Latest post Sat, Jun 7 2008 2:16 AM by jwrl. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 6 2008 2:49 PM

HD 24P output to DVD workflow recommendation?

HI,

I am looking at suggestions for a good workflow to output a HD 24P (23.98) timeline to DVD (SD) with good quality.  Outside AVID, I am using Sorenson Squeeze for encoding and Adobe Encore for authoring.

This is what I am doing now:

- Switch 24P HD sequence to SD

- Export Quicktime DV using Avid Codec

- Compress to MPEG-2 NTSC 29.97 in Squeeze

- Import MPEG-2s in Encore DVD for authoring

Thanks.

Media Composer Nitris DX 3.5 HP XW8600 workstation Windows Vista Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 6 2008 5:48 PM In reply to

Re: HD 24P output to DVD workflow recommendation?

No don't export QT DV.

If quality is your primary concern then output the HD timeline in its native codec (DNxHD I assume) or Animation (100% quality is lossless) or uncompress. Let Sorenson Squeeze do the resizing and compression. Going to DV first before SD MPEG 2 is inefficient way of preserving the color information you have in your HD video.

If you are going to SD first then at least use a less compressed codec (DV50, 2:1, etc) or better yet use uncompressed 1:1.

MC 2020.6, W10, MSI X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 6 2008 7:24 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,095

Best I've found for encoding is TMPGEnc 4.x Express. Here's a link:

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html

I export a QT reference movie from the Avid timeline. Import the 23.976 file into the above software. Set the import type to 1920x1080 square pixel. Set the output to 720x480 NTSC with pulldown insertion and whammo! Excellent results every time. And very fast as well. Lots of additional options if you want them, such as color correction, cropping, noise reduction, audio levels, etc.

Use your favorite authoring package to create and burn your DVDs.

For quickies, I use TMPGEnc's sibling, DVD Creator. Nothing fancy, but it's fast and reliable.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Fri, Jun 6 2008 7:31 PM In reply to

Excellent!  Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Thierry.

Media Composer Nitris DX 3.5 HP XW8600 workstation Windows Vista Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 6 2008 8:21 PM In reply to

• bobdsf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 12 2005
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 5
    • Points 45

I can offer my workflow for HD to DVD. I use XDCAM HD and edit the proxie files before conforming to HD. When I am finished editing I select consodiate/transcode under "Clip".Then click on transcode and select the appropriate codec. I generally transcode 24P projects to DNxHD 36 which gives very satisfactory results and takes suprisingly little disc space. DNxHD 115 would create a slightly better result but takes almost 4 times the storage. Once transcoded, the new DNxHD sequence is then selected and exported to Avid DVD via Sorenson as a Quicktime Ref file using the recommended settings. The mpeg 2 large file settings in Sorenson do a great job with little tweeking. If the original was in 16 x 9 format, the resulting video out of Sorenson will automatically be anamorphic and ready for enhanced wide screen TVs.

Media Composer 2.8, Avid Studio Toolkit 5.6, Sorenson Squeeze 5. Dell Precision Workstation 450, dual Xeon 2.80 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, Video card NVIDIA Quadro... [view my complete system specs]

• Sat, Jun 7 2008 2:16 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,424
    • Points 97,475

Dom Q. Silverio:
    If quality is your primary concern then output the HD timeline in its native codec (DNxHD I assume)

I use this technique and it gives very good results with Squeeze 4.5.  The only thing to look out for is if you use a 10-bit codec Squeeze doesn't like it.  Mix down to DNxHD 8-bit.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller