Latest post Sat, Apr 5 2008 2:47 AM by Joe Goldman. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 1 2008 3:03 PM

• Joe Goldman
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 1 2007
    • New York City
    • Posts 232
    • Points 2,760

Sony EX - Avid workflow in SD and combined with 720p media

Avid System: MCA DNA 2.7.5  HP8200xw 2GB ram, Four Avid 320Ultra drives (4-way striped - total 1.2 TB)

Workflow issue: Multiple camera manufacturer's resulting media combined in same project.  The SonyEX camera recorded media 1080/24p.  If I intend to edit on AVID and use with footage shot from a P2 camera system at 720p/24pN what Avid project should I edit in? 

What if I need to economize on my media-drive space and wish to edit in 23.976 SD (ie. DV25) ?   

What is an established workflow? (this is making my head hurt)

1. Can I import both the P2 media and the SonyEX media shot at their respective "HD" formats (as long as they both agree with frame rate (23.976 fps) directly into a SD Avid project?

2.  Or is my only choice to import respective media into separate respective projects and then open bins in a common project (ie. 1080i)

3. Or is there a way to 'transcode' within Avid app, from the DVCproHD (P2)  and Sony's EX Mpeg HDV, into a common DV25 411 codec?

4. Or must I be forced to downconvert native media first to MiniDV tape inserting pulldown DV25 and then extract 24p into an Avid SD 23.976p project?

5.  If using the previous option, and capture by playing in the DV25 downconverted tape, can I easily later then batch import the finished sequence to 'conform' to the HD media and output to an HD format?

6.  Is it simpler to convert original HD/HDV (panasonic and sony) generated media, to a Quicktime or ProRes quicktime format, and somehow maintain the original timecode/timestamps on masterclips and then Import to an AVID project????

FCP option: I Just attended a seminar provided by editor's union Local 700, where a demonstration of ease of use multiple formats via ProRes Quicktime.  I have been loyal to AVID, but see FCP becoming a more practical and economical option.

Please convince me of AVID's ease of use, clear workflow and what I need to do to accomodate the above challenges.

Thanks,

Joe

MCA 2.7.5 HP8200xw [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 1 2008 3:26 PM In reply to

Re: Sony EX - Avid workflow in SD and combined with 720p media

Personally I haven't used XDCAM EX yet, but for a start perhaps have a look at Bob Russo's tutorial here http://community.avid.com/blogs/training/archive/2008/01/28/302580.aspx. Looks pretty straight forward.

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 4 2008 3:38 PM In reply to

• Joe Goldman
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York City
    • Posts 232
    • Points 2,760

Re: Sony EX - Avid workflow in SD and combined with 720p media

1. What are editors doing when they want to bring SD material into an HD project? 

2.  What are editors doing to convert 720p material into SD?  (I am already familiar with Opening existing HD material into an SD project, this is not what I'm inquiring about - what I am trying to determine is a recommended practice whereby I don't have to clog my media drives with all the HD material and can thus edit as DV25 media, with a TC and EDL which might later be conformed in an HD project when ready to complete.

*Apple and FCP are using QuickTime files which carry the original source Timecodes, but as far as I understand, Avid's use of Quicktime as a workaround does not hold the source timecodes, so the laborious procedure of taking P2 or Sony EX media and converting to QT to then import to a timeline of a different format will not work easily.

Best,

Joe

• Sat, Apr 5 2008 2:47 AM In reply to

• Joe Goldman
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York City
    • Posts 232
    • Points 2,760

Re: 720p and 480p I'll try to simplify my question

MCA DNA 2.7.5  HP8200Xw.

Maybe my outline above is confusing.

Basic question:

What are Avid editors doing when they want to transcode all their Masterclips which were shot in HD 720p/23.976fps to SD 23/976p ?

And vice-versa, if there are masterclip source material shot in Standard Def 23.976p and I want to transcode to 720p 23.976fps?

What is recommended in order to convert the full source material, and maintain original timecodes of source masterclips?  Can this be done within Avid MCA 2.7x or with Sorenson via software, or must I bring to a post-house and use component devices which I/O playback of all the material through a hardware device?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller