Latest post Tue, Oct 7 2008 8:48 PM by AndrewAction. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 6 2008 4:27 PM

• tears
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2007
    • Posts 3
    • Points 65

Media managing

Hi all. I cant understand why Avid want to organize my media for me, maybe I want to have different folders for each project, maybe I want to organize my media on other place that differs from the root folder for each project, maybe I want to do the things I want to do, and I don´t want MC to do it for me.

It´s frustrating in all the ways. Please, Avid guys, let us do what we want, if somebody want to manage on the Avid way let him do it, but if I want to do it on my way let me do it too.

I think this is a massive comment, and I hope that somebody can write a piece of code for us to do this.

A frustrated engineer.

• Mon, Oct 6 2008 8:27 PM In reply to

Re: Media managing

Hi,

you can help yourself using some of these methods.

I am working myself with VCD for years. It works great.

HTH

pixel

iMac Mid 2016 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / 32 GB RAM / MCA 2019.12 / MojoDX / Adobe CC 2018 / MBPro Mid 2015 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / 16 GB RAM / MC 2019.12... [view my complete system specs]

What is editing? It´s the process of transforming a collection of badly focussed or horribly framed shots containing reversed screen directions, flare and dirt into a smooth visual statement of the script... ... for which the director takes the credit!

• Mon, Oct 6 2008 10:20 PM In reply to

Avid works the way it does, and does a good job at it. Just curious... you say frustrating...Why? why would you want different folders? After a project finishes you could always use media tool or MDV etc. to organize your inactive media. And if you want them at another place (read drive): put them there, but use the dedicated folder names.

Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

• Mon, Oct 6 2008 11:01 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

If you need to organise your media, you can always organise bins into folders within Avid.

Whether someone could write a piece of software to allow you to take over media control from Avid?  I sincerely doubt it.  Even if they could you'd probably end up with a very unstable Avid.  Avid's media management is one of its really serious strengths.  Why would you cripple it?

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 6 2008 11:42 PM In reply to

jknikman:
    why would you want different folders?
    Because it is a very convient way to work in my opinion. Assuming you are not on shared media storage.

Cuts out the media tool and MDV step at the end.

It's easier and faster to move project media to another system or backup.

Often solves a posible problem of exceeding safe number of MXF files in a media folder or at the very least makes it much easier to manage at a project level.

• Tue, Oct 7 2008 12:59 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,777
    • Points 62,185

tears:

Hi all. I cant understand why Avid want to organize my media for me, maybe I want to have different folders for each project, maybe I want to organize my media on other place that differs from the root folder for each project, maybe I want to do the things I want to do, and I don´t want MC to do it for me.

It´s frustrating in all the ways. Please, Avid guys, let us do what we want, if somebody want to manage on the Avid way let him do it, but if I want to do it on my way let me do it too.

I think this is a massive comment, and I hope that somebody can write a piece of code for us to do this.

A frustrated engineer.

My first thought is that perhaps Avid is not the tool for you. One of Avid's greatest strengths (IMHO) is its media management and the ability to manage media across teams of people in the production pipeline. From the sounds of it, you'd like to take over the media management yourself rather than letting Avid do it.

I wonder if someone here could point out some useful tutorials and guidelines on how best to use media management in MC?

Cheers

MC 2020.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Oct 7 2008 2:37 AM In reply to

BarkinMadd:
    I wonder if someone here could point out some useful tutorials and guidelines on how best to use media management in MC?
    pixels.paradise did give you the basics of it. If you search on "subst" I have posted a method here more than a dozen times in the last 6 or seven years. That method has worked for everyone who has worked here during that time.

In these methods Avid still manages the media completely.

It utilises Avid's basic concept of only one OMFI MediaFiles and Avid MediaFiles folder per drive and that folder must be at the drives root level. Then tricks Avid into thinking that specific folders are "Drives" (actually they are Virtual Drives). It takes less than a minute to set up with each new project.

• Tue, Oct 7 2008 10:34 AM In reply to

• tears
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2007
    • Posts 3
    • Points 65

Hi again, Avid cannot live in the past with old methods and close to the world, I have been working with Avid 11 years, and I think that the application is almost as it was in the past. Now we have faster hard drives, faster networks, etc ... and you cannot work with it cause Avid doesn´t want to be opened to the real world. I have been worked with FC a couple of years ago and I see that this app. is more opened than avid. The media management issue is just one thing , but there is a lot of thing that you cannot control at all. As an engineer I do some stuff for my avid guys and each time I program something, I hit with the same stone, the MC app.

I don´t want to hurt anyone that loves Avid but I think that it can be a better app if it will open to the real world.

Best regards to everyone.

• Tue, Oct 7 2008 11:14 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

...and we never saw him again!

Tears, we're all Avid users here, not Avid employees.  If you have a request for a feature in Avid, why not post the request here.

As users our attitude here tends to be, if Avid isn't the tool for you, don't use it.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 7 2008 11:55 AM In reply to

I used to use this sofware many years ago but it only worked with OMFI media.  I just noticed it has been updated to now work with MXF files.  Anyone using this?  Do you like it?

http://randomvideo.com/products/mediamover_avid.html

MC 8.8.5 Black Magic decklink mini monitor MacPro 2 x 2.93 Quad Core 64GB RAM OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 4GB ram ATTO R380... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 7 2008 12:04 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,777
    • Points 62,185

AndrewAction:

pixels.paradise did give you the basics of it. If you search on "subst" I have posted a method here more than a dozen times in the last 6 or seven years. That method has worked for everyone who has worked here during that time.

In these methods Avid still manages the media completely.

It utilises Avid's basic concept of only one OMFI MediaFiles and Avid MediaFiles folder per drive and that folder must be at the drives root level. Then tricks Avid into thinking that specific folders are "Drives" (actually they are Virtual Drives). It takes less than a minute to set up with each new project.

Thanks for that (I missed pixels.paradise's link somehow). Actually, your 'subst' technique is one I adopted a few years back when working with Avid Liquid (now Pinnacle Liquid). It uses a similar paradigm for media management.

Thanks,

MC 2020.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Oct 7 2008 3:10 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,650

I've been using the Subst commands since I first found Andrew's post a year or two ago (thanks again Andrew--solid stuff), and it does make project management easier.  However, it's simply adding a small layer of control to Avid's already solid media-management--it doesn't actually change how Avid handles media, and that's the key to it working so well.  If you want Avid to follow FCP and Premiere and Edius et al. way of handling media, heaven help us and the post industry.

The primary complaint I hear from FCP editors is the media management, or lack thereof.  When someone tells you to Media Manage a project but be careful, there's a serious issue with the software.  If you can't trust your media management you're building your house on sand, because eventually you'll need to rely on it for something.  Avid's media management is reliable, repeatable, and works consistently and as expected, whether you're still using Xpress DV or Symphony.  In addition, the speed at which you can consolidate/backup projects saves you enormous amounts of unbillable time.  If it takes me 2 hours to backup a project on another NLE, whereas it takes me 30 mintues on Avid--I have an hour and half left to start another project, file paperwork, submit invoices, etc....  That all equals money, and is one reason I hope Avid never changes the fundamentals of their media management.

Just another opinion, from an avid Avid user.

Michael.

• Tue, Oct 7 2008 8:48 PM In reply to

thepopester:
    Anyone using this?  Do you like it?
    Used it for years and it is a very solid program. I continue to support it as  the program writer, an editor, originally gave us a great program at an affordable price (by the pricing standards back then) when we needed it. He is also very helpfull in his support.

There are now 2 free versions available, one from a long time forum member and another MDV from a Russian developer. Both do a similar job to MediaMover.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller