Latest post Fri, Jul 18 2008 7:13 PM by Pheral. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 15 2008 7:09 AM

video output quality sucks

I've searched these forums for horizontal smear, streaking, etcand haven't found an answer that works.  Here's what I don't understand.  I can't seem to get AXP to give me an output that I'm willing to accept money for.  It all looks like absolute crap.  I must be doing something wrong because this software is obviously capable of the best quality available.  I plug the camera directly into a TV and it looks goregeous.  If I use Digital Cut back to a Mini DV tape on my GL2, it looks goregeous on the TV, but no matter what I do to create a file I can use to author a DVD, it looks horrible.  I've tried QT reference, QT files, AVI output and DV stream.  I've tried separate audio from video and I've tried combined.  I've tried lower first, upper first, progressive, native dimensions, 16:9 square, avid codec selected and not selected.  I don't get it.  I get one of two outcomes.  1: I see streaking with horizontal motion where it looks like the first and second field of the interlace video are not meshing properly or 2: the output is so pixelated I wouldn't give it away much less sell it.  I'm doing audio and video mixdown before I export and I've tried both "Send to DVD" and the "Export" functions.  Can anyone help?  If you need more info please let me know and I'll gladly provide whatever I can tell you.  Thanks.

Rob

Dell Precision 380, P4 3.4 gHz, 2 GB mem (4x512), 80 GB SATA system drive, 3x160 GB SATA Storage RAID 0, NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400 video card, 2x 2005FPW... [view my complete system specs]

"Next to silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible, is music." --Aldous Huxley Robert J. Faulkner Pod 6 Productions

• Tue, Jul 15 2008 2:17 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: video output quality sucks

You are having a problem with pixel stretching. This happens when you attempt to squeeze a 720 x 486 frame into a 720 x 480 output.

So, there are a couple of ways to fix this that will work right away and, when yo uget used to knowing when o use the different codecs, this will get easier.

First, DVDs do not like mixed raster sizes in a QT movie. So, if you have DV and Standard raster sizes like SD Beta or digibeta in the same timeline, then doing a video mixdown is your best bet. Same goes for different sized of HD like HDV and HDCam in the same timeline. Basically, if you have different size sources in the timeline, do a mixdown.

Another ting you can do is output a DV stream from the Avid. This automatically makes your timeline 720 x 480 and your DVD authoring program will like it better.

Try that and see if it helps.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Jul 15 2008 3:03 PM In reply to

• evansmalley
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Kansas City, MO (USA)
    • Posts 500
    • Points 6,370

Hey Rob-

You might have the wrong version of QuickTime too- when I fixed that my DVD's looked a lot better.

Avid Media Composer 5.0.4, Windows7 Pro 64 bit sp1, i7-960 Intel processor, 8 gig DDR3 RAM, SSD 64gig boot drive, Samsung F3 1TB D drive, nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 15 2008 5:12 PM In reply to

BLKDOG, I tried the DV stream before and the output was unacceptable both with and without a mixdown. 

I will check my version of quicktime.  What version should I be using?  If I'm using the wrong one, how do I get the correct one?  Thanks for all your suggestions!

Dell Precision 380, P4 3.4 gHz, 2 GB mem (4x512), 80 GB SATA system drive, 3x160 GB SATA Storage RAID 0, NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400 video card, 2x 2005FPW... [view my complete system specs]

"Next to silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible, is music." --Aldous Huxley Robert J. Faulkner Pod 6 Productions

• Tue, Jul 15 2008 9:56 PM In reply to

• fredthe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 27 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 30
    • Points 425

Just to make sure... have you actually authored a DVD, and viewed it on an interlaced monitor?  Looking at the output from Avid (interlaced) on the computer (non-interlaced) monitor can give you what appear to be horizontal streaking, but the end product is fine.

• Tue, Jul 15 2008 10:48 PM In reply to

I've burned 2 discs but to be honest, I don't know which settings I used when I did it.  I believe the discs I burned looked horribly pixelated which would lead me to believe I did not attempt to do it in situations when I observed the streaking.  I guess my question at that point is, if a customer views the video on their LCD television, won't they see the same thing I see on my LCD video monitor?

• Tue, Jul 15 2008 11:07 PM In reply to

• RUD ONE
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 14 2006
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • Posts 216
    • Points 2,570

Just taking a shot in the dark but are you expanding the DVD Playback to full screen on your computer monitor?

MCA v4.0.5,HP XW8200, Adrenaline [view my complete system specs]

Rud One - Milwaukee, WI

• Tue, Jul 15 2008 11:40 PM In reply to

RUD ONE:

Just taking a shot in the dark but are you expanding the DVD Playback to full screen on your computer monitor?

I can, but it's very obvious even with a scaled window. 

The video doesn't look anywhere near as bad now.  Still not the quality of the miniDv tape, but pretty acceptable.

So, next question: is there an advantage to processing the video through Sorenson Squeeze as opposed to simply bringing the qt ref into DVDit and letting the authoring software transcode the video into a useable format?  Sorenson takes a heck of a long time for a hour and a half video at which point DVDit will still have to transcode the Mpeg2 to author the dvd.  Why bother with Sorenson?

• Wed, Jul 16 2008 5:23 AM In reply to

• Solopost
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • California
    • Posts 1,566
    • Points 18,050

Adding my own shot in the dark - but have you only looked at the DVD on the computer or have you watched it via a consumer DVD player and television? 

I ask this as, reading through the thread, it seems like you have been QCing the DVD on the computer only.

SYS# 1- MC6.5 Mac Pro 2xQuad-Core Intel 3.2Ghz 18Gb Ram OS 10.7.5 2Tb storage (mixed SATA/1394/1394b) SYS# 2- MC6.5 Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz (mid-2009) 4Gb... [view my complete system specs]

My Two Cents .02
    Kent Brockman

• Thu, Jul 17 2008 4:08 AM In reply to

Yes, I burned a disc and put it in my dvd player on a regular TV.  At first I was just using the computer monitor but decided to check it out for just that reason. 

Another friend mentioned to me that having other software like Roxio installed can screw with your codecs.  Might this be causing my plight?  Are there any other specific codecs or drivers that I should be looking at to make sure they are correct?  I found out that I have QT 7.1.5 installed and my Avid Xpress Pro is 5.2.3.  Any compatibility issues there?  Thanks again for all the help.

• Thu, Jul 17 2008 4:13 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

I can almost bet that this is pixel stretching, as I explained. Can you post a screen shot for us?

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Jul 17 2008 4:58 AM In reply to

Here's a screenshot.  On the left you can see the streaking I get with a QT ref file.  On the right is the output as a dv stream.

• Thu, Jul 17 2008 9:16 AM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
    • Posts 1,665
    • Points 19,920

This is a common thing in PAL, but not in NTSC, but what I saw was interlace errors. Maybe You will change the field order in the compressor.

B.t.w, do You use Sorenson as compressor, or ?

HP xw4600, 3.2Mhz, 4Gb RAM, Mojo. 500GB SATA Bootdrive, 3x500GB internal raid-0 for video, Windows 7 Pro Swedish, MC7 with Symphony option, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 17 2008 12:57 PM In reply to

berga:

This is a common thing in PAL, but not in NTSC, but what I saw was interlace errors. Maybe You will change the field order in the compressor.

B.t.w, do You use Sorenson as compressor, or ?

Yes, I've been using Sorenson as a compression tool.  If there's a better way to do things I'd love to hear it because this is driving me nuts. 

I've tried all of the field options in Sorenson, it doesn't get any better.  It looks like that with upper first, lower first, even progressive.

• Thu, Jul 17 2008 1:03 PM In reply to

• berga
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Stockholm, Sweden, Europe
    • Posts 1,665
    • Points 19,920

Sorenson has not be good at DVD. The last version 5 looks like they have fixed some of the problems. I use Cinema Craft Basic, it costs less then USD1000 and there is a trail version also. If it is the codec which is the problem. But, it will only cost time to test the trail version.

HP xw4600, 3.2Mhz, 4Gb RAM, Mojo. 500GB SATA Bootdrive, 3x500GB internal raid-0 for video, Windows 7 Pro Swedish, MC7 with Symphony option, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller