Latest post Thu, May 8 2008 9:31 PM by MAGION. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 6 2008 2:46 PM

• SandmanX82
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 12 2008
    • Michigan
    • Posts 148
    • Points 2,095

Avid EMP

I used to run Media Composer 2.3.x a few months back, and I also used EMP for previewing my After Effects comps.  When I upgraded to 2.8, I didn't see anything for installing the EMP again.  I tried installing EMP from the old 2.3 installer, but it wouldn't work.  Did Avid stop utilizing this?  If not, is there anywhere on this site that I can download it for 2.8?  Thanks.

• Tue, May 6 2008 3:05 PM In reply to

Re: Avid EMP

We've just upgraded our Avids to ver 2.8.1 and AE CS3. My MCA and MC on an analog Mojo runs EMP in AE without problems.  Both output component signals to production monitors.  What I have found is that one of our "offline" machines that only has a monitor with a S-video input does not display anything, even though EMP is installed there.  I may be wrong but I suspect that EMP only works on component (and SDI I suppose) output.

Also, I first had to uninstall the older version of EMP to get the new version to work on one of the Avids.  The installer should be on the 2.8 installation DVD under individual Avid applications.

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 6 2008 3:19 PM In reply to

• SandmanX82
    • Not Ranked
    • Michigan
    • Posts 148
    • Points 2,095

Sorry, I probably should have supplied more info.  I'm running an Adrenaline, After Effects CS3, and we don't have an update disc.  We updated off of the website download.  So I wasn't sure if there was somewhere off of here that I could download it perhaps.

• Tue, May 6 2008 3:28 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

I've pinged Avid and someone in Manufacturing is supposed to get back to me this afternoon with an answer. 

Bug me if I don't post back by tomorrow...will you?

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, May 6 2008 3:52 PM In reply to

• SandmanX82
    • Not Ranked
    • Michigan
    • Posts 148
    • Points 2,095

BLKDOG:

I've pinged Avid and someone in Manufacturing is supposed to get back to me this afternoon with an answer. 

Bug me if I don't post back by tomorrow...will you?

Thanks Blkdog.  Much appreciated.

• Tue, May 6 2008 3:55 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Hey, I just checked and  the EMP is in the installer for 2.83 that you download from the site.

Check your folder again.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, May 6 2008 4:36 PM In reply to

• SandmanX82
    • Not Ranked
    • Michigan
    • Posts 148
    • Points 2,095

BLKDOG:

Hey, I just checked and  the EMP is in the installer for 2.83 that you download from the site.

Check your folder again.

Apparently I'm blind as a bat, as it is sitting right there.  I installed and it works great.  Thanks again!

• Wed, May 7 2008 8:36 AM In reply to

• MAGION
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 6 2008
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Hi, please do you know if EMP works also with Combustion 4? ( On HDMI and S-video output with NITRIS DX card). Is there any solution how to use Combustion preview with NITRIS DX?

Thanks a lot!

in near future: AVID NITRIS DX, PROTOOLS HD 7.0 [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, May 7 2008 5:08 PM In reply to

• m2dpost
    • Not Ranked
    • San Diego CA.
    • Posts 47
    • Points 595

MAGION:

Hi, please do you know if EMP works also with Combustion 4? ( On HDMI and S-video output with NITRIS DX card). Is there any solution how to use Combustion preview with NITRIS DX?

Thanks a lot!

As far as I know EMP does not work with Combustion as it is an AE plugin. However with combustion you can output the signal via firewire from your system. I would suggest pluging in a cheap camera with firewire to use as a converter. Set it up under the "Capture Device" settings in the preferences and then plug from the camera to your monitor.

Mike 

Avid Adrenaline HD Avid Media Composer [view my complete system specs]
    Michael W. Towe M2 Digital Post Inc. San Diego CA.
  • Thu, May 8 2008 9:02 AM In reply to

• MAGION
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Thanks! If the output goes to firewire than it should work. I couldnt test it, becouse I am just plannig what to buy now. I prefer Combustion than AE, but the quality full preview of composition is very important.

Do you have the expirience as your wrote with NITRIS DX system and Combustion? Is the output realitime(...depending on system power) and full preview of the composition?

Once again, THANKS

• Thu, May 8 2008 7:07 PM In reply to

• m2dpost
    • Not Ranked
    • San Diego CA.
    • Posts 47
    • Points 595

MAGION:

Thanks! If the output goes to firewire than it should work. I couldnt test it, becouse I am just plannig what to buy now. I prefer Combustion than AE, but the quality full preview of composition is very important.

Do you have the expirience as your wrote with NITRIS DX system and Combustion? Is the output realitime(...depending on system power) and full preview of the composition?

Once again, THANKS

I don't have any experience using it with a DX system as I am on an Adrenaline box. However the workflow and output should be the same. The Avid hardware doesn't even some into the mix. You will be using the firewire from the host system not from the Avid hardware. It worked fine when I was doing it but to be honest I have since I migrated back to AE at version 7. The advantages that combustion had, in my opinion, became a moot point with that release of AE. Additionally Discrete doesn't seem to be doing much with Combustion and I have a feeling that product may be nearing end of life. It's a shame as I do love the workflow of the interface.

Mike

Avid Adrenaline HD Avid Media Composer [view my complete system specs]
    Michael W. Towe M2 Digital Post Inc. San Diego CA.
  • Thu, May 8 2008 9:31 PM In reply to

• MAGION
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Thanks Mike. I like combustion also becouse of interface - its simply great. I can work in  AE  with no problem so I have to decide which soft. As I see the AE  with EMP would be less problematic to use with Nitris DX.  I think I have all infarmation to decide which software  we will buy.  It will be probably AE but I will miss Combustion nice interface....  Thats a pitty that Combustion doesnt have such good support in this Avid case.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller