Latest post Sat, Mar 29 2008 1:51 PM by sep. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 28 2008 10:11 PM

• ducktech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 7 2008
    • Posts 74
    • Points 1,055

Ram for Compaq EVO 8000

Anyone know what the maximum RAM I can put in our Compaq EVO 8000s?  I have a couple of them running Win2k and MC 11.8 on the meridien boxes, and I have a Symphony running Win2k and Symphony 4.8 also on meridian boxes.

HP wx8400, MC 2.7, Mojo SDI, Dual-Dual Core Xeon 3.0GHz, 3GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 28 2008 10:15 PM In reply to

Re: Ram for Compaq EVO 8000

Hi,

Looks like 4GB, according to Crucial.com.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 10:28 PM In reply to

• ducktech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 7 2008
    • Posts 74
    • Points 1,055

But is AVID going to have a problem with this?  On some of the older systems, I thought there was a max amount of RAM that was supported by AVID, even if the worstation itself, could handle more.  I could be mistaken...

HP wx8400, MC 2.7, Mojo SDI, Dual-Dual Core Xeon 3.0GHz, 3GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 28 2008 11:12 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

The Meridien systems are less RAM greedy compared to the more recent Avid app. We have (only) 750Mb on your Meridien system which besides works flawlessly. 

I wonder if much more RAM would effectively increase a Meridien system performance.  

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

• Sat, Mar 29 2008 8:51 AM In reply to

I wonder if much more RAM would effectively increase a Meridien system performance.

If you rebuild media databases, (re-)create a bunch of titles, I'm pretty sure it makes a difference. For day-to-day editing: not so much probably.

But since RAM is so cheap, I'd give it a go anyway.

However, I don't know how much RAM the Avid can or cannot work with. My guess would be that it will make use of no more than 2GB.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 29 2008 1:51 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

Job ter Burg:

If you rebuild media databases, (re-)create a bunch of titles, I'm pretty sure it makes a difference. For day-to-day editing: not so much probably.

But since RAM is so cheap, I'd give it a go anyway

You may be right on this point. I never indeed had RAM issues, for instance with a lot of bins open, compared to the Adrenaline, (even with 2Gb RAM), vs 750mb on the Meridien. I can state that the Meridien system's architecture is completely different to the recent Avid app, and, as said previously, are less RAM greedy. Now, effectively, regarding the RAM prices, the "experience" should be made. I guess this kind of RAM is still available on the market.

Job ter Burg:

However, I don't know how much RAM the Avid can or cannot work with. My guess would be that it will make use of no more than 2GB.

That's anyway the more recent apps limit, without the 3Gb patch.

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller