Latest post Sun, Jun 22 2008 12:34 AM by jwrl. 46 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 19 2008 12:25 AM In reply to

• ronn
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • San Diego
    • Posts 1,012
    • Points 12,640

Re: Hows MC 3.0 Holding up!

MC3 Good.

Media Composer 2020.4 with Intensity Pro 4K, Dell i5680, Win-10 64. 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX1060, Sony FS7, FS5, EX1, A6300, Ninja Assassin, Harley Dyna LowRider... [view my complete system specs]

Ronn Kilby

San Diego

• Thu, Jun 19 2008 12:39 AM In reply to

Well, there's not much more that you can get out of the editor right now, so what you want to look at is the system you are running it on.

• Faster cores with bigger cache is better
    • More cores are even better
    • More memory bandwidth is better - the new dual-socket 8600 and Harpertown Macs are using 2 channels of memory to increase bandwidth
    • Faster storage is better, especially if you want to work with uncompressed HD
    • Qualified Quadro GPU - allows you to split the work between the CPU and GPU.  For example while one frame is rendering on the GPU, the next frames are decompressing on the CPU

As I have seen others post, do the math yourself.  If you do a lot of rendering or mixdown work, how quickly can a well-equipped 8600 pay for itself, especially with a Nitris or Mojo DX installed, saving you much of the need to render.

Brian Williams
    Senior Principal Software Engineer
    Media Products Group
    Avid Technology, Inc.

"Be a non-conformist like me!"

• Thu, Jun 19 2008 1:03 AM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Port Hardy, B.C., Canada
    • Posts 1,620
    • Points 20,465

Brian Williams:
    If you do a lot of rendering or mixdown work, how quickly can a well-equipped 8600 pay for itself, especially with a Nitris or Mojo DX installed, saving you much of the need to render.

...It is interesting you mention this Brian. We are looking precisely at an HP 8600. We are already using an Avid Certified system with an Intel Core 2 Duo with an L2 Cache of 4 MB. I'm not complaining about having to render, since the renders now do not take very long at all. I take your point it is better to not have to render at all than to render very fast. Why can't the Qicktime codec be dual threaded ?

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 16 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

The thing is don't peak too early in life. 

• Thu, Jun 19 2008 1:14 AM In reply to

You really have to measure just how much time you spend rendering already.  Use that as a basis for how much time you might be able to save.  I am not saying you will never have to render again.  And it's not just rendering, it's transcoding and mixdown, as well.

For example, if you do a lot of mixed SD/HD material work, you will need to transcode your material before a digital cut.  The realtime SD/HD conversion uses a faster, decent-quality filter.  When you transcode, the converter will use a slower, high quality filter.  That's just an example of where you will still have to sit and wait while media is processed.

As to why we can't multithread Quicktime, Apple provides the Quicktime SDK, so it's out of our hands.

Brian Williams
    Senior Principal Software Engineer
    Media Products Group
    Avid Technology, Inc.

"Be a non-conformist like me!"

• Thu, Jun 19 2008 2:33 AM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,620
    • Points 20,465

Brian Williams:
    You really have to measure just how much time you spend rendering already. 
     ... I have to render just about everything I do to get it out of the laptop and onto a DVD, FLASH or WMV. The transcoding process takes quite a long time, but it now is much faster than before.

Brian Williams:
    As to why we can't multithread Quicktime, Apple provides the Quicktime SDK, so it's out of our hands.

....Sad. One would have thought since Apple uses the same Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad CPU's, they would want to multi-thread QT to take advantage of their own hardware or make their FCP work better. Huh?

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 16 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Jun 19 2008 11:37 AM In reply to

• fiendish
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 512
    • Points 6,275

So Brian - I presume the quicktime bottleneck is only in effect on import or export, is this correct? Presumably, once media is inside the system at MXF, quicktime is no longer utilised. Would it therefore be possible to implement DNxHD with an AVI wrapper and cirumvent quicktime altogether? Or how about a DNxHD image sequence that could 'same as source' export? Quicktime performance is so dreadful on a PC anyway in comparison to how it flies on a mac, not to mention the cursed gamma shift debacle.

z840 dual E5-2667v3@3.20GHz / 32GB ram / Quadro M5000 / MC 2019.12 i7-2600k Home Build / 8GB ram / MC 2018.12 xw8600 Dual Quad 3ghz - MC 5.0.4. on Win... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 19 2008 1:27 PM In reply to

Well it sounds like thumbs up for the new editor,I can't wait for my box which I just ordered and have been tracking everyday.Stick out tongue

Last seen in oh wait

Jun 19, 2008   7:24 PM

Int'l shipment release  

ALEXANDRIA AU 

Jun 18, 2008   10:14 AM

In transit  

HONOLULU, HI 

5:10 AM

Departed FedEx location  

MEMPHIS, TN 

12:08 AM

Arrived at FedEx location  

MEMPHIS, TN 

Jun 17, 2008   8:44 PM

Left FedEx origin facility  

WILMINGTON, MA 

4:35 PM

Picked up  

WILMINGTON, MA 

1:27 PM

Package data transmitted to FedEx  

It's HERE[:P

MC 7.0 Symphony 7.0 Win 7 64bit 1 x XW 8600 quad 16gig ram 480gig SSD FX 5400 4 1tb 32 mb cache drives Pro tools 10 Avid fx Avid 3d Matrox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 19 2008 1:56 PM In reply to

• AquaPix
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 16 2006
    • UK
    • Posts 447
    • Points 5,545

Looks like someone having early christmas down underWink.

MC3.0.5, QT7.4.5, Vista Business x64, Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3.4GHz, Asus P5K Mobo, 8GB RAM (OCZ Reaper @ 950MHz DDR II), GeForce 8800GTX (multithreading... [view my complete system specs]

Andy Lange www.aquapix.tv

• Thu, Jun 19 2008 1:58 PM In reply to

Well it is winter...Big Smile

MC 7.0 Symphony 7.0 Win 7 64bit 1 x XW 8600 quad 16gig ram 480gig SSD FX 5400 4 1tb 32 mb cache drives Pro tools 10 Avid fx Avid 3d Matrox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 19 2008 2:36 PM In reply to

• evansmalley
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Kansas City, MO (USA)
    • Posts 500
    • Points 6,370

fiendish:

Presumably, once media is inside the system at MXF, quicktime is no longer utilised. Would it therefore be possible to implement DNxHD with an AVI wrapper and cirumvent quicktime altogether? Or how about a DNxHD image sequence that could 'same as source' export? Quicktime performance is so dreadful on a PC anyway in comparison to how it flies on a mac, not to mention the cursed gamma shift debacle.

Not to mention the dreaded interlacing blocky edges! I think you have a great point, mr. fiendish... I would so love to see MXF/AVI take over QuickTime! I see QuickTime edges on all kinds of stuff- can't believe more purists aren't up in arms!

Good idea- if it could be done, it should be an option-

Ev

Avid Media Composer 5.0.4, Windows7 Pro 64 bit sp1, i7-960 Intel processor, 8 gig DDR3 RAM, SSD 64gig boot drive, Samsung F3 1TB D drive, nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 19 2008 4:27 PM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,620
    • Points 20,465

evansmalley:

Not to mention the dreaded interlacing blocky edges! I think you have a great point, mr. fiendish... I would so love to see MXF/AVI take over QuickTime! I see QuickTime edges on all kinds of stuff- can't believe more purists aren't up in arms!

Good idea- if it could be done, it should be an option-

Ev

...Yeah, QT plays in studdervision on my system and looks like crap ! No As soon as I get into Avid it looks, sounds, and plays back (even in full screen) just great ! Why ?

• Thu, Jun 19 2008 4:38 PM In reply to

• evansmalley
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Kansas City, MO (USA)
    • Posts 500
    • Points 6,370

let's get up a pro-Avid, anti-QuickTime vigilante rabble

I have a pitchfork and some serious explosions in the FX files

Avid Media Composer 5.0.4, Windows7 Pro 64 bit sp1, i7-960 Intel processor, 8 gig DDR3 RAM, SSD 64gig boot drive, Samsung F3 1TB D drive, nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 19 2008 4:42 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Laptopeditor:
    Yeah, QT plays in studdervision on my system and looks like crap ! No As soon as I get into Avid it looks, sounds, and plays back (even in full screen) just great ! Why ?

Probably because the data rate on your QT is too high for your GPU to handle.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Jun 19 2008 6:04 PM In reply to

Brian Williams:

Tele,

We spent a lot of time working on multicore scalability but there are some areas that we just cannot parralelize - like QuickTime.

There are other aspects that become bottlenecks, like disk I/O, buffers and older SD codecs which have not been multithreaded for compression.

I think you will see that we did make major improvements, though, especially in HD workflows.

Thanks very much for your help, Brian. I have some other i/o questions about the new nitris DX kit and one of them involves the new Video Output Tool. I looked for a note in the manual, but didn't see one.

For some reason, I cannot both Capture via HD-SDI and simultaneously monitor (or record) the letterboxed, SD downconverted signal coming out of the same SD-SDI cable that feeds my SD-SDI monitor perfectly when I'm playing back the 1080i timeline.

Is this Capture limitation normal or a case of user error / incomplete wiring out of the DX?. (I do not yet have an HD program monitor to screen my timeline-- I suspect that this small issue will go away once that's installed)

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 19 2008 6:08 PM In reply to

• fiendish
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 512
    • Points 6,275

I personally believe that quicktime player just isn't very well ported to the PC, possibly on purpose. Compare the experience of using quicktime (or itunes for that matter) on PC with on a Mac - it's much more reponsive on the latter. Just opening qts on the PC can take an age, even a well specced one.

I confirmed this by mistake recently by installing OSX on my PC. DNxHD QTs never play back properly on XP on my crate, they're always super jerky. But rebooting into OSX on  the same system (completely unsupported obviously) allowed me to play back those same quicktimes properly. Not to mention the player opening immediately, rather than the usual ten second wait.

z840 dual E5-2667v3@3.20GHz / 32GB ram / Quadro M5000 / MC 2019.12 i7-2600k Home Build / 8GB ram / MC 2018.12 xw8600 Dual Quad 3ghz - MC 5.0.4. on Win... [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller