Latest post Sun, Apr 13 2008 5:24 AM by mcabery. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 9 2008 3:08 PM

SD to HDV

Hi all,

I have  footage on a VHS that I have recoreded on a DV tape using the Sony HDR-FX1 as the recorder. I am now attempting to capture the footage into avid to edit and export to DVD in HD format. Is this possible and can anyone suggest any must reads that can give me an appropriate work flow?  I  

Operating Software-Windows Xp Version Avid-Avid Xpress Pro Version Quicktime- 7.2 System Brand- Dell Model- XPS Ram 2.39 GHZ, 2.00 GB of... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 9 2008 10:58 PM In reply to

Re: SD to HDV

tainoboriblanco:
    Is this possible...?

Hi,

Is what possible?  Capturing or putting out an HD DVD?

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Apr 10 2008 3:13 AM In reply to

• sasha1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 394
    • Points 5,240

yes, like carl says, we need more info, expecially on exactly what you mean by "DVD in HD format". which HD format? and keep in mind that blowing VHS up to HD could be disappointing - when viewed on a huge screen in HD...           sasha

Avid 1: HP Z420. Quadro 4000, Motu, MC 7.02. Avid 2: Dell T3400 - Core 2 Quad 2.83 - 8GB RAM - Quadro K2000 - Matrox Mini - MC 7.02 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 11 2008 4:33 AM In reply to

Okay, I am still pretty new to this so I guess what I should ask is this. I have footage I recorded on to a DV tape from a VHS tape. If I want I good quality DVD, what should my work flow be? When I am opening a new project which format should I select from the many options? Thank you.

Operating Software-Windows Xp Version Avid-Avid Xpress Pro Version Quicktime- 7.2 System Brand- Dell Model- XPS Ram 2.39 GHZ, 2.00 GB of... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 11 2008 11:00 AM In reply to

tainoboriblanco:
    If I want I good quality DVD, what should my work flow be?

Hi,

The first thing you should do is look at How to DVD on this post, which has a lot of good information about workflows.

tainoboriblanco:
    When I am opening a new project which format should I select from the many options?

When you dubbed the VHS to DV, did you make regular old PAL or NTSC dubs, or something else (some flavor of HDV or something like that)?

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Fri, Apr 11 2008 1:28 PM In reply to

When I dubbed the VHS to DVD I made an NTSC dubs. Is it the 30iNTSC option and if it is then what would be my workflow in that case to get this on DVD? Thanks.

• Fri, Apr 11 2008 1:46 PM In reply to

Hi,

Yes, for NTSC select the 30i NTSC project in Avid when you create a new one. 

The workflow (in short) is:

1. Edit your sequence in Avid
    2. Export it from Avid as a Quicktime reference movie
    3. Import the Quicktime reference movie into a conversion program on the same system
    4. Export an MPEG2 clip from the conversion program
    5. Import the MPEG2 clip into a DVD authoring program.
    6. Author the DVD with menus and chapters
    7. Burn the DVD

The specifics of all of that depend on what conversion program you're using, and what DVD authoring program you're using, and how complex you want the DVD to be.  In that link I provided above, there are a few different workflows for different conversion and authoring programs.

So, what conversion and authoring programs do you have, and how complex do you want the DVD to be?

good luck,
    Carl

• Fri, Apr 11 2008 3:58 PM In reply to

Well, many people have recommended TMPEG encoder so I have purchased it, but have not used it yet. The authoring program is Sonic DVDit Pro. I am not looking for anything complex as far as the DVD goes..

• Fri, Apr 11 2008 4:32 PM In reply to

Hi,

I've never used TMPEG encoder, but I just saw a post from somebody else that said it only accepts AVI files, so this is already going to be more difficult for you.  Avid only exports AVI Type 1, which is limited to 2GB file sizes, so if your sequence is longer than 5 minutes or so, you might have to export it in pieces.

The rest of the process is as I described it above.  Export from Avid into TMPEG, then from TMPEG to DVDit.  As for the specifics, you're going to have to open them up and start figuring them out.  The information in the How to DVD link may not be specific to the exact programs you have, but there's enough information about what settings to use in them that you ought to be able to figure out the equivalent settings in the programs you have.

good luck,
    Carl

• Sun, Apr 13 2008 5:24 AM In reply to

• mcabery
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 82
    • Points 1,065

Tmpgenc will accept Quicktime files, there is a small file to add to it that allows that.  Check here http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/4942/svcd.html and see if that helps.  I have had good luck with QT reference files.

Intel i9-9820X Skylake X 10-Core Asus X299 Motherboard, 32GB RAM, Quadro M2000 video card, always up to date on Avid. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller