Latest post Wed, Jun 11 2008 8:31 PM by bluewank. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 10 2008 8:27 PM

• bluewank
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 26 2007
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,455

a little mystery

For those of us who might enjoy troubleshooting a little mystery, I present the following.

I work on an Avis Express Pro Mojo system where finished programs are finished onto DVDs and S-VHS tape (yes, some folks still use 'em). One recent program, #23 of a series, simply would not play through the Mojo unit. The timeline played fine, it appeared in the computer and NTSC monitors beautifully. It just not play through the Mojo, no matter how many tricks I tried- restart the Avid, reboot the computer, power everything completely down, cut/paste or duplicate the sequence with different timecode.... I ending up opening the bin with that sequence in another project (episode #24) and it passed through the Mojo just fine. But there was no way it was going to play through the Mojo in its own project. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

It is not a problem, as I found the work-around; I just thought I would present a little mystery for you to ponder. (Thunder crash here)

Any theories?

Huh?

Mikey

www.moonfacemedia.com
  • Tue, Jun 10 2008 8:34 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: a little mystery

A simple one. The project file became corrupted. It's a very common occurrence.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Jun 10 2008 9:12 PM In reply to

• bluewank
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,455

BLKDOG:

Aw, shucks- that was too easy.

How about this: Rain was predicted for the entire week, yet today there is a beautiful deep blue sky. How can that be?

Mikey   Cool

www.moonfacemedia.com
  • Tue, Jun 10 2008 9:50 PM In reply to

The prediction of rain was from the Marketing Department.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Jun 10 2008 9:55 PM In reply to

BTW Mikey, when the project is corrupted, delete and let the system rebuild the "(project name)settings.avs" file.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jun 10 2008 10:03 PM In reply to

• bluewank
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,455

Larry Rubin:

BTW Mikey, when the project is corrupted, delete and let the system rebuild the "(project name)settings.avs" file.

Great additional advice- but I get verrrrrry gun shy when it comes to deleting. Could you walk me through the deleting process, assuming that I am a brilliant editor but incredibly stoopid when it comes to media management?

thanks,

Mikey

www.moonfacemedia.com
  • Tue, Jun 10 2008 10:16 PM In reply to

Sure.

First, quit the Avid application. Now in "my computer" navigate to the specific project folder. The path is C:\Program Files\Avid\Avid Express Pro\Avid Projects\Your specific project folder. Find the file - (Project name)settings.avs - and delete it. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing file and build a new one. If that file was indeed corrupted, you should now be able to play that timeline in that project without a problem.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jun 11 2008 5:12 PM In reply to

• bluewank
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,455

I warned you that I was gun shy about deleting. I think I have found the offending file, but I want to make sure before I send the little bugger away. The path was a bit different from the one you described, but since we all have our own paths to follow, I am thinking it is okay. Here is how I found the file: C:\Documents and Settings\My Name folder.

In the folder for the show in question I found a file called "(Program Name) Settings" that looks different than all the bins from that program. Is that the one to discard?

The path you described led me to an Avid Projects folder that contained folders from former editors (I am the new freelance guy on an old existing system) that I do not have access to.

Mikey

www.moonfacemedia.com
  • Wed, Jun 11 2008 5:37 PM In reply to

• bluewank
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,455

Randall L Rike:

The prediction of rain was from the Marketing Department.

Nice one.

I recently finished version 9 of a promo piece for a marketing department.

Wink

www.moonfacemedia.com
  • Wed, Jun 11 2008 5:41 PM In reply to

• bluewank
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,455

BLKDOG:

By the way, I clicked on the link in your signature- great site! I am a freelance editor and switch regularly between various flavors of Avid and FCP. Your pointers and tips are just what the doctor ordered for keeping the flow of blood properly channeled in my grey matter. I wish all tutorials were so well put together.

Mikey

www.moonfacemedia.com
  • Wed, Jun 11 2008 6:24 PM In reply to

As long as the file identifies as "(specific project name)settings.avs" that is the correct one to delete. However, on my systems that file is located inside the specific project folder. So for example, if you have a project named "Midwest Flooding", inside the Midwest Flooding project folder, you should find a file "Midwest Flooding Settings.avs"   Be sure the file has the extension ".avs" on the end. That is the correct one to delete.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jun 11 2008 6:49 PM In reply to

• bluewank
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,455

Larry Rubin:
    Be sure the file has the extension ".avs" on the end. That is the correct one to delete.

This is why I am hesitant. There is no .avs or any extension on that file, no matter what view I use for the folder (list, icon, details, etc). In the details mode, it does say Avid Settings FIle in the type column. All thge other files say Avid Bin File, except,of course, the Project File.

And thanks for putting up with all my questions.

Mikey

www.moonfacemedia.com
  • Wed, Jun 11 2008 7:24 PM In reply to

Well Mikey, as long as the system is identifying that particular file as that specific project's settings file, that IS the right one to delete. It's strange that the file does not have the .avs suffix, though. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing file and build a new one.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jun 11 2008 7:51 PM In reply to

• fredthe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 27 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 30
    • Points 425

Not seeing the .avs suffix is likely due to Windows being set to not display the suffix...

To turn on display of file extensions... when looking at the directory do Tools -> Folder Options -> View (tab).

Un-check "Hide extensions for known file types"

Click "Apply to all folders"

This (along with setting "Show Hidden Files and Folders" and unchecking "Hide protected operating system files") is the first thing I do with any new system I'm on.  That way you always know what you're looking at, without relying on Windows doing what it thinks is bestSmile

• Wed, Jun 11 2008 8:00 PM In reply to

Fred:

Thanks for that tip!

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller