Latest post Fri, Mar 28 2008 9:32 PM by skinnymc. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 28 2008 3:02 AM

• sajc05
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 13 2008
    • Posts 14
    • Points 200

question about external hard drives

i've been having trouble saving titles so i recently bought time capsule 500gb external hard drive. i set it up but i can't get avid to recognize it. when i go to save my title it only gives me the option to to the internal HD....  

anybody know what i should do cause i've been pulling out my hair for a couple weeks now... and i like my hair.

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 5:52 AM In reply to

• jasperfdo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 11 2006
    • Santa Monica
    • Posts 671
    • Points 8,845

Re: question about external hard drives

first of all, does your operating system see the drive? that is the thing to check.  make sure your OS sees the drive and has a formatted partition on it.

next, create an OMFI MediaFiles folder (using that same case) on the external drive. 

hook it up and power it on BEFORE opening Avid. 

MacBook Pro Retina / El Capitan / 16GB RAM / G-Studio Drive System / Media Composer 8.6.x [view my complete system specs]

kyler boudreau | www.theatereleven.com

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 7:19 AM In reply to

Hi,

In addition to Kyler's excellent suggestions, also take a look at the Drive Filtering & Indexing tab of your Media Creation settings, and make sure Drive Filtering Based on Resolution is unchecked.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 11:35 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

One other thought. Are you using that Time Capsule drive wirelessly? If you are, I don't think the Avid will recognize it.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 1:46 PM In reply to

• sajc05
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 200

thanks for the tips guys,

TC is hooked up by an ethernet cable. its recognized on my desk top.  and media file filters are turned off on avid.

I'm not sure how to create an OMFI media file folder. is it just clicking on time capsule selecting on "new folder"?   anything need to be done after that?

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 1:57 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Well, here's the thing, if the Avid doesn't see it as a valid drive, putting an OMFI folder on it should not make a difference.

How is that drive formatted? What made you choose the TC drive as opposed to a regular FW drive?

One last aside, just from personal experience, you won't be happy with the playback from a USB drive. The really are last in the line of drive choices for me.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:13 PM In reply to

• sajc05
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 200

well TC is an apple product so i thought it might work best with my powermac and i going to get a macbook pro with final cut soon and this hard drive can work with both. (and i had an iphone rebate that would save me money on buying an apple hard drive)

on the info tab is has "format" listed as "apple share", is that what you meant? and by creating a omfi folder i just click on the TC and create a new folder named OMFI folder?

BLKDOG, we've spoken about this before, and i'm just at wits end trying to save titles. before it was the "disc access denied" now i cant get an external disc recognized. i appreciate your trying to help me out. 

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:19 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

I remember. I hope we can get this worked out for you soon.

The Apple Share format is the problem here. In order for the drive to be recognized, you need to format it as HFS plus. The good new is the drive should work then, the bad news is, you can't use it as a TC drive anymore.

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:23 PM In reply to

Isn't Time Capsule mostly intended as a backup storage?  Being that it's wireless I don't know that I'd ever rely on it to access "live" media from.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:31 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

It's actually just a HD but it's the formatting that makes it a wireless backup device. My best recommendation would be to return it and spend the same money on a G-raid drive.

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:34 PM In reply to

• sajc05
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 200

it can be wireless but i do have it attached to my computer via ethernet cable.

what i'm gathering is that the obvious thing is that i should not have gone with the time capsule.  Those dang apple people told me it was perfect for video editing (i guess they meant only as a backup) maybe i should return it. if i reformat it would it be worth it cause it cost 300$. and is reformatting a headache?

BLKDOG, if i go with another, i think you recomended a hard drive before, do you have a link or something to that again? can i get it to work with both my powermac and macbook pro? 

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:39 PM In reply to

Ethernet? 

I think I'd just return it and go with a G-RAID FW800... it'll be much faster and reliable.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:41 PM In reply to

• sajc05
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 200

i've got to get in my car now, i'll check back later, again thanks for the help, and i'm sure i'll have more questions.  i guess i'll either reformat or return it and buy another. 

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 5:52 PM In reply to

• sajc05
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 200

hey, is this what i should go for?

http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-RAID2.cfm

500GB for $349? or if i feel like putting up the extra money go for 1000mb? 

• Fri, Mar 28 2008 6:43 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

I have several of those drives and Love them.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller