own Liquid DV footage? It's working for the original poster, and two moderators have tested DV AVI files too. Wink

• Thu, Oct 9 2008 12:06 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,777
    • Points 62,185

I've fused DV AVI from Liquid and had it quick-import into MC 3 - it definitely works, but I had to make sure that MC 3 was configured correctly (Format set to NTSC 30i in my case, import settings set as described earlier in this thread)

MC 2020.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Thu, Oct 9 2008 12:20 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Are all of this done on your Vista 64 Ultimate sys Steve ?

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, Oct 9 2008 12:33 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

malefunktion:
    it appears as you say that DVCpro25 is 4:1:1 sampling, whereas DVCpro50 is 4:2:2.

What also can be confusing is references to DVCpro 100, DV100 and DVCpro HD - they're all identical compression formats!

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 9 2008 12:40 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,777
    • Points 62,185

mjolnarn:

Yes, Tomas.

MC 2020.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Thu, Oct 9 2008 12:48 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

BarkinMadd:

mjolnarn:

Yes, Tomas.

Real nice, gives me a lot of alternatives, I also have my second XP Sp3 machine with the 7800 gtx card standing beside my V 64 ultimate editing workhorse, just to move the dongle I hope, can use Liquid on one machine and Avid on the other at the same time and share files over my LAN.

Tomas 

Page 2 of 5 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller