Latest post Wed, Dec 16 2015 1:09 PM by taquiman. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 26 2008 11:59 AM

• Snape
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nr. London, UK
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,890

Moving audio keyframes horizontally

Hi,

I have been looking around the site and have not found a solution to this but was kind of hoping the latest version of media composer could handle this....

Really, there must be a way of moving multiple audio keyframes horizontally along the timeline. It works fine on single keyframes by holding ALT (PC) but just not on groups of keyframes. 

If anyone could shed some light on this or explain how Avid editors get around this restriction with their workflow I would be most grateful.

Somehow I can't see an advanced user on a high-end production sitting there manually moving every keyframe on an audio track one at a time, surely....!

Thanks

Spencer

Fully spec'd mac pro 2013 Sony PVM 2451A Avid Artist Control Media Composer Latest Mac OS www.contentcreationagency.co.uk [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 26 2008 12:48 PM In reply to

Re: Moving audio keyframes horizontally

You're going to hate me for this...I just managed to do this and I don't know what I pressed to get it working! 

Try marking In and Out across the keyframes you want to move.  Then hold to Alt and Ctrl and start dragging.  I'll try again and see if I can repeat this.  Marking In and out works to shirft groups of keyframes up and down...should work somehow to move left and right too.

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 26 2008 12:56 PM In reply to

• cassano
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,640

No.  Believe it or not, Avid apparetently never realized that editors would want to move more than one audio keyframe at a time.  Wish list material, at least in versions up to and including v2.8.4.  I can't speak for v3.x.

xw8400 w/4Gb RAM / NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500/ MCA v2.8/ Unity LANshare EX v4.1.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 26 2008 1:08 PM In reply to

Then either my system is going haywire or I'm seeing things...I'm sure I just did that.  It was a combination of Alt and Ctrl and draging between In and out points...I just stabbed at key combinations and it worked suddenly.  I'm on MC 3.0.  Anyone else maybe? Btw I've always just dragged single keyframes myself.

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 26 2008 1:21 PM In reply to

• cassano
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Washington, DC
    • Posts 211
    • Points 2,640

Yeah, like I said, I'm still on v2.8.4 and no common combination of keys will move multiple keyframes.

xw8400 w/4Gb RAM / NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500/ MCA v2.8/ Unity LANshare EX v4.1.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 26 2008 1:29 PM In reply to

It will be great if it's new MC3, though (And maybe prove that I'm not going crazy Smile.  Any way someone from Avid can chime in?  Any of the moderators?

• Wed, Aug 27 2008 11:31 AM In reply to

• Snape
    • Not Ranked
    • Nr. London, UK
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,890

Yes, Im sure when looking through the posts I have heard other people say that they are sure they have done it but cannot remember how...Ill try some key combos and see if the magic works for me.

Can anyone else add anything about this....?

Fully spec'd mac pro 2013 Sony PVM 2451A Avid Artist Control Media Composer Latest Mac OS www.contentcreationagency.co.uk [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 27 2008 11:36 AM In reply to

• Snape
    • Not Ranked
    • Nr. London, UK
    • Posts 144
    • Points 1,890

Is there no mileage in treating the keyframes as an effect..? Im no expert with Avid but when you try to delete an audio track with keyframes in segment mode it first deletes the keyframes then the track so surely avid is treating the gain adjustment as some sort of layered effect...just a thought anyhow..

• Wed, Aug 27 2008 12:40 PM In reply to

Sorry guys, CTRL + ALT dragging a region doesn't work in either MC 2.7.7 or NC 6.7.7. An attempt to ALT drag just put the system into splice in edit mode and highlighted the clip I was trying to move keyframes in.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Aug 27 2008 2:49 PM In reply to

CorneScheepers:
    It will be great if it's new MC3, though (And maybe prove that I'm not going crazy Smile.  Any way someone from Avid can chime in?  Any of the moderators?

Hi,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I just tried to move multiple audio keyframes on MC 3.0, and no amount of in and out points, or ALT, CTRL or SHIFT clicking would move more than one audio keyframe.

I'm not saying it didn't happen on your machine, Corne, but if you could figure out exactly what you did I'll try and replicate it.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Aug 27 2008 2:58 PM In reply to

Wish I knew Carl, but thanks for checking it out.  For all I know I might gone into segment mode somehow with all my clicking away like a mad person, and moved the whole clip...dont know.  I'll try again some time.  Sorry to get everybody's hopes up.

• Fri, Dec 18 2009 5:27 AM In reply to

• erakon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 8 2007
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Dude,

You CAN move the key frames using the ALT button. I did the same thing as you, not realizing how I did it, until a bit of testing and some luck.

First of all, select each track that you want to adjust the keyframe on, if you have only one track selected

Place the CURSOR over the keyframe, it should then turn into a little HAND icon, then Hold down ALT, then you can move the key frame horizontally with the mouse. Do not hold down the alt key until the cursor has turned into a hand.

If you have two or more tracks selected, all the keyframes will follow the top or bottom adjustment. If you want to adjust them seperately you need to de-select the track.

Happy Editing

• Fri, Dec 18 2009 12:34 PM In reply to

Erakon:

I believe the poster is referring to moving multiple keyframes within the same clip on a single audio track horizontally at the same time, not keyframes on different tracks. You can mark in and out to define a region of keyframes within a clip to move vertically, but you can't do the same thing horizontally. Carl is correct.  

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jan 20 2011 3:53 AM In reply to

• yakuba42
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 9 2010
    • Posts 67
    • Points 855

I would use this feature ALL the time!!!

If only it existed.

System Version: macOS 10.15.5 (19F101) Kernel Version: Darwin 19.5.0 Model Name: Mac Pro Model Identifier: MacPro6,1 Processor Name: 8-Core... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 20 2011 4:31 AM In reply to

Yeah, I've tried to replicate this a number of times since my first "discovery" without success...maybe I moved the entire segment without knowing it, thinking I was moving keyframes.

Would be nice though. Feature request please Avid.

In the meantime I'll try cutting back on the strong stuff a little... Big Smile

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller