Latest post Fri, May 16 2008 10:59 AM by Corne Scheepers. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 9 2008 11:17 AM

Advice with 1080p workflow please

I've searched the forum on this topic but I still have a few questions and will appreciate your advice. I'm a complete noob when it comes to practical HD work, having worked mostly in SD until now.  I've got a short project coming up that I'd like to do in HD (ideal oppertunity to sort out a workflow for future use at our facility).  To my disposal will be MCA 2.8.1 Windows, Unity 5.0.1 and a Panasonic HPX500 P2 HD camera.  The project will consist of short sequences made up of P2 footage and animations rendered out of After Effects. Final output is to PAL DVD, CD-ROM and web, with a master copy made to Betacam SP (sorry, low budget, no HDCAM SR here)

Since I'll have access to all this equipment I want get the very best out of it that I can.  I'm considering shooting and editing in 1080p/25 as the client would like a "cinematic" look to the video.  My questions:

1) Is 1080p/25 preferable to 1080i/50 for what I'm trying to achieve? 

2) If I shoot 1080p/25 I have to create a 1080p/25 project, correct?  Which DNxHD resolution is desirable for online?  And is it practical to edit this on Unity over fibre?  I find that I can easily handle three fibre clients on 1:1 SD.

3) How do I get interlaced 25i footage in there, if needed later? I haven't had much success in de-interlacing anything with Fluidmotion so far. Should I import the 25i sequence with fluidmotion applied into a 25p project to see the desired result?  All I've gotten so far was jittery video. I'm definitely doing something wrong somewhere.

4) What type of comp do I need to create in After Effects and how do I render out my QTs for import into MCA? I've always used QT Animation rendered upper field first for my 25i PAL projects. I suppose I should be rendering progressive for 1080p?

5)  Can I switch 1080p/25 to SD for client preview on a standard PAL production monitor and output to my Betacam SP deck?

6) What are your suggestions for DVD output?  What should my presets in Squeeze be to burn an ordinary 25fps PAL format DVD?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 16 2008 10:59 AM In reply to

Re: Advice with 1080p workflow please

FYI I found the info here useful to some of my questions http://www.avid.com/p2/ . Thanks Avid web team.  Would still appreciate any help with the deinterlacing issue, though

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller