Latest post Fri, Mar 28 2008 10:59 PM by Post Republic. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:10 PM

• sonpit
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Pittsburgh, PA.
    • Posts 8
    • Points 145

Media Composer or Final Cut Studio 2?

Prior to Avid's announcement to lower the price on Media Composer, I decided to switch from Xpress Pro to Final Cut Studio 2. Now with the HUGE price break, I am not sure what to do.

I am a amateur editor that strictly does this as a hobby. Mostly music videos, weddings and family material. I teach myself with training DVD's, books and you guys here. I was able to purchase the full version of Xpress Pro pretty cheap on Ebay a few years ago. I haven't been real happy with the limited effects palete and thought Final Cut Studio would be a better option for me.

I plan on getting a new Mac Pro computer soon. I know Media Composer is not currently compatable with MAC's new OS, but that should change soon.

What would guys do ... Buy Final Cut Studio 2 for around $1,000 (I get a discount thru my company) or buy Media Composer for $500 (with my Xpress Pro upgrade)? Does AMC offer more bang for the buck (especially for half the cost)?

Thanks
    Sonny

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:18 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer or Final Cut Studio 2?

Hi,

This page lists the differences between Xpress Pro and Media Composer, so you can see what you'd get if you upgraded to MC. 

As for your specific effects needs, Media Composer adds some great stuff, and with it you get Boris Continuum Complete, which has more effects than I'll be able to use in a lifetime.  (Currently, BCC costs $1995, so getting it with Media Composer for $495 is a pretty good deal.  BCC @ $1995 + MC @ $2495 = $4490, which you'd be getting for $495.)

If I were you, I'd upgrade to Media Composer, but then again you're asking the question on an Avid forum.  If you went to an FCP forum and asked them what you should do, you'd probably get a different answer.  My suggestion is to pick the one you like.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:30 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

Carl is absolutely right, ask for Mazda in a Ford garage, listen to what they'll say !Smile

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:30 PM In reply to

But, isn't Mazda owned by Ford?

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:33 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

SmileKenton.....this might be a "detail" Smile

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:36 PM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:
     But, isn't Mazda owned by Ford?

And Jaguar is owned by Tata.  The world's a crazy place.  Cool

adios,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:40 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

"turnaround" situation Angry

sep

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:40 PM In reply to

camoscato:
    And Jaguar is owned by Tata

Nope.. Ford again.  http://carscarscars.blogs.com/index/2004/03/who_owns_who.html

**Actually, you may be right there Carl... reading one of the comments farther down the page on that link says that Jaquar was bought by TATA.**

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:43 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

I'm going to be completely honest with you, in your situation, unless you just love the MC cutting interface, like most of us here do, I would seriously consider FCS for you.

MC has a lot of value for professional editors but, for the hobbyist, you really aren't going to want to pay twice the price for your workflow (I think). Take a good hard look. The only thing that may drive you to the MC (If I am guessing your situation correctly) is the fact that you can run it on PC or Mac and the superior cutting interface. If those factors don't enter into your situation, I'd give FCS a serious look.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:49 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

Kenton.VanNatten:

camoscato:
    And Jaguar is owned by Tata

Nope.. Ford again.  http://carscarscars.blogs.com/index/2004/03/who_owns_who.html

**Actually, you may be right there Carl... reading one of the comments farther down the page on that link says that Jaquar was bought by TATA.**

Sorry, this might sound "childish", and obviously (really) OT, but theTata on Jaguar announcement has been made this week.

sep

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:49 PM In reply to

• sonpit
    • Not Ranked
    • Pittsburgh, PA.
    • Posts 8
    • Points 145

Thanks Carl.

I realized after I posted, that I put it in the wrong forum and went back to delete, but couldn't find it.

Thanks for your quick response.

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 4:23 PM In reply to

sonpit:
    I realized after I posted, that I put it in the wrong forum and went back to delete, but couldn't find it.

Hi,

You're not wrong; I meant you'd get different responses on a Final Cut Pro forum, as opposed to this one, which is for Avid.

sep:
    Sorry, this might sound "childish", and obviously (really) OT, but theTata on Jaguar announcement has been made this week.

You gotta stay on top of stuff if you want to keep up with me! Stick out tongue

adios,
    Carl

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 8:55 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,105
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

well this may be an avid forum but I'm familiar with both and for your purposes I'd say hands-down FCS. Half the price, fantastic integration between the bundled programs for DVD creation and much easier to experiment with effects.

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 28 2008 9:44 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,620

camoscato:

You gotta stay on top of stuff if you want to keep up with me! Stick out tongue

You impressed me, I will be wise!Cool

sep

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 10:59 PM In reply to

Yes, for your purposes, I'd say FCS is probably the most sensible solution.  MC is all about cutting, really - and it does that very, very well.  FCS is far more flexible/versatile and if you want the Avid equivalent to all those features you're talking about serious money and a lot more than just MC Soft.

1xMacPro dual quad 3.0Ghz 10GB RAM with Symphony6 + Mojo DX; 1xMacPro dual quad 3.0Ghz 8GB RAM with MC6+ Kona LHi; 1xMacPro dual quad Westmere 2.4GHz with... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller