Latest post Tue, Jul 8 2008 3:38 PM by Scott Carnegie. 34 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 3 2008 8:04 PM In reply to

• Just Edit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 25
    • Points 285

Re: How to copy master clips into a new project and link them to that new project

Oh, so I change the clip's tape name using the "modify source" method and THEN redigitize?   I'll give that a try.  Thanks.

• Thu, Jul 3 2008 9:34 PM In reply to

• Just Edit
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 285

Re: How to copy master clips into a new project and link them to that new project

It didn't work.  I copied a master clip from my old project into my new project, changed the tape name by selecting modify set source.  I created a new tape name and this new tape listed my new project in the project name dialog box.  Then I hit yes "set source" and "OK" I am sure I want to change it.  Then I batch captured the clip but unfortunately it remained linked to the old project.

• Thu, Jul 3 2008 9:54 PM In reply to

Kevin Klimek:

If your clips are online, then consolidating is the only way to go.

This is absolutely correct, if changing project linkage is your goal. If you discover another easier way to permanently and reliably change project linkage, I'd sure like to know about it.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jul 4 2008 4:19 PM In reply to

I just confirmed this on a Nitris, not in front the of MC right now, but should still work.

In project A, open a bin from project B, alt > drag the master clip to copy over to project A bin. Right click > modify > set source. Made a new tape name, hit OK to all of the dialogues that come up and the project association with that clip was modified to project A. This worked with both offline and online clips. In your bin heading, turn on "project" so you can see what project it is being associated with.

No consolidating required.

Media Composer 2019.11 Home-built Windows 10 Pro Asus Z87-A Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor... [view my complete system specs]

"Don't go by my script, they're always wrong." - producer to me while editing

• Fri, Jul 4 2008 4:55 PM In reply to

Scott, I'm going to try this on Monday and I'll let you know what happens.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jul 5 2008 2:26 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,419
    • Points 97,410

I used to do this on MC in the past (about ten years ago), but I thought that it was no longer possible.  I'll be interested to see the results too.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 6 2008 2:03 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,771
    • Points 62,135

I just tried Scott's approach - it appears to work - not sure if there are any side-effects to this approach - I'm new to MC so it would probably be safer to hear from someone with more experience...

MC 2020.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (2004) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, Jul 6 2008 2:25 PM In reply to

This is beginning to look encouraging. I'll report back what happens tomorrow.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jul 7 2008 1:04 PM In reply to

I have just tried Scott's procedure and it does indeed work. Project linkage changed. Thanks, Scott!

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jul 7 2008 1:38 PM In reply to

• Sasquatch
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Nottingham England
    • Posts 607
    • Points 7,220

Is that another one to add to 'the things I've learnt' (from Scott Carnegie)

Yes

HP Z420 16gb FX 1500 MC 8.4.0 Blackmagic deckink 4k extreme HP Z400 24gb FX3800 MC8.4.0 Aja express HP Z400 16gb FX3800 MC8.4.0 Blackmagic deckink 4k... [view my complete system specs]

Mike Kruft. Nottingham, UK

• Mon, Jul 7 2008 3:46 PM In reply to

Scott, one additional question because I'm too busy at the moment to try this myself. What happens to the associated media file in Project B when you modify a copy of the clip into project A when you delete project A? Does the media remain on line in Project B or not?

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jul 7 2008 4:08 PM In reply to

Sasquatch:

Is that another one to add to 'the things I've learnt' (from Scott Carnegie)

Yes

LOL.

The side effect of doing this is that the project association changes not only for the clip you dupliacte but also for the original, since there is only one peice of media for it to reference. If you need both clips in both projects and want to make sure one doesn't get deleted by mistake, then that would be an appropriate time to consolidate it.

Media Composer 2019.11 Home-built Windows 10 Pro Asus Z87-A Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor... [view my complete system specs]

"Don't go by my script, they're always wrong." - producer to me while editing

• Mon, Jul 7 2008 4:14 PM In reply to

That's what I suspected Scott. Thanks.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jul 7 2008 4:32 PM In reply to

• Just Edit
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 285

This doesn't work for me, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I copy a clip from my old project (B) into a bin in my new project (A).  I modify the clip's source and change it's tape name.  I hit OK to all of the dialogues that come up.  But nothing changes (except the tape name) the project name listed for the clip in my bin in project  A is still B.

• Mon, Jul 7 2008 5:37 PM In reply to

That's really strange, because the exact same procedure on my platform does indeed change the project name linkage as shown in the bin heading.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 2 of 3 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller